• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Passed by Downey last week on vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Actorman

I was in L.A. on vacation last week and we went down to Disneyland on Thursday. On the way there, we passed the exit for Downey off of Route 5.

Had I known I was going to be that close I would have found out directions to the Newville house and driven by for a quick look. I would have loved to have seen the Carpenters' Performing Arts Center, too.

As I looked at the stores and restaurants I could see from the highway, I couldn't help but wonder if Karen and Richard had eaten or shopped there and imagined them driving or walking around there. I found myself thinking a lot about Karen for the remainder of the day, especially since she loved Disney so much.

We'll probably go back again in a few years and next time Downey will definitely get a closer visit.

Anyway, just wanted to share. It was a nice, sort of spiritual few moments.

Who all on this board has been to Downey and/or the Newville house?

Well that sounds like fun! You were actually very close to the Newville house, where the *5* and *605* meet at the Florence exit, and then about a mile up the road. Glad you had a chance to see several of the Carpenters' "landmarks"! -Chris

Hi there

I've been to Downey and Newville Avenue twice. I'll never forget that first time you come off Lubec and round the corner, and those famous brown (well now white!) garage doors came into view. And the house is so long, it filled that side of the street, whereas on the opposite side, two or three houses occupy the same stretch.

Stephen

newvillefan said:
Hi there

I've been to Downey and Newville Avenue twice. I'll never forget that first time you come off Lubec and round the corner, and those famous brown (well now white!) garage doors came into view. And the house is so long, it filled that side of the street, whereas on the opposite side, two or three houses occupy the same stretch.

Stephen

I remember the first time I visited the Newville house back in 1997... very cool! I was there 2 months ago. The garage doors are now white with brown trim. The trees have been pruned and the entire front of the house clearly visible. The new owners have about 5 deer statues in front of the property... so tacky.

The house is long because the C's bought the property next door, had it torn down, then extended the house. The house at the end of the cul-de-sac is nicer IMO.

I always stay at the Downey Embassy Suites whenever I am visiting the LA area (which is quite often). If you ever visit Downey, Embassy Suites is the BEST hotel by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom