• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Maynard Ferguson's Big Bop Nouveau Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
While my kids' high school is quite fit academically it needs a structural facelift. Last night Jazz Great Maynard Ferguson did a fine job of nearly blowing off the old roof.

His Big Bop Nouveau Band is blessed with great talent, especially Pianist Ji Young Le and Trombonist Reggie Watkins. The Oak Ridge (TN) High School Jazz Band performed an enjoyable 30-minute opener. Tickets were $15 per person with proceeds earmarked for the school's renovation.

Ferguson, 76, rested frequently throughout the set but did plenty of his characteristic high note wailing, with cheeks pooched like Dizzy Gillespie, one of his mentors. Ferguson started playing trumpet at age 9 in his native Canada and worked as a studio musician for years before finding commercial success in 1978 with the "Rocky" Theme, a Top 10 single, and CONQUISTADOR album, which earned a Grammy nomination. Here's what we heard:

It Don't Mean a Thing If it Ain't Got that Swing
A Frame For the Blues
Girl From Ipanema -- with extended drum solo
Misra-Dhenuka -- written by Ferguson in India; features his scat vocal
MF Medley -- "yes, those are my initials" he said, drawing appreciative laughter from the kids;
The medley included "MacArthur Park," "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me," "Gonna Fly Now (Theme from 'Rocky')," "Chameleon" (Herbie Hancock tune), and "Hey Jude"
Encore: Birdland

Watkins did two solo pieces, "Wait For Six" and "Sell Out," both with incredible piano work by Le.

The high school players, directed by Tom Wayne, played "Stardust," "Birdland," "Wind Beneath My Wings," "When the Saints Go Marching In," and "Get it On."

Ferguson's band also includes three sax players, including soloist Nick Kirk, and three trumpeters, including his nephew Peter Ferguson.

The band has been traveling by bus and playing at high schools nationwide, stopping here between gigs in MO and IN. The auditorium was nearly full, which bodes well for the fundraising effort.

JB

I haven't missed a MF concert here in the Chicago area for about the last 30 years. I heard him play "Don't Let the Sun Go Down" once back in the mid-seventies at a club called Ratso's. He didn't record it and I never heard it again. I thought it was great. It's now is a vehicle for sideman Patrick Hession and all that excitement comes back. I wish they'd record it now.

It's unusual to think of Maynard as a studio musician,since he has had a touring band under his own name for what must be close to 50 years- thisafter many years with Stan Kenton. When you think of those two bands,the band bus comes into vision real quick. If there is anyone who exemplifies a road musician,its Maynard Ferguson. Just think,at 76,he's still bringing excitement to little towns a few thousand fans at a time;still on the bus,traveling through the night,getting young players excited about instrumental music,unison playing and soloing. A true wonder! Mac

I really should catch him before he stops touring--he's come to our area many times in the past couple of decades, and is actually due here in less than a week. In high school, we'd always wanted to see Maynard since we played a few of his charts. Since getting out of high school, I ended up discovering his great Roulette albums where IMHO he really came into his own as a bandleader and nurturer of up and coming talent (both playing and arranging). He also had a reunion/tribute concert in his honor last October...check these pictures out:

http://www.styneandmine.com/mffestival.htm

Tomorrow (April 19th) there will be a concert DVD of Maynard's released called Live - At The Top, which is from a 1975 concert, roughly the time of the Chameleon album. Supposedly, this was aired on PBS back in the 70's, but I don't recall it myself. I may have to pick this one up!

Capt. Bacardi

Hmmmm...was it recorded in Toronto? I remember being on vacation, and when we were staying in Toronto, they were showing a Maynard Ferguson concert on TV that, if I'm not mistaken, was performed there in Toronto. Not sure if it was live or taped, but it would have been the mid 70s when we were there. Would be interesting, no doubt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom