Nick Ceroli information

Status
Not open for further replies.
whippedflea said:
I had an old Ludwig drum catalog from 1976 and Nick wrote at least two books on drum theory/technique, has anybody got information on those? I also wonder what Nick's son is up to these days.
Nick did indeed write 2 books
In the Drivers Seat & Speed and Endurance
I think their still a few out there.
As for Nick's son Michael; well he's 43 now. I know Nick would be proud of the man he has become. I should know he is the Love of My Life.
Michael sends his love & thanks to all of you who remember Nick so fondly.
I thank you all also, for helping me learn of the wonderful father my dear Michael has.

I am surprised by what Newvista had to say about Nick in his posting. In the clips of the TV specials and appearances Nick did with the TJB, he seems very happy, and very content to be with the band from what I've seen. But also, didn't a cat by the name of Bill Shakespeare say that 'all the world's a stage, and all the men and women are merely players?' Perhaps Nick went along with the illusion of the group being one big happy unit to coincide with the happiness and fun found in the band's music, and to display this for the public.

I remember reading an interview with Pat Senatore, and he said that in the beginning of the TJB, it was a lot of fun, and they were like one big happy family.But as time wore on, there was dissension in the camp, and arguing, and it was becoming more like work, instead of fun.So, I'm sure that despite the immense fame and fortune the band acquired, when the experience was over, they were glad to get back to their regular lives again, and go back to being regular musicians again, instead of being celebrities.

And yes, Herb and Jerry did take good care of The Brass: it's been reported in many articles about Herb that the Brass were the highest paid sidemen of their times, because remember, the group was not only contributing to the success of their own group, but also to the growth of A&M Records as a thriving,musical corporation, as a whole.

NewVistaBrass said:
...It must have been about 1975 or so. He was the "guest artist" at the event. I approached him as he was having a smoke break, & told him that I was a huge fan of the TJB. He got a rather displeased look on his face, & shook his head to indicate he didn't want to talk about it. I walked away, feeling very embarrassed. I'll never know if he was bitter about the TJB, or just didn't want me bugging him. There had been other folks chatting with him, & I don't think I interrupted them.

I take this as an isolated incident. We don't know what was going on in Nick's personal life at that exact moment in time. Perhaps earlier that day he'd had an encounter or two with deranged fans, and while George's comments were classy and innocent enough, he'd simply had enough for one day and wanted to get away from that.

I've heard stories like that about many celebrities. Sometimes it all just gets to them, like a child on a car trip asking "Are we there yet?"

I wouldn't take it personally George - even though it happened 35 years ago, I can understand how things like that stick in the memory. Chalk it up to bad timing and nothing more.

Harry

Musicians are creative people; and as such, they like to focus on what they're doing at the present time. What's in the past is in the past, and it's easy to become "pigeonholed" by former accomplishments. Nick was one of the greatest jazz drummers of all-time, and was most famous for performing in a pop group( I know somebody will disagree with me, but that's really what the TJB was...).

Nick was the guest of honor at the event George was talking about, and may have been tired of living in Herb's shadow. I'm not knocking anyone for bringing up the past, but somebody might have just asked Nick why he wasn't in the new TJB, or maybe he was afraid he was going to have to explain yet again...and maybe the new TJB was stirring up a lot of angst among fans of the old group who weren't buying the new group's records(not many people did) and Nick was caught in the middle of it all("I'd buy the records if you were playing on them, Nick...").

It's hard to say what was really going through Nick's mind that day...maybe he'd just eaten a bad clam...

Dan

I am sure that there may be various things that may have been reality for those involved, such as Nick Ceroli and perhaps others, that no one here knows about. Unless someone who was directly involved, such as one of the actual participants, has told them or otherwise made known in some way.

And even then, it is quite possible that whatever information might be made known might be "filtered" in such a way as to conceal the actual reality of things.

I would imagine that the grind of being on the road, in the studio, and the schedule and commitments that a major performer such as this would have to maintain would get tiring, frustrating, and difficult at times. Perhaps even boring after enough time has passed by doing the same thing over and over. It most likely becomes like a job - with all the usual routines and frustrations that many jobs contain. We here at this perspective, probably do not relate to the reality of their lives. Sometimes, you just get tired of people.

Sometimes, appearances and reality are quite different.

