• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Maynard Ferguson R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nathan Strum said:
I've got Maynard recordings from 1950 on up, and I can tell you - he was a fantastic soloist. Some of the work he recorded in the 50's and 60's is especially astonishing. Innovative, creative, technically brilliant, artistically beautiful, powerful, and yes... occasionally tastefully questionable. :wink:

I found this video clip as well--a live version of "Fox Hunt". Great trumpet work by Maynard on this one! :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wowKPSyygQ

While playing the Maynard clips, I found one of Kenton's band doing "Southern Scandal". :thumbsup: I don't think M.F. was in that version of the band. It is an RCA short subject reel shown in cinemas.

Captain Bacardi said:
Love that new avatar, Neil!

I have Si Si MF coupled with Maynard '61 on a Roulette 2-fer LP. Gotta love "Ole"!

Capt. Bacardi

I might have it on the two-fer, but I also have it separately. Both of them sound like popcorn--I'm starting to think Roulette pressed them that way. :D

Hi Captain & Rudy(and everyone)-

If you like "Ole" from Maynard '61, check out the version done on the
"Trumpet Rhapsody" album on the BASF label from the latter 60's.
It is even more amazing, and just as long. From 1967 I believe.

It's MF with a fantastic european big band. Other highlights are a
great version of "Dancing Nitely" originally done by his Birdland Dreamband,
also the Side 1 lead track is an amazing "It's
Almost Like Being in Love."

Very worth finding. There are two covers out there. The earlier
version has great liner notes. The BASF version is rather plain
with no info or liner notes, just a track list.

Trumpet Rhapsody is indeed excellent! It has a great version of "Got The Spirit" as well. I keep hoping for a CD release someday.

Incidentally, Dutton Vocalion has just announced they'll be releasing MF Horn 3 and MF Horn 4 & 5: Live at Jimmy's on a two-CD set this month. I've already placed my order. That completes the Columbia re-issues, as far as I know.

That BASF album--was it ever reissued on CD? A lot of jazz albums get reissued under different titles, often combined with tracks from other albums. There's an old Shorty Rogers 10" album, "Cool & Crazy", that has been reissued on CD tucked in among other songs. It's confusing to say the least. (A young MF plays on "Cool & Crazy", BTW--no mistaking it either!)

FWIW, I found out that the Dutton Vocalion version of MF Horn 2, with its clipped intro to "Country Road", isn't their fault: this was the tape that Columbia (now Sony) provided to them.

I've never seen any of Trumpet Rhapsody on a CD, nor any mention of it (on CD) in the various MF discographies out there. I'm sure if it had been, it would have been seen by somebody by now.

Funny thing about Country Road - I didn't even noticed it was clipped until someone mentioned it. I guess it's just been a long time since I'd heard it.

Some friends of mine that knew MF said the main culprit was cancer.

Something else: Survivors include his wife of 54 years, Florence Ferguson; and five children.

Asked how he developed his amazing high-note technique, Mr. Ferguson attributed it to "innocence, instinct and a touch of ignorance."

Nathan Strum said:
I've never seen any of Trumpet Rhapsody on a CD, nor any mention of it (on CD) in the various MF discographies out there. I'm sure if it had been, it would have been seen by somebody by now.

True. Although I see a lot of minor releases (not major label, IOW) dug up and reissued, while vast portions at the majors never see light of day. Maybe this event, unfortunate as it is, will prompt someone to dig it out and put it on CD for us.

Jay Maynes/Juan Oskar said:
Some friends of mine that knew MF said the main culprit was cancer.

That very well could be. The official news report said it was kidney and liver failure from an abdominal infection. But the infection could have been the side effect of other things, such as cancer.

Bullish '84 said:
If you like "Ole" from Maynard '61, check out the version done on the "Trumpet Rhapsody" album on the BASF label from the latter 60's. It is even more amazing, and just as long. From 1967 I believe.

It's from 1973. It's a very good album, although I still prefer the '61 version of "Ole" because it's a bit more raw. But you can't go wrong either way.

Capt. Bacardi
...just home from work, online...

Maynard performs "OCome,All Ye Faithful" on a Philco/Ford collection,THE PHILCO ALBUM OF HOLIDAY MUSIC,a Columbia Special Products 431. It is not as rare as you might think. I bought one in Philly years ago and had a choice in the store of two copies. I've seen this more than once in my travels. Tim Neely's Christmas vinyl collectors guide lists this album as the only source for this track-at least on viyl,but I have never seen it on CD,either. Mac

So, Maynard is checked in by St. Peter. As he goes through the pearly gates, he's met on the other side by Al Hirt and Stan Kenton.

"Jumbo! Dad!" shouts Maynard with delight.

"Good to have you here," said Al.

"Welcome home, son." said Stan.

After some hugs, Maynard asks,"I assume we do some playing - we must have a pretty good band here."

Both Al and Stan agree, but are somewhat subdued.

"What's wrong?" asked the Boss.

Stan replied,"Yes, it's true about the players. We've got Buddy on drums, Dorsey and Rosolino on bone . . ."

"Yeah," chimed in Al, "and we've got Harry and Satchmo and Bix on horn, but.."

"But what?" asked Maynard, "what could possibly be wrong with that line-up?"

Al looked left and right out of the corners of his eyes, lowered his voice and said, "God's got this girlfriend that He thinks can sing..."

Capt. Bacardi

Nathan Strum said:
Here's a great clip of Maynard in '77 playing "Give It One" so fast, it makes the album version seem like it was in slow-motion.

eek2.gif

I watched a video online of Maynard playing in a small club, gosh I wish I still had the link as I'd like to watch it again.

Goodbye Mr. Ferguson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom