• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎄 Holidays! RE: Mannheim Steamroller Christmas

I just came back from a "Mannheim Steamroller Christmas Concert" at the Glendale Arena in Glendale Arizona tonight. My family and I got free tickets. Not because I'm "Juan Oskar" :tongue: but because my wife works for the right company. :badteeth: Let me tell you that Christmas Music doesn't get prettier than that. There were also beautiful visuals with the music. *note: the strings and the horns are locals.......Paz & Merry Christmas Corner.................Jay

Sounds like a fun evening! :wave:

Jay,

Although on the surface their music seems awfully slick and mechanical, there is a soul behind it, and in many ways, they capture the spirit better than some who try too hard. MS CHRISTMAS, from 1984, is for me the definitive example of what this outfit is capable of, and while a bit synth-heavy, there's enough of a rustic air to make up for the fake tree on the cover! :badteeth: Bought the vinyl(Lp and the "Deck The Halls" 45)back in '84, the CD not long after, and was hooked on that album, if not MS as a whole.

Knowing I'm a bit of a fan, a few friends have suggested Trans-Siberian Orchestra(I think they're called that), but for some reason, haven't care enough to investigate. But holiday music tends to forgive even fools, and some fools have tried to mangle it, to limited avail. Sometimes an otherwise useless artist will put out a reasonably acceptable Xmas Lp, which I think is the ultimate gift of the genre: makes even the bad seem to look good.... :)

:ed:

The Trans-Siberian Orchestra have an interesting angle to Christmas. I have two of their CDs. My favorite TSO song is "Carol of the Bells" Merry Christmas............Jay

My mother loves Mannheim Steamroller; Christmas or otherwise. Personally, I have tried and tried to enjoy this music, but don't. I don't know what it is, but I just can't get into it. Again, I've tried. Like Herb and his "goosebump" principle, I've attempted to find this within their music, but don't.

Guess I'm kind of 'Bah-Humbug' on this subject. Nothing against Mannheim Steamroller at all...just not my cup 'o tea.

Jon

I can get into it, but only up to a point...and I know what Herb is talking about, the finest music has that effect on you, and you keep going back time and again to it.

I think MS can be perceived as 'antiseptic' and clinical, kinda soulless...I still believe the traditional music redeems that aspect of their sound--up to a point--but can understand why someone might not get into it.

My mother loves some clown named Daniel O'Donnell...and what little I've heard makes me want to use his CD's for skeet shooting. The kind of guy whom, decades ago, would have fit right in on The Lawrence Welk Show.

:ed:

I enjoyed Mason Williams' CD-collaboration with Mannhein Steamroller, Classical Gas, which featured new versions (or RE-WORKINGS) of some of his old songs like "Classical Gas" and "Le Chanson De Claudine"...

And some of the new songs there were OK, such as "Doot-Doot" (featuring a car horn and Mason hoped radio-play of the song would prompt a number of cars listening to it to "toot" their horns to it in traffic...)

Dave

We attended the Mannheim Christmas concert in Billings last month. (It was actually the opening show on their current tour.)

While it was very enjoyable, I found fault with a few things. First, it was TOO perfect. These were EXACT reproductions of the records, right down to the fadeouts. It was impossible to tell, other than the drums, what was being played live and what was synced. (And there was sync-ing going on, it said so in the program.)

Also, there was hardly any interaction with the audience. Other than Chip Davis introducing the band, and a brief bit where he introduced a segment of the show, he never spoke to the crowd -- not even to say "thanks for coming and Merry Christmas!" at the end. That left me pretty cold, especially considering the ticket price.

Another thing that bugged me was the fact that nowhere was the "true reason for the season" to be found. It was all toys, sleighbells, snow, food, etc. I guess they're trying to appeal to all people, but criminy, it IS a Christmas show. Even during the song "Silent Night," the images shown were all snow, winter, family dinner, toys, etc. So that was a little off-putting.

I don't want to be all negative here-- it was overall a really enjoyable show, just not very soulful, I guess.

"Other than Chip Davis introducing the band... he never spoke to the crowd"
I thought that was good because...Did you hear his speaking voice? :badteeth:

If someone were to ask Juan Oskar what else could have been done to improve the program, I could have come up with some ideas, and some are things that this tread has pointed out. But my wife, and three kids, 21, 19, & 15, enjoyed the total experience which made for a wonderful family outing. Though there was some track sequencing done, everyone was actually playing. The string and brass section were hired from the Phoenix area...I know a couple of the players.

It was produced more like an orchestra concert than a show band. The program listed the pieces, they played them, then it was over.

Feliz Navidad amigos..................Jay

Mike Blakesley said:
While it was very enjoyable, I found fault with a few things. First, it was TOO perfect. These were EXACT reproductions of the records, right down to the fadeouts..

Maybe this is what is so hard for me to swallow. I mean, some artists are criticized for being too "slick". Well, this how I think of Mannheim Steamroller. They're "slick" and (to my ears) somewhat commercial, formulated and pat. I guess this is what I don't like about them.

Again, they do amazing music -- that much I appreciate. It's the way in which it's produced that puts me off, I guess. :confused:

Jon

Back
Top Bottom