My Favorite CD OF 2003: Juan Oskar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven J. Gross

Our very own A&M Corner friend Juan Oskar really put out a great CD that I hope all will hear. "Jazz, Pizzaz and Latino" really grooves.
It gets my vote for Best Album of 2003.
My favorite track: "Viejito". :bandit:

I'll agree and second that vote...

This CD has a very nice variety of songs and sounds, some excellent original song writing, and excellent quality sound. I feel it is as good as any other CD I own; perhaps better than most.

My favorite track: "Que Hasta Loca(Sin Tu Amor)" I really like this song. Not only is the vocal superb, but this song is an excellent musical composition. Beautiful melody, lovely chord progressions, great arrangement...I really haven't heard any song from any artist that touches me more than this one.

I'll make it a third vote!

I'll also give a tip of the hat to Dan Bolton whose guitar piece arrived in my mailbox over the weekend. He does indeed sound a lot like John Pisano.

I think it's time we put out An A&M Corner Christmas CD available via this site, with one track from each of us (and any others who'd want to participate)... Or at least a similarly named collection for use the other 11 months of the year.

--Mr Bill
nervous in expectation of his first marimba solo in church this Christmas Eve... :shake:

Make that four! Juan's album is fantastic - hands down the best new music I've heard this year. :cool:

Murray

Steven J. Gross said:
Far out Bill!- Tell us how it goes. Think Julius! :bandit:

That's exactly what I am thinking! Every now and then on some songs I get this sudden inspiration, whip up an unusual harmony and *Bam!* it goes over real good and people come up to me after church saying how they loved what I did. I like to think Julius is helping me out in some way. Bells and glockenspiel add unique dimension as well. The leader was apprehensive when I asked to join but seems to like the sound now (though the "rustiness" in not having played with any sort of group in over ten years does show from time to time).

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
Steven J. Gross said:
Far out Bill!- Tell us how it goes. Think Julius! :bandit:

That's exactly what I am thinking! Every now and then on some songs I get this sudden inspiration, whip up an unusual harmony and *Bam!* it goes over real good and people come up to me after church saying how they loved what I did. I like to think Julius is helping me out in some way. Bells and glockenspiel add unique dimension as well. The leader was apprehensive when I asked to join but seems to like the sound now (though the "rustiness" in not having played with any sort of group in over ten years does show from time to time).

--Mr Bill

Are you in an orchestra ? From a musical standpoint, at least, it sounds like my kind of church. I never thought that church music should be played the way most people do it...I know that they're trying to be respectful, but it usually comes out dull and lifeless. If the Good Lord gives you a voice and a good ear, I say... "Use 'em!"

And, thanks for the kind words regarding my CD.

Dan, remembering the 150th Psalm...

DAN BOLTON said:
Are you in an orchestra ? From a musical standpoint, at least, it sounds like my kind of church. I never thought that church music should be played the way most people do it...I know that they're trying to be respectful, but it usually comes out dull and lifeless. If the Good Lord gives you a voice and a good ear, I say... "Use 'em!"

Not an orchestra. Our church has three services each Sunday. The middle service is "contemporary" and held in the school gym (the other two in the church or sanctuary). In the church it's your traditional organ and (sometimes) choir thing. The contemporary, however, features a praise band with which I've been playing since the first Sunday in November.

The lineup if everyone is there -- and more often than not, at least one is missing -- is the leader (piano & female vocals), two more female vocalists, one male vocalist (also does selected percussion), one bongo/conga/percussionist (also does male vocals and can play trumpet), one drummer (Roland synth drums), three male guitarists (one acoustic rhythm, one acoustic lead and one electric lead), one bass player and -- last but not least -- one marimba/bell player (and selected percussion). We're about to add a female alto saxaphonist...

The Christmas Eve gig went well with each of us making at least one mistake. Our regular drummer and his vocalist wife were gone so the sub guitarist (you could call him the fourth guitar player) took the drums and the leader's husband took the bass for the night as the bass player was out of town for the holiday. Bongo man broke out his trumpet (largely at my urging) for "Joy to the World" and makes me consider breaking out my clarinet (though, like him, I fear I've lost my lip).

So when can we expect soem more Bolton tune?

--Mr Bill

Sounds like a great group! My church has a praise band, but has to rely heavily on soundtracks. For awhile, we actually had TWO praise bands [I was in the second...], and alternated weeks.

I've got some more music in the works. It's still mono, and the style varies...so does the "instrumentation"...I'm still trying to find my niche...but it's on the way.

Dan, thinking that Mannheim Steamroller, Kitaro and ELO were about the same size as Mr. Bill's church group...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom