• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Question on "Superstar" Picture Sleeve

Status
Not open for further replies.

W.B.

. . . the first single (AM 1289-S) on which the famous "CarpenterS" logo was seen on 45 (both on the label and the picture sleeve). Namely, would anyone know which was the first variation -- the one where the drawing of Richard and Karen in a circle was white, or the one where said drawing was black?

I don't know the answer to that one. The only ones I have seen are with the dark blue and white........

In regards to vinyl 45 pic sleeves, does anyone know which is the rarest?

I came across the "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" b/w "Calling Occupants"
Memories pic sleeve yesterday at a record show for $1.99! I did not even know that one had existed! It does not feature a picture of Karen and Richard but was an illustration by the A&M Record Dept.

And what about the "We've Only Just Begun" pic sleeve that states "Maybe It's You" on it when in reality the b-side was "All Of My Life"? Does anyone know the story behind that one????

I know "Honolulu City Lights" had a limited number of pic sleeves as well, would that one be the rarest?

I also found a CD with the original "Honolulu City Lights" by Keola and Kapono Beamer and have posted it on my Yahoo group at:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/softly333

softly333 said:
And what about the "We've Only Just Begun" pic sleeve that states "Maybe It's You" on it when in reality the b-side was "All Of My Life"? Does anyone know the story behind that one????

I have that sleeve also & wondered that too, was that a mess up, cause the 45 I am using for that sleeve is "We've only Just Begun/All of my Life.

..who hates for things not to be correct, online...

softly333 said:
I don't know the answer to that one. The only ones I have seen are with the dark blue and white........
All "Superstar" picture sleeves have white lettering on a dark blue background; but the variation I have, has the Karen & Richard-in-a-circle pic in black. My question remains . . .

W.B. said:
. . . the first single (AM 1289-S) on which the famous "CarpenterS" logo was seen on 45 (both on the label and the picture sleeve). Namely, would anyone know which was the first variation -- the one where the drawing of Richard and Karen in a circle was white, or the one where said drawing was black?

The "Carpenters Decade" book has a page where all the picture sleeves are shown, and the one for Superstar has the black portrait (picture below). The same variation is also shown on the "Yesterday Once More" video (at the end of "There's a Kind of Hush"). For these reasons, I assume that the black portrait is the original. Personally, I've never seen one with the portrait in white. Could it be a foreign pressing?

superstar45.jpg

Murray
...who doesn't have the definitive answer either (where are you Harry?)...

I have the blue-and-white, no-black pic sleeve, and there's a "Printed in USA" disclaimer on the bottom right of the back cover, so it probably isn't a foreign pic sleeve. Does the blue-white-and-black sleeve have the same disclaimer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom