• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎡 AotW Michael Sembello - WITHOUT WALLS (SP-5044)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Michael Sembello
WITHOUT WALLS
A&M SP-5044
MichaelSembelloWithoutWalls.jpg

A1 What You Really WantBass Guitar – Richard RudolphRecorded By, Engineer, Mixed By – Brian MaloufWritten-By – David Batteau, Michael Sembello 4:23
A2 Last To KnowWritten-By – Danny Sembello, Michael Sembello, Richard Rudolph 4:00
A3 Funkabilly SwingWritten-By – Bobby Caldwell, Michael Sembello, Richard Rudolph 4:29
A4 Is This The Way To ParadiseWritten-By – Bobby Caldwell, Michael Sembello 4:10
A5 Burn It UpWritten-By – Bobby Caldwell, Danny Sembello, Michael Sembello 4:30
B1 Tear Down The WallsChoir [Tear Down The Walls Choir] – Alice Martini, Bob DiMarco*, Bruce Gaish*, Bud Rizzo, Cruz Sembello, Danny Sembello, Jena Raye Mendez, Kim DiMarco, Kimiko Kasai, Marilyn Scott, Mark Hudson, Michael Sembello, Randy WaldmanRecorded By, Engineer, Mixed By – Brian MaloufWritten-By – Bobby Caldwell, David Batteau, Michael Sembello 3:39
B2 Gravity (Special Dance Mix)Mixed By – Bill BottrellWritten-By – C. Sembello* 6:15
B3 Wonder Where You AreVocals – Tata VegaWritten-By – Danny Sembello, Michael Sembello 3:42
B4 DangerousWritten-By – Danny Sembello, Michael Sembello, Richard Rudolph 3:51

Recorded at Bossa Nova Hotel.
Additional recording at Zebra Sound, Studio 55, Can-Am, Galaxy and Village Recorders.
Tracks A2, A3, A4, A5, B3, B4: Mixed at Lion Share.
Mastered at Bernie Grundman Mastering Studios.
Β© 1986 A&M Records, Inc.
β„— 1986 A&M Records, Inc.

Creative Thanks To: Peter Savic, Joanne Gair, Patty Callicott and Rebecca Blumberg.

Also released on CD as a Japan import by A&M in 1986 as 'D32Y3035' with two bonus tracks: "The Picture" and "Angelina."

JB

Hmmmm...hard to believe this guy is still recording... After the craze of "Maniac" Sembello still tried to ride on its success... His timing was right in creating the same catchy dance floor-aura, and the slow numbers being a newer-type of Boz Scaggs...

Just too bad that nothing newer had matched its predecessor's success...

-- Dave

I remember really liking the songs "Maniac" and "Automatic Man" and "Gravity" and but his albums never really did much for me. His album Bossa Nova Hotel that was the best, if I remember right. I'm not sure if this one came before that one or not.

He sounds somewhat like a Christopher Cross without the orchestrations but with dance beats. He also was a decent songwriter and guitarist, having played on several Stevie Wonder and Sergio Mendes albums, among others.

With the exception of "Gravity" and "Dangerous", this album is a pretty decent effort from Michael Sembello. Granted, it's a LOUD album, typical of the mid-late 1980s. But there's a lot of great instrumentation throughout, if you're fond of the sounds of the era. I'm particularly fond of the guitar solos on the opening track, "What You Really Want". And yes, I freely admit it: I bought it originally out of curiosity to what Herb Alpert's contribution would be. "Wonder Where You Are" is pretty good at first, but it gets kinda carried away toward the end. Still a worthwhile listen, even if only a mood record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom