Question on 8-track tapes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
Rudy or anyone: Back around late 1971 or early 1972, my mom bought the 8-track tape "Close To You" with a cartoon picture of the sun & the ship on water on the cover. It was made by a company called "Media 2". On Program 1: "We've Only Just Begun", "Love Is Surrender", "Maybe It's You", "I Kept On Loving You" (beg.) Program 2: "I Kept On Loving You" (concl.), "Another Song", "Close To You" Program 3: "Reason To Believe", "Help", "Baby It's You", "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" (beg.) Program 4: "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" (concl.), "Crescent Noon", "Mr. Guder". My mom also bought "Carpenters" on 8-track tape with a psychedelic picture kinda that glows in the dark but I am not sure which company it came from. On Program 1: "Druscilla Penny", "One Love", "Rainy Days And Mondays" (beg.) Program 2: "Rainy Days And Mondays" (concl.), "Saturday", "Let Me Be The One", "For All We Know" Program 3: "Bacharach/David Medley", "Superstar" (beg.) Program 4: "Superstar" (concl.), "Sometimes", "(A Place To) Hideaway". Why was there a company called "Media 2" that made those 8-track tapes back in the early 70's (which also had a man playing the drums on the cover) ??? :confused: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Hmmm...those sound like some WILD compilations...!!! Too bad they ARE 8-Tracks, but they must be real Collectors' Items for having those songs on there...!

Reminds me of a Doors/Steppenwolf collection I used to have, with a real wierd picture on the front, as well...!! I had a 5th Dimension compilation that was like that, too...and it wasn't their Greatest Hits on Earth, either...!!

Dave

Can't say I've heard of Media 2 myself. Maybe someone over at 8-Track Heaven would know. Almost sounds like a K-Tel type of organization.

The man had an American Flag on his drumset!! :laugh: :tongue: By the way, I used to have Donny Osmond "The Donny Osmond Album" & David Cassidy "Cherish" which was also on Media 2 8-track with the man playing the drums. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Those are likely bootleg tapes. There was a huge underground market in the 70s for them, especially at truck stops. The tapes would contain the actual recordings by the "name" artist, but the label would say "contains a sound-a-like recording -- not the original artist." But consumers who were "in the know" would buy these tapes for 2 bucks or less and get the actual artist for a fraction of the regular price. Quality was pretty dubious, however.

So this whole piracy thing is nothing new!

Yes, these are bootlegs. I have seen them on eBay before. Although, I wouldn't mind having them just to have something different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom