📜 Feature What happens to our music collections after we're gone?

Feature article
Has anyone ever considered what might happen to their music collection, or any collection for that matter, after they've passed away? I realize this is a morbid topic for some, but I'm sure it has crossed our minds at some point.

1694463145357.pngAs I get older, I can't help but wonder what the options are. None of them sit well with me (largely because I'm still here alive and kicking for the time being), but these are possible outcomes.

Downsizing the collection as we get older.
I don't need to get rid of everything in one fell swoop. But downsizing is something that any of us could do easily, even today, just to free up some room. How many items do we own that we've forgotten about? How many have we listened to once and don't care to ever hear it again? Do we have duplicates, including special editions of favorite albums that we may have played once or twice? One day, count up the number of items you have collected, and estimate the amount of time it would take you to listen to play through your entire collection once. If it is double or triple your expected lifespan, that might be motivation to start weeding out all of those collection fillers that you may never crack open again. There are plenty of opportunities to weed out the collection and still leave us with a sizable amount to listen to.​
Handing them down to future generations.
This is something to consider for those who have children and grandchildren. I essentially have my parents' records still in storage, and have cherry-picked some of the better ones. I even have a few left from my grandmother's house (mostly classical), and more from a couple other family members. Collectors like me who have very wide listening habits will have a very diverse collection, so it's very likely my successors in life will not like some (if not most) of what I've collected. If the collection gets large enough, though, it can be too much for one person to take in. But at least some of it will be preserved. The rest? The following options cover those.​
Selling piece by piece, online.
A job I would wish on nobody. It's like running a record store--constant shipping, collecting money, dealing with angry buyers and returns. Maybe for the patient among our successors? At most, I could see holding onto the most valuable items and selling those off separately but otherwise, the bulk of the collection should be handed off using other methods. This method would, however, bring the most money out of a collection...provided the seller has the patience to do all the work and wait likely years before seeing a majority of the collection sold off.​
Selling in bulk to a record store.
While the offer will be lower than selling things piece by piece, it covers a few issues at once. First, there is often no effort involved beyond cashing the check. Next, the dealer will usually come by with boxes and equipment to haul them away, if the collection is large enough, saving a lot of sweat and labor. Also, it gets the collection handled in one easy transaction, and the space is quickly freed up for other things.​
Estate sale.
Possibly, but it often doesn't end well. Some estate sales price things too greedily. Others don't know what they have, and the resulting sale is like a feeding frenzy where other collectors rush in and try to grab what they want before someone else gets it. Worse, what happens at the end of the estate sale after the popular items have sold and the rest of the collection remains? (I saw this at a big estate sale where the entire garage and enclosed porch were filled with records. There were tens of thousands of 45s remaining when I visited, and thousands of LPs.) Most likely, the family will have to use one of the other methods listed here to get rid of everything.​
Selling locally.
This is similar to an estate sale, only the items are listed as public ads on Craigslist, Marketplace, etc. Based on personal experience in my locale, this is something I don't recommend. Few would ever pay an asking price. Most will lowball the asking price. Many will severely lowball the asking price, and toss in a few insults to your intelligence. ("I sell these all day long--I know what they're worth.") That and having to constantly leave the house to meet up with buyers in a public place (I would never let these buyers into my home) gets tiring. The only possible bright side to this is that a dealer sees the ad and that opens a conversation to selling in bulk, as I've mentioned above.​
Donating.
Outside of thrift organizations, I can't think of other places to donate a collection. Libraries seemingly don't want to handle vinyl or even CDs anymore. And donating to a thrift store environment results in no cash either, beyond a receipt for a donation that may not even be of any use. (One has to itemize deductions in the US in order to apply donations.) One also has to cringe at the typical thrift store environment, and how a collection would be handled by the grubby-handed public. I'd send old appliances and furniture to the thrift stores, but not something as personal as a record collection.​

In my case, my family knows that my collection is theirs once I'm done on this planet, and is theirs to do whatever they please with it. Likewise, I don't worry about it. But I do get a little concerned that I need to weed things out due to an overall downsizing phase in life we're going through right now. Physical media will always be with me, so I just need to keep myself concerned with keeping the collection at an optimum size more for my own sanity than for those who have to deal with it when I'm gone.

What are your thoughts?

Good topic, Rudy. It deserves some thought.

Being left with a massive collection of music whether they are 78s, LPs CDs, whatever, is daunting to someone that has no interest in it.

I hold on to hope that someone in my third generation has an interest in appreciating some of my collection. The second generation did not get into records or even CDs other than what was trending, although the second generation holds dear to what is important to me so my collection has that in its’ corner.

In today’s world, time is the issue. There are too many variables. Will beneficiaries even have the time and patience to go through what is in the collection and can they store it if they do keep it? Will they pick up the baton in the spirit of preservation and appreciation? If that is not likely, should there be a directive or just do it now while we’re here?

I have run through the scenarios a few times. There is one thing that keeps coming back to me. That anyone with a similar enthusiasm for the records/CDs, get to enjoy them. Of course, not everyone will have the same enthusiasm for all of it. Some will dig the rock collection but not so much the jazz. I don’t worry about what will happen to my listening equipment and my rock collection stands a pretty good chance of thriving in my nucleus.

Our collections came to be from the different musical paths we have found ourselves on during our lifetime. That is part of why I joined this little A&M forum, to engage in the company of others that appreciate what I also have come to appreciate. So, in the interest of this thread topic, I will do a little further fishing at various dinner tables, but don’t be too surprised if one day a new member asks you all if you are interested in a Carpenters, Jazz, Bossa Nova or Herb Alpert collection lol.

Last edited:
Being left with a massive collection of music whether they are 78s, LPs CDs, whatever, is daunting to someone that has no interest in it.
That's the thing, too. If there is a musically adventurous member of the family, or a close friend, who likes a lot of the same music, they might appreciate a lot of it. I also admit that my collection is not as large as many others I know but even so, for a person who might have 50-100 titles in their possession, the prospect of getting a couple thousand recordings in various formats is daunting.

The one thing saving me here is that with all of my digital collection now stored on a server, someone could take the entire collection in a package that will fit inside a canvas tote bag, and freely get rid of the physical versions of all of these. Even now in my downsizing phase, I'm looking at getting rid of the bulk of these so I don't have to move them during a relocation. The vinyl is a lot more cumbersome to move, but there's no easy way to replace those.

Of course, not everyone will have the same enthusiasm for all of it. Some will dig the rock collection but not so much the jazz. I don’t worry about what will happen to my listening equipment and my rock collection stands a pretty good chance of thriving in my nucleus.
My system probably will end up with my youngest, so at least it could be put to use. If not, at least it's at a level where it could fetch a good sum on today's used market. All the cheaper stuff I have stored away, well...I'm almost at the point where I can't even give it away. If that all ended up at a thrift store when I'm gone, I wouldn't care. 😁

Agreed on the music, although tastes change. My youngest has her own eclectic taste in music (she knows bands I've never heard of, yet her last concert was two weeks ago--Alice Cooper and Rob Zombie 😁), and I know my taste has grown many times larger than when I was at that age. I'm listening to music now that I didn't even know existed decades ago.

I think about it often. I have no idea what will happen to my collection when I go. I have zero family, and most friends are the same age or older.
Maybe a huge sale in a few years. Then a long trip, if I’m able. I definitely need to sit down, and do a trust soon. A will is good for the government, a trust isn’t. I have so much stuff it’s insane. I have one younger friend that will be my executor, but has zero interest in my stuff. Just the condo, lol.
It’s a great question Rudy. It bothers me, that there are few, if any, that will, or could appreciate all the collections I have. One of my best friends died in 2011, and his brother, only relative, gave 90% of his collections, and $500,00-$1,000,000 soundtrack collection to USC Film School. They made a room just for the massive collection so future film music composers can listen to what has been done in the past. He gave me about 500 movie theater one sheets, and Disney memorabilia It was a massive amount of posters. I still have about half of them. I made about $8,500 selling the rare ones to a dealer on EBay. He’s more than doubled his money back. The rarest one from Back To The Future, was actually a giveaway from the sponsor. Pop tarts! Send in the box tops, get a free poster. He sold it for $2,695. It took 2 years to sell it at that price, but nice check for me. Anyway, sad but necessary topic for the boomers on here. Thanks again Rudy.

I have zero family, and most friends are the same age or older.
I don't have much family, so I'm in a similar place. My cousins scattered all over the country so I'm not in touch with them anymore either.

I think the question for many of us is whether we keep it all until the end, or start breaking it down in groups and get rid of some of it while we are still here to oversee it.

Where I've gotten burned is on the CD collection. So many are worth so little now that it would cost more to sell and ship them than they are even worth. Nobody wants them. Our local record store, a few blocks away, can't even sell their inventory at 25 cents apiece during their sidewalk sales. Another nearby store won't even buy them. Unless it's a sought-after title, the bread and butter or low-interest titles just don't move.

I did make the wise move to stop buying anything physical in the digital realm, so unless I can only find a rare title on CD, I don't have more useless stuff cluttering up the storage. (Sad thing is, legally, I need to keep the physical copies.) At least vinyl feels more collectible to me these days, and I get a lot more value out of playing it. Even there, though, there are titles I've bought that I rarely listen to, and I'm at a point now where even the vinyl collection is due to get some major trimming in the coming months.

My system probably will end up with my youngest, so at least it could be put to use. If not, at least it's at a level where it could fetch a good sum on today's used market.
Now that I have thought about this some, I am envisioning my third generation using my speakers for gaming systems 👀
Agreed on the music, although tastes change. My youngest has her own eclectic taste in music (she knows bands I've never heard of, yet her last concert was two weeks ago--Alice Cooper and Rob Zombie 😁), and I know my taste has grown many times larger than when I was at that age. I'm listening to music now that I didn't even know existed decades ago.
Same here :)

You’re right. Most CDs have lost their value, if it’s a massively pressed one. There are lots on line, but often the shipping is more than the cd. Especially titles from England and Japan. $18-$25 for shipping is crazy. I sold 75% of my vinyl in the 90’s. Some regrets, but I have the CDs of most of them anyway.

If anything, I wish I had held onto all the vinyl I stupidly got rid of when CDs came along. Some I can't even replace anymore, like my release-week pressing of Thriller which sounded better than any version I've heard. (I can only hope I may have given it to a buddy of mine, and that he still has it.)

Mainly, the few CDs I'll buy today are imports of titles never released in the US. So those at least have some rarity to them. But if you visit any used record store or other big sales, you'll see titles like Natalie Merchant's Tigerlily multiple times. (Even a decade or so ago when I used to hit the thrift stores, I was seeing multiple copies of that CD, and others!)

My only saving grace now is that since hipsters have become fixated on cassettes, maybe I can sell mine and actually be able to retire. 😁

My only saving grace now is that since hipsters have become fixated on cassettes, maybe I can sell mine and actually be able to retire. 😁
I sent my cassettes to the landfill a few years ago, right after my last tape deck crapped out. At the time, even the thrift stores didn't want them. If I had only held on to them, I could have been rich! (or at least retired a whole day earlier) :laugh:

I sent my cassettes to the landfill a few years ago, right after my last tape deck crapped out. At the time, even the thrift stores didn't want them. If I had only held on to them, I could have been rich! (or at least retired a whole day earlier) :laugh:
My pre-recorded tapes don't really amount to many titles. But I have to be careful with the tapes I recorded myself, as there are some live recordings I need to digitize and keep safe. I'll still hold onto all of my blank metal tapes (TDK MA, Sony Metal ES, etc.) as they work best in my deck. I do have some sealed Denon Type II cassettes I could probably make some money on, though. I doubt anyone would want my already-recorded tapes, although I may still bulk erase them and give it a try. The prices for blank cassettes these days have also gone insane.

Morbid much lately?
:laugh:

But seriously, it IS a good topic and (not surprisingly) one I've been thinking about more and more lately -- especially after dealing with my Mom and Stepdad's stuff. More books and music than I could probably take, and I wish I had been able to take my Dad's record collection when he died in 2005, but it was bigger than my own collection.

My kids are not interested in ANY of my music collection. Their attitude is "why do you have these -- you can listen to any of them any time online." Which, of course is NOT 100% true (though when I tested them a surprising amount of what I thought would NEVER be online or available digitally actually WAS online).

Same with my huge library of books. There is no interest from my progeny.

My daughter may be interested in my odd collections like my fast food restaurant movie tie-in packaging (mostly Disney)... I'm not just talking kid-meal toys, but the custom printed beverage cups, fry containers, tray covers and even food wrappers... And my son has expressed interest in my Coke cans and bottles from around the world. But that's about it...

So... Despite many of my books and records being autographed I don't know that they even care some are worth quite a bit.

The one thing they ARE already fighting over (both my kids and my one nephew in the Army whom we recent[y reconnected with) is my Lego Collection. Splitting THAT up between them will be a challenge as 90% of the sets are broken down sorted into storage drawers by size shape and color. They would have to go through all my files of set instructions and reconstitute all the sets and then split them. It's about 2500 Lego sets -- that will take their mourning asses quite some time, LoL!

--Mr. Bill

Timely, as I'm in the middle of redoing the kiddos' old room and my oldest had a bunch of LEGO sets we finished together. I honestly don't know what to do with them. But, I've kept all the boxes, the instructions, even the leftover spare pieces. I might put them up on shelves in the room for the time being but ultimately, some of these could probably sell for more than what we paid for them, especially some of the rarer sets. Thing is, a few sets I laid gently in boxes have had a couple of pieces knocked off and I'll be having to sit with the instruction book and make sure every single piece is accounted for, before I even start to break them down and re-bag to sell.

My kids are not interested in ANY of my music collection. Their attitude is "why do you have these -- you can listen to any of them any time online." Which, of course is NOT 100% true (though when I tested them a surprising amount of what I thought would NEVER be online or available digitally actually WAS online).

We actually live in a golden age for music. As you noticed, a lot of things are available through streaming. As I take deep dives into some arists I've discovered, there are entire libraries of their recordings that I otherwise never could have discovered. I looked up Claus Ogerman to see if Gate of Dreams was available. It indeed was, along with some early RCA albums I never knew existed. Records that would take me years to find even on Discogs, in acceptable condition, are much easier to find now.

I still value the physical items I own, but then I go back to wondering which dumpster they're going to end up in, especially the worthless CDs....

...in the middle of redoing the kiddos' old room and my oldest had a bunch of LEGO sets we finished together. I honestly don't know what to do with them.
Well, I may be interested in purchasing them!

Since you still have boxes and/or instruction booklets you can just tell me the set numbers and I can give you the current high/low resale values of them. Of course you can do that yourself if you want to wade into BrickLink, the primary website for secondary market place set/part sales. The highest prices come from older Star Wars sets and other licensed product tie-in sets.

If you find you are in need of parts, let me know -- I probably have parts you can replace them with.

--Mr Bill

We have a few older Star Wars sets (which may date back as far as a dozen years ago?) but I may hold onto a couple. Some are Ninjago. Quite a few smaller 3-in-1 sets too. There's even a Batman set we started in 2020 but never finished. Main thing right now, though, is to sort through the sets that are here and make sure all pieces and minifigs are accounted for. Some were sitting in the bedroom but were knocked over, so a few parts might need to be located.

I'd get a Fallingwater in the architecture series but those have gone insane. $340-up for kits with instructions. I'm not that desperate.

With me it's not Legos, it's Lionel trains. And the problem is even worse because we have no kids -- I'd have to rely on my siblings and maybe their offspring to disband my collection, but none of my them has expressed the slightest interest in any of it. Contrary to common belief, the vast majority of old trains aren't worth all that much. I have no 'rarities' in my collection that I know of, but who knows what might spark the interest of some collector. At least it's all in good condition - I was one of those kids who played carefully with my toys, and I'm still that way.

Then there's my CDs. (I got rid of most of my LPs about 7 years ago.) There again, no real rarities in the collection, just a whole bunch of stuff that I like that the modern kidz probably would have little interest in -- if they even had a device to play 'em on. I plan to do absolutely nothing with them, and let my unfortunate survivors have the privilege of wondering why I bought 3 copies of Primal Roots. I had enough heartache giving away my LPs. The CDs would not be as hard to give up because they're not as cool, but there is still a lot of info in those little booklets that would be hard or impossible to find on a streaming service.

If we were moving to a different house and I was forced to downsize, I would probably keep as much A&M stuff as I could, plus my Elton, Santana, Toto, Alan Parsons and Doobie Brothers collections, and my small collection of album-cover-reproductions, which are probably the coolest CDs I own. (I'm sure I would add a few names to the above list when it came to actually putting things in boxes.)

This is an interesting topic I've got tons of CDs a handful of vinyl and cassettes and over 400 VHS videotapes among many knick knacks I've accumulated over the years I'm a relatively young Grandparent but it's my hope my daughter son in law and Grandkids will have some interest in My music collection My daughter Emily is pretty impressed by it and she's my sole Heir in my will for the time being she's in her mid 20s so it will be a long while hopefully before she will have to choose what she wants to keep for herself and the kids and my older sister is an attorney and acts as my power of attorney ( she suggested we make a will over a decade ago which thankfully we did) but we don't know what will happen in the future but I'm hopeful my kids will appreciate and desire enough of the music I worked hard to collect all my life to want to keep it in the family but again tastes and trends always change who knows what they will be listening to in 50 years or so

Definitely my oldest son will want my music collection, and my youngest daughter will want my extensive collection of books on Disney parks and imagineering. My wonderful oldest daughter is not sentimental at all. Our youngest son jokes he will buy the house (he was born here and is very sentimental). Two of my eight grandkids will want all our family photos. My one son in law will inherit my library of books on Bible study and those of theological interest.

I’m buying more CDs than ever, filling in my collection with artists I’m rediscovering. Buying vinyl too. Holding onto the last remnants of my youth. :wink:

It’s a good and important topic! I’m thinking a lot about legacy these days, what I’ll leave behind, and who’ll pick up the mantle, so to speak.

Although my blog started out rather light hearted, it’s really become a journal and diary of sorts.

Time is precious and goes by so fast!

I’m thinking a lot about legacy these days, what I’ll leave behind, and who’ll pick up the mantle, so to speak.
Me as well. Especially since there is a constant slow trickle of news of friends, acquaintances, former coworkers, etc. who have fallen into ill health or have passed over the past couple of years.

My move to buying digital downloads is partly a way of making sure I don't have too much physical "stuff" to deal with, partly due to leaving it for heirs, and the other due to future relocation. I know friends who collect vinyl who have several thousand, more than they can listen to in their lifetime--I never want to get to that point. Even despite wanting to expand my storage for vinyl, I instead find ways to trim out what I don't listen to, in the hopes that I can have a pile to trade in or give away at some future point. Record crawls are fun (and it's easy to get carried away, especially when prices are cheap), but I need to refocus on the downsizing and start asking myself if I really need something before buying it. Most of the time, I can easily say I don't need it.

I know what you mean, Rudy! It does mean im less tempted to take a chance on a new artist, however.

It does mean im less tempted to take a chance on a new artist, however.
That is where Qobuz has saved me so much money. I can sample releases before deciding if I want to buy them.

I wish I'd had this in the 80s, as I'd say that maybe 20% of the CDs I purchased back then only had one or two plays (just one good track on the disc), and plenty others that got play initially but haven't been touched in decades now.

One magazine I used to subscribe to had really good CD reviews and a lot of what would become favorites of mine were due to the reviews from that magazine. (It was published initially as Digital Audio, then morphed into CD Review.) I blame them for a good portion of my CD poverty back then. 😁

Wayne Green's Digital Audio Magazine was one of my favorites back then. I think I still have the first issue. I saved it when I recycled most of my physical copies of magazines 15 years ago.

I have been doing some downsizing of my collection. I take lp's to a used record and book store and they give me store credit and I have found some books and lp's and cd's that I have wanted and did not have. I have also donated some cd's to a Friends Of The Library store and they were happy to have them.
If you have a lot of cutouts, then the thrift store is the best place for those as a used record store I had taken some to did not want them. They wanted undamaged jackets. The used record stores also do not want to give much for them. They are also very selective. I took a copy of Beatles 65 in very good condition and they did not even want that and when looking through their bins I saw a lot of artists I never heard of being sold. They did not have a copy of 65
in their Beatles bin so their not wanting it was a mystery.

Maybe Goodwill could use my CD collection because all of them are in great shape (including the downloads on Apple iTunes)!!

Back
Top Bottom