• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

MIssing Compact Disc Digital Audio logo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
A couple of recent purchases, including an A&M release of Maria Conchita Alonso's Mirame disc, have me wondering.

There's no Compact Disc Digital Audio logo anywhere in the packaging, artwork, disc face, or disc tray.

cd-da.gif

It's missing. These are copyright 2003 releases.

Looking back just to last year's release of Carpenters Essential Collection, the logo only appears on the clear tray, embossed in the corners, but these newer releases have even removed THAT. Instead, there's just a clear rectangle with nothing inside.

I'm wondering if these are the threatened non-redbook, supposedly copy-proof discs that we've heard about. Thus far, I haven't gone out of my way to try these discs in all kinds of players, but plan to do so soon.

Harry
...keeping an eye out for missing logos, online...

Or maybe these are those new "uncopyable discs" which technically are NOT Compact Disc Audio and therefore would be guilty of "false advertising" if they DID carry the logo. I believe that topic was brought up by our fearless leader sometime last year... "Redbook" or something like that...

--Mr Bill

I believe that the patent has run out on the compact disc; therefore, the design of the "redbook CD" is in the public domain and no longer needs to have a licensing fee paid to Sony or Philips. That logo, I think, was a signal that the patent fee had been paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.