New Sergio Mendes best-of

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
Just discovered a new Sergio Mendes release on Wrasse Records called "The Swinger from Rio: Favourites." It's NOT the old Atlantic album, but a new career-spanning best-of with really bad cover art. Fortunately the music is better: It sports most of his chart hits and an interesting lineup of other tunes, as follows (complete with translations as noted on the release)

1.Chove Chuva (Continuous Rain) - 3:19
2.Mas Que Nada (Why No Way (Ma-SH Hay Nada)) - 2:42
3.Pais Tropical (A Tropical Country) - 2:46
4.Wave - 2:18
5.One Note Samba/Spanish Flea - 1:50
6.Night And Day - 3:08
7.The Fool on the Hill - 3:13
8.The Look of Love - 2:46
9.Ela É Carioca (She's a Child from Rio) - 2:25
10.Desafinado (Not on Tune) - 3:20
11.Pretty World - 3:19
12.Watch What Happens - 2:48
13.Look Around - 3:03
14.Like a Lover - 3:53
15.Só Tinha de Ser Com Vocé (Only Tina Goes Down With You) - 3:11
16.Puzzle of Hearts - 5:24
17.Never Gonna Let You Go - 4:17
18.Outra Vez (Once More) - 2:25
19.Trilhos Urbanos (Urban Tales) - 3:47
20.Promessa de Pescador (Promise of a Fisherman) - 3:32
21.The Frog - 2:45
22.Tristeza de Nós Dois (We Are Both Sad) - 2:13
23.Bim Bom - 1:55
24.Só Danço Samba (Jazz and Samba) - 1:59

Here is the AMG review:
The undisputed master of Brazilian-flavored pop (especially throughout the U.S.) in the '60s was Sergio Mendes, as he threw together Brazilian songs and aesthetics with American and British pieces, jazz ideals, and an original vocal format for his group (dual parallel female vocal lines). This compilation tries to cover the breadth of Mendes' reach and contributions. Primarily the works stem from four major albums with Brasil '66, including the massive hits "Mas Que Nada," "Chove Chuva," Tom Jobim's "One Note Samba," etc. Also from this period, though, are some interesting covers, from Cole Porter to Burt Bacharach and the Beatles. As a special treat beyond what the average greatest-hits album would include, a few tracks from much more recently in Mendes' career are presented. A cover of a hit for Djavan is here, as is a more recent Caetano Veloso number. The music has been preserved well, with productions cleaned up a bit for the release. Mendes is likely already on the shelves of Brazilian music fans, but this album may have a few nice additions even for them. Those who haven't heard "the Swinger from Rio" should find this album a worthwhile introduction as well. ~ Adam Greenberg, All Music Guide

------

So if you want a single disk that covers just about every facet of Sergio's career (well, at least the Atlantic and A&M eras, which probably contain his most favored work), this is your disk.

I think this was the subject of another thread quite a while ago (though it may have been usenet). I remember wondering if it were a new comp or a reissue of the Atlantic album in my post. It's been out for quite a while.

Just got this today.

It HAS been out a while. The copyright date on it is 2003... record company must have changed distributors or something, because it showed up on our new release list.

The sound quality is generally good, but the old instrumental tracks sound much louder and more bass-heavy than the A&M and later items. The packaging -- there's good and bad news. There's a small paragraph about each song in the booklet, but it's all done in a real cheesy '70s-inspired font that's hard to read. And the front cover painting is pretty bad.

Overall though it's a nice slice of Sergio variety and would make a good Brazilian party album.

Hi Mike: Thanks for that cool info. Sounds like a very nice collection. I just want to point out that "So Tinha De Ser Com Voce'" translates to "It Had To Be (With) You". In Spanish it would be something close to this: "Solo Pudo Haber Sido Contigo". Or perhaps: "Solo Tenia Que Ser Contigo". (Tenia=Tinha). Spanish would naturally be closer to Portuguese in its "Primal Roots" than say English. Thanks again and "Warm" regards to A&Mers world wide, you've come to the right place, no one loses here, we are all winners!

I finally acquired this one - yesterday at Tower Records in their going out of business sale.

They had both covers:

B0001974PO.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
B00064X8O0.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I opted for the one with Sergio's picture - it was a few bucks cheaper.

Harry

I stumbled onto this compilation today as I was looking for something else. I still find it odd that two different covers were used for the same comp with the same catalog number. Perhaps Sergio was unhappy with one or the other and asked for it to be changed.

While I had it out, I updated the listing in Discogs with some better scans and corrected information.

At least this comp has one thing going for it: Other than the one FOOL ON THE HILL track, there are no other CSG tracks.

Back
Top Bottom