More about Viola Enluarda from Crystal Illusions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua do Brasil

Dear Sergio Mendes followers,

About the song Viola Enluarda:

One of my favorite Sergio Mendes & Brasil ’66 recordings! From Crystal Illusions,with wonderful vocals by Lani Hall and Karen Phillips especially Lani’s and in mine opinion the best set of Brasil ’66 musicians including: Dom Um Romao: Drums,
Rubens Bassini, percussion and Bossa Nova legend Sebastaõ Neto and
the fine Oscar Castro Neves as supporting studio guitarist ( he was, at the
time not a band member but played with Sergio and Cy. from 1971 till 1981).

The song VIOLA ENLUARDA composed by Marcos Valle, famous for his
hit Summer Samba( So Nice) recorded this song for the first time at his 1968 Odeon/EMI release, titled Viola Enluarda and a curious aspect was the fact that this particular song was entirely sung by a young talented singer/composer named Milton Nascimento. This was Milton first ever appearance on a recording.

The 1968 Odeon/EMI release Viola Enluarda by Marcos Valle is currently avalaible
at a high priced Japanese Import format. This overall sad and moody recording followed with only three months between the cheer witty and happy US release Samba ’86 on Verve.
The record with fulll string and brass/woodwind support and the orchestrations were done by four of Brasil’s top musicians/arrangers like four by Dori Caymmi, three by Antonio Adolfo ( the composer of Pretty World), one by Eumir Deodato and one by Oscar Castro Neves.

So thanks to Marcos Valle!

By the way, Marcos Valle as guitarist toured the US during 1964 with the Sergio Mendes Trio including Sebastaõ Neto, bass and Chico Batera on drums with Wanda De Sah ( Later married with Edu Lobo) on vocals.

Blessings to all of you,
Aqua do Brasil

:) :)

Sergio & Brasil '66 also recorded "Viola" during their LIVE AT EXPO '70 concert, but it was left off of the released LP. It DID show up, as many of us have found out, on a Japanese EP of the LIVE AT EXPO '70 concert. Three of the tracks are from the LP, but "Viola" served as the "bonus" track.

Harry
NP: radio at work

This song is a brilliant example of how Brasil's second wave of Bossa Nova and MPB masters managed to "sneak" in protest comments in a purportedly romantic song. Less blatant than their Tropicalismo brothers, but no less effective.

On the first CD release of the album containing this song, there is a very bizarre mismastering of Proton Electron Neutron which manages to superimpose another song on top in the right channel as the song fades. I've wondered for years how that managed to happen.

Harry said:
Sergio & Brasil '66 also recorded "Viola" during their LIVE AT EXPO '70 concert, but it was left off of the released LP. It DID show up, as many of us have found out, on a Japanese EP of the LIVE AT EXPO '70 concert. Three of the tracks are from the LP, but "Viola" served as the "bonus" track.

Harry
NP: radio at work

Now that would be interesting to hear, given that the studio version (among other tracks) had the Dave Grusin's Orchestral Treatments. I have never heard of, nor probably ever seen LIVE AT THE EXPO-70, so I guess there's an incentive to get the CD, right there.

Now wasn't "Viola" also titled "MOONLIT GUITAR"? I actually saw the tracks that were supposed to be the UNRELEASED Tamba 4 LP (the group's THIRDalbum). Would have been interesting to hear what their version of "Viola" might have been like--or an interpretation, with a different title.

Other tracks are mostly American Pop Songs, such as "Hey Girl", "Light My Fire" and I think Tamba 4 also did Nascimento's "Bridges", under its Brasilian name, "Traversia".

Dave

...thinking that the THIRD Tamba 4 Installment issue is LONG OVERDUE...

Dave said:
Now wasn't "Viola" also titled "MOONLIT GUITAR"? I actually saw the tracks that were supposed to be the UNRELEASED Tamba 4 LP (the group's THIRDalbum). Would have been interesting to hear what their version of "Viola" might have been like--or an interpretation, with a different title.

Yes, that is the English translation of Viola Enluarada.

Aqua do Brasil said:
The song VIOLA ENLUARDA composed by Marcos Valle, famous for his
hit Summer Samba( So Nice) recorded this song for the first time at his 1968 Odeon/EMI release, titled Viola Enluarda and a curious aspect was the fact that this particular song was entirely sung by a young talented singer/composer named Milton Nascimento. This was Milton first ever appearance on a recording.

What about 1965's Sambacana?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom