Pete Jolly (HA Presents)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

Call me a Johnny-come-lately, but I finally got my hands on a copy of “Herb Alpert Presents Pete Jolly”. It’s a mono promo version (vinyl LP) and it’s got just a teeny weenie bit of snap crackle & pop on the sound – but that’s OK. The first cut on the LP is “Windows of the world”. It makes me feel like I’m in a really hip swinging piano bar. There’s not a bad song on this album; of course it helps that I’m a big fan of Pete Jolly’s music.

The LP track list is:
Side One: Windows of the world, Serenata, Dindi, You’ve got to be there, Like a lover
Side Two: Lonely girl, Amy’s theme, Love so fine, For Carl, Dancing in the street

Other Musicians: Earl Palmer (drums), John Pisano (guitar), Chuck Berghofer (bass)
Engineers: Larry Levine, Thorn Nogarad
Produced by: The one and only “Herb Alpert”

Why this album has never been released as a CD is quite a mystery too me. If you’ve never heard this and you’ve got a turntable, try and get your hands on a copy, it’s well worth the effort.

Greetings to all A&Mers... I feel this is one of Pete's best recordings. Like Mike says: "there is not a bad track on it". The music on this fantastic record grows on you. The vibes are great, and Pete being the sublime, and rare artist he is, makes it sound so easy! This is one of the few records that passes the "repeat listening test". The production is just right, not too much, not too little. Marty Paich did the arrangements and conducts, while TJB guitarist John Pisano executes some excellent accompaniment. My only complaint is that John's guitar is somewhat "buried" in the mix. This record will make you feel good! It also has some introspective moments, like on Tom Jobim's exquisite "Dindi". Roger Nichol's great composition "Love So Fine", is another standout track.One of the best tracks is "Seranata", as is Burt Bacharach's "Windows of the World".To me proof of a great recording is that when the last note ends...you're left wanting more! Herb Alpert should have posted a warning on the jacket of the record that says:"Warning: The music herein contained may be addictive and has been known to linger, and haunt romantic souls"... P.S. Please say a prayer for Pete's health, as we have heard some recent bad news that his health has been somewhat faltering lately. Viva Jolly!:cool: by Bernie Medina in San Sebastian, Puerto Rico

Mike said:
Why this album has never been released as a CD is quite a mystery too me. If you’ve never heard this and you’ve got a turntable, try and get your hands on a copy, it’s well worth the effort.

I've seen sealed copies of this album sell for over 100 bucks at gemm.com...surely a candidate for reissue...I don't know if it wasn't promoted seriously when it was released[I never saw a copy of it in any store, and TJB albums, BMB and Sandpiper albums were very popular...]; but it seems that the album has a strong following among Pete's many fans.

Dan, who'd love a copy of this album, and would buy a turntable just to play it...

PartyRico: You put into words the thoughts in my head - many thanks.
Additionally, the last track on the album, "Dancing in the streets", is a rollicking happy-go-lucky gem; a good finisher!

I've had all three of Jolly's works: The Piano Bar feel of Herb Alpert Presents, The Live Give A Damn and of course, the Jazzy 'N' Experimental Seasons, which was released in the post-A&M/CTi 3000-series.

I think now would be the perfect time to consider whatever reissue possibilities are feasible... I read a few months ago here, that Pete was ill, so I hope his health has improved, since then, too.

Dave

The A&Ms are nice, but if you want to hear him in his element, find some of those late 50s/early 60s LPs he recorded on RCA. (Some are actually on CD through BMG Spain.) His trio really cooks! And yet while it's still jazz, it's accessible like his A&M recordings. Same goes for his most recent CDs as well, many on the VSOP label. The closest he came on A&M to his classic trio sound is on the "Give A Damn" LP, if you remove the horn overdubs.

You just have to hear him "burn" on "Whistle While You Work"--classic Pete Jolly performance! :thumbsup:

Thank you Mike for your kind words. I've had many pc problems, and I could'nt access this site to opine. I'm nothing like Mr.Bill, and others here on the board. I'm not pc saavy, but I visit this site religiously. I am a HUGE A&M fan!
Pete Jolly has got to be the most under-rated pianist in Jazz history. It's nothing less than a crime that he has not gotten the recognition he so richly deserves. Nonetheless, Pete has stated in interviews that he has made a very nice living with his trio, and with his session work dating back decades.
His recordings on the V.S.O.P. label are outstanding. My fav is "Yeah" released around 95. If you liked his "Herb Alpert Presents", you will like "Yeah". It is Pete in his mature prime playing with his incredible tri:confused:ver an hour of great tunes.
We all wish Pete, a complete and speedy recovery. :love:

I've got all the VSOP CD's. "Timeless" is currently my favorite... I just love the way he does "That Old Devil Moon".

I know nothing about Pete's professional career choices; I assumed that his level of public visibility and fame was by his choice. With his talent, I would have guessed he could have been far more popular in the main stream if he’d choose too. Maybe he did things exactly the way he wanted and avoided the stress and burn out that usually accompanies musical stardom. Who knows? Only Pete.

Correction: I have all the "Pete Jolly" VSOP CD's. The VSOP record label has many artists other than Pete on CD.

For me "Lonely Girl" is the best cut. The groove on this song just doesn't quit!

Capt. Bacardi
...enjoying another Yankees loss online... :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom