• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Possible Carpenters DVD releases

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarpentersToYou

Somehow you brought the gambler out in me...
There is so much material out there that it is hard to imagine that Richard has release so little of it. I look through my collection and see tons of possible releases:

ALL TV SPECIALS (including MMM outtakes)
AUSTRALIA CONCERT
TOKYO CONCERT
NETHERLANDS CONCERT
TV APPEARANCES

What do you all think? How could this be packaged?

I think the answer can be found in Richard's answer regarding the old TV series on the official site:

Fans Ask ….. “I'm trying to find out if "Make Your Own Kind Of Music" will ever be released completely on DVD?”

Richard Answers: "Absolutely not. Obtaining guest artists' releases, taking care of payment for publishing, director's fee, musicians' fees, etc. would prove to be a Herculean task and one that would not be practical given the meager amount of sales the package would generate. Plus, I don't care at all for the show. "

All of the TV stuff would fall in the same category as "MAKE YOUR OWN KIND OF MUSIC". Richard does own sole rights to that stuff, and licensing, permissions, etc. would be necessary for a new DVD release.

Similar problems arise with foreign and domestic concerts where any local musical directors, local choruses, and local musicians would have to be paid again if a commercial release were to be made. It's not an easy situation to deal with, and many studios are toiling over the same issues with regard to releases of old TV series on DVD. Shows like WKRP IN CINCINNATI used a lot of real pop and rock music of the day. Licensing each of those songs with composers and performers can prove very costly, not to mention the time and effort it takes just traking down the current rights-holders.

I wouldn't look for any of these Carpenters TV Specials and/or concerts ina commercial release any time soon.

Personally, I'm happy that we have what we have - two nice packages of videos and a documentary with lots of music clips.

Harry
NP: CARPENTERS GOLD DVD

I look at the great collection Neil Diamond released last year. It was called "Stages" and featured four CD's full of live concert audio. The concerts spanned 30 years. The final disc was a DVD of a live concert.

Even if Richard just released all of the live recordings he has made over the years, plus one great DVD concert, it would be something U.S. fans have been waiting for.

I understand that he might not want all of the TV shows released, but I would think a collection of clips from the two TV Christmas specials would be very profitable. It can be done! Andy Williams & Bing Crosby have put out DVD's of the best of their network Christmas specials. By making it a "clip" DVD instead of just releasing the specials intact, it would allow Richard to hand pick the cream of the crop (and leave Georgia Engell on the cutting room floor!)

It just kills me that the only live Carpenters concerts on audio or video have been released overseas. It's about time the Hollywood bowl concert, or even the Vegas show that the Bacharach/David medley originated from could be released in their entirety.

Richard could certainly include various Carpenters -without guest stars -clips / performances on future DVD releases and Live releases are possible with the number of recordings / filmed concerts held at A&M & in Richard's archive :o

Really down to fans pressure and Universal / A&M in various regions -UK / Japan ? -kickstarting the whole process :cool:

Peter

I know this is a old topic but I recently got a response about this from Richard's assistant, unfortunately it sounds a little suspect to me

"Richard will probably not release the TV specials as a DVD, as they were not originally taped for good audio quality and separation." :freak:

Something tells me that we will see some possible new DVD releases in the future, I don't know why I feel this way but with all the interest lately and with Richard appearing to be more involved in full speed, new Chrismtas album coming up, website in full swing, I think he might have more up his sleeve than we might expect.

Well lets' hope anyway.

Sure wish that Tony would start posting again, I think it was after all him that let us know about Richard starting an official website, some of us doubted him, he was right...I wish he would post again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom