Popping Noise in Two Lives

Great ears; I had to listen to that a couple times to hear what you’re talking about. It almost sounds like the “blip” that you would hear from a tape machine when it looped between the splices in the tape. I don’t know if that’s what it is, but it either sounds like something that’s coming from the control panel or perhaps the mike just made a noise. But that’s just my own theory, who knows if it’s right or not.

Interesting! I've always considered that little pop to be part of the music as it's right on the beat as she starts "Maybe..".. but now that you bring it up, it does sound like some error.

It’s always annoyed me and one of the reasons I don’t listen to the song much. It sounds like a cheek pop right at the point where Karen sings “Maybe I’m a dreamer”.

Whatever it is, it must be on Karen’s lead vocal track otherwise it would have been removed during the recording sessions for VOTH.

That has always sounded like something I've seen in films, where a sound pop like that occurs so that the filmmaker can sync up the sound. I wonder if that pop was on either Karen's work lead or the orchestral accompaniment and Richard had to leave it in?

I ran it through Audacity. You can visually see it. Whatever it is, you can easily cut it out without messing up the song. All I could see/hear was one blip. Sometimes those unheard blips can be annoying once you hear them. Can't "unhear" them. Elton John's Daniel has one that I tried to edit out but couldn't. Every source has it. I have another artist's song that has a car honking in the right stereo track! Also, a weird noise on one of Bowie's songs on his Aladdin Sane album.

Sometimes those unheard blips can be annoying once you hear them. Can't "unhear" them. Elton John's Daniel has one that I tried to edit out but couldn't. Every source has it. I have another artist's song that has a car honking in the right stereo track! Also, a weird noise on one of Bowie's songs on his Aladdin Sane album.

On the original release of Lovelines (Richard’s 1989 mix), there is an audible ‘thud’ in the second verse at 1m45s, right after Karen sings “baby, come on and take me“. Sounds like an out-of-place kick drum. Not sure if it was fixed for the remastered reissues. Maybe someone here can confirm? Ironically it’s not there on the 1996 solo CD release.

On the original release of Lovelines (Richard’s 1989 mix), there is an audible ‘thud’ in the second verse at 1m45s, right after Karen sings “baby, come on and take me“. Sounds like an out-of-place kick drum. Not sure if it was fixed for the remastered reissues. Maybe someone here can confirm? Ironically it’s not there on the 1996 solo CD release.
This doesn't answer your question: I looked at it through Audacity. I have the 1990 "soft box set" and that section is a mess. There are several pops & one note seems to have a piece missing. It is so messy that all the pop, crackle, and snaps sound like one pop. Not a favorite of mine regardless. I CDR all my music and that is one that didn't make the cut.

You know I swear I hear karen saying something along the lines of "wait a minute" towards the very end of If I Had You on Lovelines. Its been removed on most versions I hear but on that CD I bought back in '92 I swear she says it.

Anyone know what I'm talking about. It happens around 3:32 in the song....just after her bg vocals sing "if I had you back in my life".

Laters guys.

Neil

You know I swear I hear karen saying something along the lines of "wait a minute" towards the very end of If I Had You on Lovelines. Its been removed on most versions I hear but on that CD I bought back in '92 I swear she says it.

Anyone know what I'm talking about. It happens around 3:32 in the song....just after her bg vocals sing "if I had you back in my life".

Yep I hear it as well Neil, it’s like chatter really low down in the mix right as the song fades to almost silent. It’s the solo album mix of the track, it’s even there on Spotify at 3.43.

Back
Top Bottom