• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Origins Of "For All We Know"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

I'm curious about "For All We Know"--besides The Carpenters' version of it, there are versions by Andy Williams and Vikki Carr. I think The Ray Conniff Singers recorded it, too. And by Charlie Byrd. (?) There is a similarily titled "For All We Know", which is a different song by Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway on their first album together, which Esther Phillips did, as well.

I used to have an ABC album of someone else who recorded it, whom I forgot the name of. I remember the last song on that album being "I've Got To Be Someone". Was he the one who recorded the "official" version for the Motion Picture, LOVERS AND OTHER STANGERS, which I see "For All We Know" billed as the "Theme From"?

Dave

...who'd rather be someone with thousands of problems, than no-one at all... :wink:

Dave said:
There is a similarily titled "For All We Know", which is a different song by Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway on their first album together, which Esther Phillips did, as well.
The funny thing is, Johnny Mathis did both "For All We Know's", about a year or so apart. He recorded the Coots/Lewis song around late '69, then tackled the Karlin/Wilson/James composition from the Lovers And Other Strangers film in 1971. And both were issued as singles.

W.B. said:
The funny thing is, Johnny Mathis did both "For All We Know's", about a year or so apart. He recorded the Coots/Lewis song around late '69, then tackled the Karlin/Wilson/James composition from the Lovers And Other Strangers film in 1971. And both were issued as singles.

Ah, Yeah! Johnny Mathis! I forgot all about him covering BOTH "For All We Know"'s! :laugh:

Yeah, I forget which WRITERS wrote which song, as well... :) Thanks for the info!

Of course, I looked up who recorded it for ABC on GEMM. As soon as I saw it was a FRANK PORETTA, who recorded it as a single and had an LP listed, it all came back to me. I once had his album, but it got sold; and this was before I became a regular collector of ABC's...and A&M's...

And I saw versions by Andre Kostanlentz (the Karlin, Wilson, James composition) and Shirley Bassey (The Coots, Lewis version? :?: ), there as well.

Dave

Barbra Streisand did the Coots version on the "Prince of Tides" CD- and John Williams did a wonderful version of it found only in the Harrison Ford movie, "Sabrina"- although it was never- to my knowledge- released. Its only in the movie during the party scene.

Mark

Bread member James Griffin did his own version of "For All We Know" on the Bread "Retrospective" (2-disc set) which came out in 1996 from Rhino/Elektra. It is a demo that was recorded back in Feburary 26, 1970 that was previously unissued. It is the last song on Disc 2. Matthew Clark Sanford, Michigan

AM Matt said:
Bread member James Griffin did his own version of "For All We Know" on the Bread "Retrospective" (2-disc set) which came out in 1996 from Rhino/Elektra. It is a demo that was recorded back in Feburary 26, 1970 that was previously unissued. It is the last song on Disc 2. Matthew Clark Sanford, Michigan

Oh, I was wondering about that one...! I guess I'll have to look hard for that Bread RETROSPECTIVE, then. I'm sure it's out of print, now--having looked for it before. I'm sure there must be an "unsold" copy near me, somewhere.

I have BEST OF BREAD Volume I & II on vinyl, and only listen to Side 1 of each.

Dave

...who believes Bread is one of the best Group Names...not to mention THE best E-Z Listening Rock Group, of All-Time...:cool:

Actually, the Bread 2-disc set "Retrospective" is still available when I check at www.allmusic.com (All Music Guide) & when it says "Barnes & Noble", go to the store & special order. The song is only 1:23 in length though. Matthew Clark Sanford, Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom