• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Peter Gabriel in Concert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
On a lark, late Friday night (actually early Saturday morning, 1am) I suddenly remembered Peter Gabriel was supposed to be in our area. Checked Ticketmaster, picked my jaw up off the floor, and got tickets a mere nine rows from the stage for Sunday night. :D

If you plan on going, there are a couple of "spoilers" below. :wink: Read at your own risk.

I'm glad that wasn't the only jaw-dropping experience last night! This one ranks with one of the most incredible concert experiences I've seen. Musically, emotionally, and even the stage presentation were excellent. He stuck mostly to music from Us and Up. But they did play a couple of chestnuts like "Shock The Monkey", "Games Without Frontiers (where Gabriel and his daughter Melanie rode around the stage in Segway scooters...and quite well), "Sledgehammer" (which was like a big dance party in the audience), and "Solisbury Hill" (where most of the band walked down one aisle from the stage, and back up another, which was the aisle I had a seat on :D ).

There were a few technical difficulties, one during "Solisbury Hill" where they stopped the band, got the crew out, and Gabriel played an impromptu solo version of "Here Comes The Flood". Hard to pick any one highlight--there were many. :) It was cool to hear "Darkness" from Up at full volume, but I was really surprised that they didn't play "The Barry Williams Show", seeing that it had a video and was the first "single" from Up. The "big event" of the evening, though, was his walk in the giant clear "hamster ball" during the song "Growing Up". (And he maneuvered it quite well, only taking out one guitar player in the process. :wink: )

I normally wouldn't buy the overpriced t-shirts, but the long-sleeved one I bought was TOO cool to pass up.

I also didn't catch the name of opening act, or the country they were from. Nice personal touch was PG coming out at the beginning to introduce them. :)

Yes, I'll go to the next PG concert. Just hope I don't have to wait 10 years for the next one. :wink:

PG is offering a "keepsake" of each show. From his website, you can order each evening's concert on a 2-CD set, mixed from the sound board. I ordered mine when I got home last night. :)

What's affectionately known as the "hamster ball":

pg_ball.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom