• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

R&B on A&M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I remember the first one. It had a relatively decent-sized R&B hit with "Young Love". Good song. I still remember Janet Jackson showing up on "American Bandstand" dancing and lip synching to that one...:)

"Dream Street" only had one single release - the title track. It did nothing and A&M seemed to give up on it awfully quickly.

Ed

Rockin' Radio Jeff F said:
One of the two remaining answers has a direct relation to one of the five already mentioned, and the other signed with A&M late in their career, if that helps anybody.]

Well that clue means either Jerry Knight or Jeffrey Osborne. And I suspect the seventh would be Cece Peniston (who should seriously consider changing ther first half of her last name -- maybe she has a cousin named Bebe Vaginapound)

--Mr Bill

To clean this up, CeCe Peniston came out of the gate strong. "Finally" was the dance track of 1991 and she followed it up with one of the sweetest ballads of the year - "Inside That I Cried". The woman could really sing and she proved it there.

Ed

Mr Bill said:
Well that clue means either Jerry Knight or Jeffrey Osborne ...

You got it! Jeffrey Osborne topped the R&B singles chart a single time as a solo artist [surprisingly, with 1988's "She's on the Left," which didn't chart on the pop Top 40 at all]. Jerry Knight never topped the R&B chart [or cracked the Top 40] as a solo artist, although he did make the Top Ten on the pop charts as half of Ollie & Jerry ("Breakin ... There's No Stoppin' Us").

I had actually forgotten about CeCe Peniston. I don't think she ever topped the R&B charts, to the best of my knowledge, but I'm not 100% positive about that, either. I was actually thinking of a male artist, if that helps. [I won't reveal the answer just yet, in case anybody still wants to take a stab.]

Jeff F.

I still have my 12-inch of "Breakin...There's no Stoppin' Us". It came out on Polydor and I still listen to it every now and again. Never have I heard a song so immediately date itself than this one....LOL!! Within 2 seconds of the time the song starts, the time period that this song was recorded immediately becomes quite evident...
biglaugh.gif

Ed

Yeah, Osborne's own version of "Congratulations" is the last song on his self-titled solo debut. Great song!!

Vesta! Wow, that's an A&M R&B artist I'd forgotten about!
If you still want to take a guess at the last A&M artist to top the R&B singles chart with an A&M release, I'll give you a hint: even though he had over ten Top 40 hits on the Hot 100, only the very last of them was an A&M release. [And his second-to-last Top 40 hit was as a featured artist on a #1 hit by another one-time-A&M-artist.] Any guess?

Jeff F.

Got it! :D

It's none other than the King of Bedroom Soul, Barry White, whose last major hit was "Practice What You Preach" in 1994 (or was it 1995? it was around there sometime).

I remember when that 45 came out, some months after the song had been a hit. Whoever pressed the record made a mistake, and accidentally pressed two songs by another A&M R&B group, Lo-Key?, instead of the two Barry White songs that were supposed to be there. Fortunately, the record was re-pressed with the correct songs on it.

And that "second to last" single must be Quincy Jones' "The Secret Garden" with Al B. Sure,James Ingram and El Debarge from Quincy's Qwest/Warner album,BACK ON THE BLOCK. Mac

DC Ed (ThaFunkyFakeTation) said:
If I'm not mistaken, didn't Jeffrey Osborne right that song?

I wasn't aware the song had been "wronged"!!! :D

--Mr Bill

Wasn't the first LTD album, Love, Tenderness Devotion released as A&M SP 3047? I thought it had been given the last number in the 3000-Series and it had come after Charles Lloyd's Geeta (A&M SP 3046)...

It had a pretty colorful cover, too...

Dave

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
I still have my 12-inch of "Breakin'...There's No Stoppin' Us". Within 2 seconds of the time the song starts, the time period that this song was recorded immediately becomes quite evident...

Ed

Pretty neat how a lot of stuff gives us that sort of a clue...

biglaugh.gif
Hey, you'd look good in my Krayola Korner! Can I take you there with me? Er, I hope he won't bite... :laugh:

Dave

Dave said:
biglaugh.gif
Hey, you'd look good in my Krayola Korner! Can I take you there with me? Er, I hope he won't bite... :laugh:

Dave

He can be yours, Dave. I found him living somewhere about a year and a half ago and promptly fell in love. I copied him to my hard drive, uploaded him to my space, and I've been using him ad nauseum ever since. Feel free...:wink:

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom