• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Paul Winter Consort performance set

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
The Paul Winter Consort plans a performance at the University of TN Alumni Memorial Building on April 16, 2005. This is part of a semester-long series of events focusing on environmental issues.
Other appearances planned include Robert F. Kennedy Jr. (1/26) and Biologist Edward O. Wilson (3/15).
Event Co-Chariman Neil Greenberg is quoted in the Knoxville News Sentinel article: "The award-winning group explores the music of many cultures and genres. Paul Winter's music is deeply informed by the environment. He uses environmental imagery and sound in his performances."
I'm looking forward to this.
JB

Just a reminder this performance is still on for this coming Saturday night (4/16/05) at the Old Alumni Gym (Cox Auditorium). I'm looking forward to it; hope many can come.
JB

Just got home moments ago from the Paul Winter Consort event at Old Alumni Gym at the University of Tennessee. Dave Winer, who came all the way from Michigan, and I easily found front row seats. Approximately 65 were in the audience.

Onstage with Winter (soprano sax, vocals) were Eugene Friesen (cello), Paul Sullivan (piano) and Jamey Haddad (percussion). Here's the set:

Tomorrow is My Dancing Day
Lullaby from the Humpback Whale for the Baby Seals
River Run --- inspired by a Colorado River raft trip
Canyon Chiccone -- named in honor of Bach's Canyon, a place in the Grand Canyon with good acoustics
First to Ride -- piano/cello duet
Fetiso Devila -- Bossa Nova compilation tune
Canta Canta Mais -- nice tune from the first WINTER CONSORT (SP 4170) album; written by Jobim & DeMoraes
Included a piano solo, percussion solo followed by duet with cello, then cello blues riff
----- Intermission ----

Appalachian Morning
The Rising moon -- piano solo
Percussion demonstration (with playback effects)
Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring
Wolf Eyes --- from the A&M album COMMON GROUND
Common Ground --- title song, same album; Winter sings
Bach Melody with Woodthrush sounds
Icarus --- from ROAD (SP 4279)

Dave & I both talked with Mr. Winter and most of the band post-show. My friend Bruce & I were at the venue (near the football stadium) before dinnertime when the band arrived, and we helped them carry their instruments inside. We got some LPs signed and took some photos which I hope will turn out OK.

Mr. Winter said his Living Music label will reissue both WINTER CONSORT and SOMETHING IN THE WIND, formerly SP 4170 & 4207 in the near future.
Great news for A&M completists!
I also mentioned this site and encouraged him to drop by sometime.

JB

LPJim said:
...Dave Winer, who came all the way from Michigan, and I easily found front row seats...

Yes, I did come all the way "down there" to hear some great music and see Paul Winter on Alto Sax...no wait, SOPRANO Sax... (Oh, I knew I'd "blow it"! ...Heh, Heh...!) :wink: ...With an equally talented pianist/vocalist, (who did a lot of vocalese on a few songs) cello player (who really made a lot of good moves, reminiscent of those first two Consort recordings) and drummer/percussionist--who did a real neat "Solo-Bit", playing ALL of his instruments, and having his "playing" get "recorded and played back", as he picked up another instrument and played it--an "Ashley Simpson" of percussion, so to speak! :goofygrin: (...though, Sorry, I don't yet "get" this one...) :freak:

Anyway, Paul Winter and his "New Consort", left a great enough impression on me that I quickly hurried home and very fortunately had enough time to get to nearly ALL of my record haunts to pick up a Mint-copy of both, THE WINTER CONSORT (A&M SP 4170, though a later pressing) and SOMETHING IN THE WIND (A&M SP 4207, without the sticker on the cover, boasting artist, title, and A&M-logo, with SP#), which were both at the "last place I looked", near my house...

(...after checking into a motel, the night before, on my way home after the show, on I-75; the one I usually stay at, near the Tennessee University campus, was unfortunately being renouvated after a fire--which I recieved a call from a Fire Marshall, asking me questions about the room I stayed in, as it originated in the corridor not far from it--but I answered his questions and "how the room was arranged", as well as told him I didn't smoke in it, and only went to the window to look out at all the NOISE that was going on in the street out there, interferring with my sleep! So the place I stayed at, The Scottish Inn on I-75 and Callahan proved to be a much better place--Cheaper at $40-something ('cause it was a Sat. Night; usually it's $30-something) and a whole lot quieter, though no free breakfast, but the one at the Hotel in Knoxville I would have stayed at anyway, like always, (for almost $70) had me going next door to the Krystal to eat! :badteeth:

Anyway, I had a great time, Jim and thank you very much for inviting me over and the very nice dinner at Shoney's, too! :)

And to my fellow Cornerites: It looks as though the Knoxville, TN area is really where all the "Great, Classic A&M Artists" come to perform and where you can "meet and greet" after--and sometimes BEFORE the show!!! So you really have to come out this way, at least once in your life to see these great entertainers!! (...or "mediocrities", for those of you who only love, have and wanna see ONLY "your certain, favorite A&M artists"!...just kidding!) :winkgrin:

Dave

Glad you made it back safe and added those great LPs to your collection. I hope they'll notify me when they're reissued on CD so I can pass the news along.
About Ashley Simpson. She's a fave of the young (MTV) crowd who was caught lip synching last year. The playback of her voice started before she or her band were ready. Unlike Milli Vanilli (stripped of their Grammy as I recall), her fans forgave her.
When the percussionist sat silently listening to his first playback I thought of her immediately.
I hope they'll come back, in spite of having only 65 present in a 1,000-seat venue. There were no ads or posters; just 2 newspaper announcements. That shouldn't have happened.
JB

LPJim said:
...Glad you made it back safe...

Yes, I'm back...I'M BACK!!! :tongue:

LPJim said:
...and added those great LPs to your collection...

...As for those LP's, I am enjoying them and one song, on Side 2 of Paul's A&M debut, The Winter Consort, "Forlorn Hope", written by a ___ Dowland, sounds strangely like a song by the late-Gabor Szabo, "Echo Of Love", written for him by the late-vibest, Gary McFarland on his debut album, Gypsy '66... :o

LPJim said:
...About Ashley Simpson... she...was caught lip-synching last year... ...The playback of her voice started before she or her band were ready... Unlike Milli Vanilli, (stripped of their Grammy, as I recall) her fans forgave her... ...When the percussionist sat silently listening to his first playback I thought of her immediately.

OK, thanks for clearing THAT up, and MY how things have changed, as far as "faking stuff"--Milli Vannelli VS. Ashley goes... :shock:

LPJim said:
...I hope they'll come back, in spite of having only 65 present in a 1,000-seat venue... ...That shouldn't have happened...
JB

Amen! Maybe they Might!! :thumbsup:

Knoxville: Small enough that you can "Meet 'N' Greet"...Big enough that "They'll Care"!!! :D

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom