🎷 AotW: CTI Paul Desmond - SUMMERTIME (SP-3015)

All the CTI releases

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 5 41.7%

Votes: 4 33.3%

Votes: 1 8.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • * (Worst)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never Heard This Album

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
A&M should have put SUMMERTIME and HOT AFTERNOON out in a 2-for-1 package CD ages ago.
I think that Beatles covers were obligatory, which explains why "Ob-La" shows up. That one, like "Hey Jude" on Edu Lobo's SP 3035, distract from the overall theme IMHO. Neither tune has much of a melody.
JB

LPJim said:
That one, like "Hey Jude" on Edu Lobo's SP 3035, distract from the overall theme IMHO. Neither tune has much of a melody.

I kinda liked Lobo's version of "Hey Jude", just because it was a bit different from other covers, especially on the chorus at the end, with all of the percussion stuff happening.

Capt. Bacardi

Beatles' covers can either be innovative (ex. "Norwegian Wood" by Brasil 66) or can be totally dated. During the late 60s nearly everyone covered at least one Beatles tune. It was the thing to do. I can't imagine anyone doing cover versions of today's artists' tunes at the moment, however.
JB
NP: Elton John "Hay Chewed" -

The music industry has gone through phases like the Beatles phenomenon.

Look back to when West Side Story was so popular--just about every artist covered at least one song from that production (or film), if not devoting an entire album to it. Some just came off as obligatory covers of "Somewhere", while others got more inventive.

Also, the Bossa Nova craze created a lot of action--Bossa standards like "Desafinado" and "One Note Samba" appeared on a lot of other albums, although not to the extent of West Side Story. (Bossa seemed more localized to jazz and easy listening.)

Beatles covers, yes, can get tedious...it's those unusual arrangements that will win me over. Even with all the cover versions, it's still good to go back and hear the originals.

The only cover version I can think of today, of a popular artist, is David Benoit's version of "Then The Morning Comes" by Smashmouth. I guess the point is that in order to cover a song, the song needs a melody....can't say much of today's music even has a melody to it. :confused:

-= N =-

This is a great record that Paul did. Its a very soothing record, (Well the way paul played the sax is soothing in itself)

Verve needs to release it and Bridge over Troubled water on cd quickly

It's interesting that From The Hot Afternoon has been reissued at least twice on CD, and the others were only available in Japan. But both of those are due for a reissue and a good remastering. I'll be one of the first in line to get them!

-= N =-
...wishing for more disposable income...

I have to call this the "Frank Sinatra" of A&M/CTi: Brash, Robust, a bit Moody and a very Innovative in giving Modern Jazz its phrasing, much like Frankie gave Pop.

Stand Out Cuts Include:

"Samba (Struttin') With Some Barbecue", made into a moving and definitive Latin piece; "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" (with some bars from "Hey Jude" put in :wink:), suggests Desmond could easily cover Lennon & McCartney, as he did Simon & Garfunkel; "Autumn Leaves" is done with a very unusual ascension--would have sounded good if he did it as a medley with "Speak To Me Of Love", like Gabor Szabo (whom Desmond would collaborate with a few years later) did on his con-current SPELLBINDER album, on impulse!; "Lady In Cement" which brings this quiet album, mostly done at slower tempos to life--and I also have Hugo Montenegro's version on his GOOD VIBRATIONS album on RCA, you gotta hear--he does it with a "chorus" of Background Singer, John Bahler!; and closing well mannerly with the oft-covered, popular and winning Gershwin song, "Summertime".

Not the most loftiest in Desmond's catalog (Maybe because I'm comparing it to HOT AFTERNOON!), but a good "workshop". Much of the Jazz trappings weren't "ditched", but this album can be a bit too "pop" for some. But like Paul's other follow-ups on A&M/CTi and later, CTi, it is very catchy and very relaxing Mood Music and not just for those who like Easy Listening, either.

Dave

SUMMERTIME and BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER are overdue for domestic CD reissue. Wonder if A&M/Verve has this in the works?
JB

This is a great album, with a lot of good tracks. Fortunately, Don Sebesky doesn't muddle the entire album with strings. There's a lot of tasteful brass to be had here. Favorites include "Struttin' With Some Barbecue" and "Lady in Cement." 4 stars, better than his subsequent A&M effort, From the Hot Afternoon.

I really love this album for the most part. Paul Desmond has such a cool, laid-back sound on alto sax that fits most musical occasions. On this album the horn section actually seems to compliment Desmond, rather than cover it up as had happened on past Creed Taylor productions. I really love this version of "Struttin' With Some Barbecue". "Emily" is just flat-out gorgeous, as is "Where Is Love?". My favorite tune has to be North By Northeast", a cool little blues number. The only tune that really doesn't fit here is "Ob-La-Di", but fortunately it's brief enough not to be a major concern. A very strong album, which again should be on a CD. 4 stars.

Capt. Bacardi

seashorepiano said:
And I'm sure you're aware that this album is available on import CD, too.

Actually, I'd forgotten that this was an import. It's still a little pricey for as short as the album is, but this may be worth it.

Capt. Bacardi

I could easily walk into my All-Time Favorite Record Store, once operating out of a small, green building, and the old man usually once running it would have "Samba With Barbecue" (derived from the Louis Armstrong Original, "Struttin' With Barbecue"--and sometimes even THAT--) playing...

Fall asleep during Don Sebeskey's "Olvidar", "Emily" (from THE AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY), "Someday My Prince Will Come", "Autumn Leaves", "Where Is Love?" and Paul Desmond's Original, "North By Northeast", and you feel yourself being lifted right into the Clouds in Mid-Air...!!
29_zzz.gif
cloud.gif

"Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" seems to be the fastest, moving and most livliest number on Side 1 with a little of "Hey Jude" thrown in near the end... A good example of "Saxophone Fanfare"...

The Gershwin-written "Summertime" seems to be a good album-closer while Hugo Montenegro's "Lady In Cement" is a fast, fiesty, firey, Cocktail Lounge-type piece, which had me dreaming of those fiber-optic flames erupting out of my 2-bulb Brass Lamp, one of which is on as a night light...!
29_zzz.gif
candlestick.gif
fire.gif
:o

A Fun, Jazzy, Relaxing and Fulfilling set of songs, especially with the cover shot taken from Pete Turner's "Unique Photo Gallery"...

Dave

Dave said:
I could easily walk into my All-Time Favorite Record Store, once operating out of a small, green building, and the old man usually once running it would have "Samba With Barbecue" (derived from the Louis Armstrong Original, "Struttin' With Barbecue"--and sometimes even THAT--) playing...

Danny at Solo Records up on Woodward... :agree: Also a big Cal Tjader fan.

Rudy said:
...Danny at Solo Records up on Woodward... :agree: ...Also a big Cal Tjader fan...

Yes, he's going on 79-Years-Young in less-than-a-week! Lost his wife a-year-or-two-ago... But still Alive & Well, though not nearly at his store as much as Way-Back-When...

Dave

...Also noting that Jobim's Wave, particularily "The Red Blouse" was also often heard...

This is Paul Desmond's best A&M/CTI album! It swings, it smokes, it's soothingly beautiful. Desmond's lovely sound is very well served by the fine arrangements and repertoire. "Lady In Cement" and "Emily" are my favorite two tracks, but most of the album is very, very good. You can't go wrong with this excellent re-issue. :thumbsup:

Hmm, this is available on Yahoo Music....pretty damn good! I had only previously heard "From The Hot Afternoon"..

NJB

This is a good album. I love this type of jazz. I just didn't like how Desmond didn't play the head of Someday My Prince Will Come, and Autumn Leaves.

Gonna stick my neck out on this one, I know a lot of people regard this LP as 'fluff' but I've regularly played "Lady In Cement" during DJ sets in clubs, and I always get people asking who it is. Had to show the LP sleeve to a couple of non-believers too!

Might not be fashionable to admit it in public, but I dig this LP...

"Samba (Struttin') With Some Barbecue" is my favorite on here. Some of the songs don't do it for me (like "Ob-La-Di", which I don't even like when the Beatles do it), but others do. This has an unusual version of "Summertime" in 5/4, doesn't it?

You pretty much know what to expect when you listen to an A&M/CTI album, and this album is no different. However, as far as these Creed Taylor records go, this one is pretty much as good as it gets.

I have always liked this recording, from the first time I heard it about 40 years ago --- Sebesky's orchestrations are tasteful and spot-on --(highlighted by a clever re-working of "Struttin' With Some Barbecue", a gorgeous "Emily", and an exciting "Lady in Cement") , and Paul has never played more beautifully than here. The production is immaculate, the engineering suberb, and oh, that A&M/CTI house rhythm section of Hancock, Carter and Leo Morris/Airto Moreira KILLS. And yes, I DO like Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da.

Strong beginning to end...

Pete Turner said the cover is one of the best that Creed Taylor had selected for the A&M series because it was counter to what a logical cover would be. The melting icicles photo is one of two in the set, photographed in Norway.

You can see them at this link:

Getty Images site.

And if you click on the "Photographer Pete Turner" link on that page, you can see all his other photographs available for licensing. Fun stuff.

Back
Top Bottom