Pete Jolly Trio and Sweet September

lj

The great West Coast jazz artist, Pete Jolly (born Peter Ceragioli Jr.) had this terrific song from 1964--how well I remember it--as a follow up to his 1963 Grammy nominee "Little Bird." In Discogs I discovered that the strings were arranged by another guy associated with A&M records--Dick Hazard. Dick's orchestration of Brasil 66 "Like a Lover" was sheer perfection.

Someone photoshopped that jacket? The album is called Hello, Jolly! and was a 1964 release on Ava Records. I'm not sure if V.S.O.P. ever reissued it on CD, but there was a Japanese release supposedly distributed by Muzak (!).

Interestingly, the album prior to this one was entitled Sweet September. I'm not sure if the two tunes are the same arrangement on both albums, though. This album is the Jolly Trio with Howard Roberts and Nick Martinis on a couple of tracks, with no obvious mention of strings. I'll have to compare when I'm back at a place I can compare both. V.S.O.P. did reissue this on CD in 1987, apparently. This one, along with Little Bird, appears on Qobuz for streaming, so they are available to those who don't have access to the original LPs or CDs.

I'm not sure of the source of those V.S.O.P. CDs, though--Little Bird is a mono release on CD. I'm planning on a needle drop of Little Bird, and Hello Jolly! once I get ahold of a copy. (They'll be posted on my other YouTube channel--Lost and Found Sounds.)

I wasn't aware of this version. The one I heard in '64 on MOR/Easy Listening AM radio had the strings. Both versions are real good.

Here is the perfect Pete Jolly piano bookend to "Sweet September", which is "Little BIrd." from 1963. I like this song. Note the drummer's great brush work with a bit of a Bossa Nova rhythm.

I posted that one back in January, I think, after finding the mono version on Qobuz and getting a couple of stereo copies. In fact, both copies of the LP were graded as NM (near mint) and played anything but. So sketchy that I used the track for my demo of the SugarCube.

It was his most popular album, and the title track became a hit back in the day (arguably his best-known track). It also has a great version of "My Favorite Things" on the B-side. A great record!

That's Howard Roberts on guitar. 👍 The west coast jazz musicians back in the day were a tight-knit crowd and recorded on each other's records. This album is good if you can find it.

I posted that one back in January, I think, after finding the mono version on Qobuz and getting a couple of stereo copies. In fact, both copies of the LP were graded as NM (near mint) and played anything but. So sketchy that I used the track for my demo of the SugarCube.

It was his most popular album, and the title track became a hit back in the day (arguably his best-known track). It also has a great version of "My Favorite Things" on the B-side. A great record!

That's Howard Roberts on guitar. 👍 The west coast jazz musicians back in the day were a tight-knit crowd and recorded on each other's records. This album is good if you can find it.

Reference is made to "My Favorite Things". What an amazing trajectory this beautiful song has had. First, it was part of the musical score of the Rogers & Hammerstein 1959 Broadway show "The Sound of Music" starring Mary Martin and Theodore Bikel. Then John Coltrane's 1961 long jazz version became an immediate jazz classic. Then every top jazz and pop recording artist placed it onto their to-do list. Herb had it on his Xmas album. Today this song is considered a world-wide pop and jazz standard. Who would have thought?

That and it became associated with holiday songs, thanks to Jack Jones placing it on his Christmas album in 1964. So it's had quite a run and might arguably be Rogers & Hammerstein's most-covered song.

Reactions: lj
Back
Top Bottom