Yes, the TJB was a pop music group. I often refer to the music as instrumental pop. And, that is quite fine - nothing at all wrong with that.

It is unfortunate that so many have passed away. And, in many cases, what seems to be rather prematurely as far as age is concerned.

I want to add to my previous post by saying that I recall Nick positively WAILED on the drums when he played with the college big band at that event! I remember being struck by his energy & enthusiasm towards being amongst those aspiring jazz musicians. It seems to me that while the TJB may have been his claim to fame, his love for big band jazz gave him great joy. I agree with your comments regarding my encounter with Nick. I understand his wanting to focus on the great jazz at that event, & not the past.

I talked to Ceroli in the eary 1980z when he was playing some drums for Harry James. Ceroli said that he had recommended Steve Schaeffer for the TJB gig. later.......J

Jay Maynes/Juan Oskar said:
I talked to Ceroli in the eary 1980z when he was playing some drums for Harry James. Ceroli said that he had recommended Steve Schaeffer for the TJB gig. later.......J

That makes sense, actually. When the brass reformed Edmondson, Pisano and Ceroli were all part of it. Ernie McDaniel, the new brass's bass player, came to a garage sale at my house. He was just browsing but noticed I (then a 12-year-old kid) was wearing my You Smile -- The Song Begins t-shirt and he started a conversation. He said he was playing bass and I asked about the other members. He said three original members were still there but that Senatore declined a return, wanting to focus on his club Pasquales (interesting he is the booking manager at Vibrato now). He added the piano player and "the other trumpet guy" were retired. He also told me he was leaving at the end of the current tour as he often earned more as a studio bassist and didn't enjoy being on the road. He said his replacement was some guy from Cuba but couldn't remember hisa name at the moment.

So there was a twinge of disappointment when the 1974 TV special aired and Ceroli was missing from the mix replaced by Steve Schaeffer. And even moreso when they hosted The Midnight Special and Pisano had been replaced by Peter Woodford. I've often wondered why Ceroli and Pisano left. I imagine it was because they grew tired of being on the road and (having already found their fortunes) wanted to play on their own terms in venues of their own choosing. Pisano no doubt loves what he does now with wife as The Flying Pisanos and his LA jazz nights...

These are the very reasons Herb disbanded the new brass a short time later, recalling an interview where Herb realized after playing a Las Vegas gig that this could be his terminal venue like so many other artists playing Vegas in the sunset of their lives.

--Mr Bill

DAN BOLTON said:
Ernie was replaced by Papito Hernandez.

We all know that but Mr. McDaniel couldn't recall the name while he and I were talking. I just wanted share it because I found the "some guy from Cuba" line amusing. Just shows Mr. McDaniel was more focused on his career as a session player than as a member of a top recording act!

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
DAN BOLTON said:
Ernie was replaced by Papito Hernandez.

We all know that but Mr. McDaniel couldn't recall the name while he and I were talking. I just wanted share it because I found the "some guy from Cuba" line amusing. Just shows Mr. McDaniel was more focused on his career as a session player than as a member of a top recording act!

--Mr Bill

True, dat...

Dan

alpertfan said:
What I would like to know is, why are the words, "The Music Comes First" etched on his grave? Was that his personal credo?
Well as Michael his son said. His life was Music. He lived, listened, taught, & played. It was in his soul. So the Music Did Come First. hence
"The Music Comes First"
may it last forever in our hearts with his talent he shared with all.
love,
Theresa
here's Nick Ceroli on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8udjNCTJBg

Jay Maynes/Juan Oskar said:
Weren't the TJB still heavy touring in Nov. of 1968? Later....JO

Yes, I am sure they were.

I don't know if they were out on the road specifically in November of that year, but I remember seeing them in early August, 1968, and it seemed that the touring was at its peak at that time.

The summer of 1968 was the time "This Guy's In Love..." was at the top of the charts.

when did Nick and (?) die? Wonder why I haven't seen a "Biography:
Dave
...Just Curious, Too!

Taken far to young, Aug. 11, 1985. Heart attack; during the passion of Love.
We do have Nick's personal bio. Which will be shared for all to see later.
His son Michael is not sure if anyone would even be interested in his childhood memories. On the road with the TJB! Maybe, we shall see.
Til then, we sold the house & in Escrow now. Truly looking forward to the future, with faith & love.
peace to all,
Theresa #1Ceroli Fan!

After the TJB stopped touring at the end of 1969, Nick's great talent was always in demand. For example, the next year while in college I saw him in the band backing up Steve Lawrence & Eydie Gorme at the Sands Hotel in October 1970. Steve and Eydie called out his name in the band and I felt good about that.

Also I taped an episode from a syndicated variety show in the summer of 1984 called "On Stage America" with Herb Alpert and the TJB as guests. This was their 2nd reunion band following the one from 1973-74. Nick was part of the band on this show along with Wechter, Pisano and Edmondson. They performed to a tape of the Tijuana Taxi. Then Herb and Lani (wow--did she look pretty) came out and sang "Come What May". Unfortunately, this TJB group was as short lived as the earlier one from the 1970s. Unlike Sergio Mendes who has been touring non-stop for 44 years since 1966, Herb never felt that kind of need. Touring with a band can be brutal and obviously Herb had the financial resources to kick back and enjoy life at his tempo.

The only reason Herb put the TJB together in 1984 was because the Olympic Committee asked that he do a concert for Olympic participants, since the TJB was an international sound (remember that in '84 the summer Olympics were held in L.A.). There was a brief tour (wasn't it like 11 or 13 cities?) but there was never any intention to get back to a full-fledged reunion. I remember reading where he basically said it was nice to visit that material again, but he didn't want to stay there. I've always admired him for not going the reunion route that so many other acts were doing at the time.

Capt. Bacardi

Found on YouTube while "surfing." Here is the info about the clip:
One year, Brown and Williamson's ad agency picked my song to promote the Kool Jazz festival, and asked me to help cast the performers for the TV spots. This one features Chuck Findley playing a blazing trumpet solo, Ernie Watts on tenor sax and Grant Geissman on guitar. I played piano. Interesting side note: the bass player was Andy Simpkins of The Three Sounds; the drummer was Nick Ceroli of the Tijuana Brass.
It's a quick clip, so watch closely!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLcfN58cssg

Hasta la VISA card, Corner amigos!
DJ

Ervan Coleman 7/7/21-5/26/67 Complications from heart surgery

I am sorry to correct you. Bud Coleman's death had nothing to do with his heart. My family was/is friends with the Coleman family. I remember Eleanor very much when I was a kid. I spent a fair amount of time with her. She was very good friends with my grandmother.

Bud died from complications with the anesthesia from a "routine" ear operation. I found a archived Time magazine article that backs up what I am saying. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,909688,00.html

I was just a baby when Bud died. I have been told he held me on his lap several times. I was too young to remember.

You're absolutely right. In fact, at the Julius Wechter tribute a few years back I (and others here) had the pleasure of meeting Eleanor Coleman who told us the story as well as other tidbits of the early days of the TJB and BMB... A delightful woman and full of energy for her age!

--Mr Bill

Gary910 said:
Ervan Coleman 7/7/21-5/26/67 Complications from heart surgery

Bud died from complications with the anesthesia from a "routine" ear operation. I found a archived Time magazine article that backs up what I am saying. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,909688,00.html

IIRC, the anesthetist administered the wrong type of anesthesia, and poor Bud never woke up from the operation.

The case was a landmark of sorts, which resulted in a near-million dollar settlement, which doesn't seem like much today; but in 1967 dollars it was a bit more comforting, I suppose. Of course, no amount of anything in this world could ever replace the talent and presence of either Bud or Nick...but they live on through what they left behind and in our thoughts.

Dan

I agree... The majestic talents of one such as "Bud" can never be replaced...

A shame, too, how it was caused by mere improper medical care (of which throughout history has claimed countless lives) and for what was a minor operation, too...

Dave

NP: Herb Alpert / TjB, "Bud"...

Mr Bill said:
Other A&M artists who left us too early include Phil Ochs (suicide), Wes Montgomery (heart attack) and Nick DeCaro (AIDS).

--Mr Bill
<sarcasm mode on> ...and it wouldn't have happened to poor Bud Coleman if only we had Obama-care back then! <sarcam mode off>

I knew of Wes and Phil, but not Nick DeCaro.

Dan

I recently read an article about Nick Decaro with contributions from brother Frank. Don't remember where I found it. Probably just googled Nick DeCaro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom