Marlboro Brass

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetijuanataxi

It's obvious from the many pictures we've seen from that time period that Herb Alpert smoked during the Tijuana Brass era. Does anyone know definitively when and if he quit? I personally haven't seen any of him smoking after the original Brass disbanded, but I was wondering if anyone really knows. How about Lani?

David,
asking what I believe is a "first run" question on the Forum

I don't know about Herb but I read that Karen smoked! I can't believe that she ever would. :o If she did, then how could she have that beautiful voice. Was this just made up :?:

Andrew
...can't belive that Karen would smoke...

Don't know about Karen, but I've seen Richard pictured holding a cigarette, standing next to Herb, as a matterr of fact.

David

If he did smoke, he would have stop smoking when he fell into a serious health problem, I don't remember when though.

Wasn't it UK's tv show Yesterday Once More which gueststarred Herbie and other artists related to C's like Paul Williams and John Denver?
When he appeared on it, he looked so thin.

It was poignant to see him looking so sad and down talking about Karen and it almost put me in tears.

thetijuanataxi said:
It's obvious from the many pictures we've seen from that time period that Herb Alpert smoked during the Tijuana Brass era. Does anyone know definitively when and if he quit? I personally haven't seen any of him smoking after the original Brass disbanded, but I was wondering if anyone really knows. How about Lani?

David,
asking what I believe is a "first run" question on the Forum

I have a couple pictures of Herb smoking, too. One next to Sergio Mendes on the back cover of H.A. Presents... and Segio may be holding a cigarette there, as well. :o

I have never seen Karen nor Richard smoking, myself. I guess even a nice, clean cut family can have vices like the rest of us, though. I know, 'cause I've seen a lot in my lifetime--not to diminish any GOOD qulities... :angel:

Hoping this touchy topic doesn't cause toooo much of a stir or takes away any musical qualities... :shock:

Dave

...who also "used to smoke (ALMOST!) anything that would burn", myself :bandit: ...check out my Rougues Gallery photo... :twisted:

Richard did smoke.
As an evidence, check out I Need To Be in Love video, in which Richard appears seated aboard with smoke going up.

Also in 1983 when he came to Alfa Records, Japan for promoting Voice Of The Heart, I had a chance to meet him for the first time and I saw him smoking right in front of me.
A little later he put out the cigarette and I checked it out to find out the brand: Saratoga.

Of course I didn't have the nerve to ask about his smoking habit.
But I was worried about the effect on his voice.

Richard Did Smoke Cigarettes Occasionally During Carpenters Active Career - Must Have Been Another Shock to Those Critics Who Labelled Carpenters Square , Squeaky Clean .....ETC :shock:

Believe Richard Now Enjoys Cigars With Brandy or Fine Wine As a Treat - Certainly Not Chain Smoker .....

Peter

Sergio Mendes smokes cigars, at least in some photos.

Peter J, your posts would be MUCH easier to read if you would not Capitalize Every Word. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom