• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Readers Digest Magical Memories

Yeah, this medley is the same as the other live Bacharach medleys on the ANTHOLOGY sets and the US READERS DIGEST set. Those other ones have Karen and Richard's live chat setting up the medley, whereas this one is a cold open of just the music. Other than the mastering attempts, they are identical musically.
Yep, exactly!

If anyone is interested in hearing this cold-open, studio-enhanced mix:

I will try to get a WAV up later when I am at my MacBook Pro with XLD.

Upon listening, you will notice a very strong bass drum that sounds to me like it was done in the studio in the 1990s (the tonality of it is different), and I believe Richard may have double-tracked the backing vocals to make it sound fuller.

You all can be the judge :)

Yep, exactly!

If anyone is interested in hearing this cold-open, studio-enhanced mix:

I will try to get a WAV up later when I am at my MacBook Pro with XLD.

Upon listening, you will notice a very strong bass drum that sounds to me like it was done in the studio in the 1990s (the tonality of it is different), and I believe Richard may have double-tracked the backing vocals to make it sound fuller.

You all can be the judge :)

Yep. I hear what you mean. Richard's penchant redoing kick drums in particular has hurt many a tune. His remix of "Love is Surrender" is rendered unlistenable because of it. Here, it's too loud with an over-pronounced "pop". It also falls out of time more than a often. I also hear the fuller harmonies, though those sound great as always.

Ed

Yep. I hear what you mean. Richard's penchant redoing kick drums in particular has hurt many a tune. His remix of "Love is Surrender" is rendered unlistenable because of it. Here, it's too loud with an over-pronounced "pop". It also falls out of time more than a often. I also hear the fuller harmonies, though those sound great as always.

Ed
I’m so glad I’m not the only one who hears it! I think the 1997 US Readers Digest version also has studio additions, but they’re much more subtle than this one, imho.

Richard's penchant redoing kick drums in particular has hurt many a tune. His remix of "Love is Surrender" is rendered unlistenable because of it.

That artificial kick drum sound he added to ‘Love Is Surrender’ and the 1991 remix of ‘Top Of The World’ is behind the beat on both of them, which I agree renders them unlistenable.

That artificial kick drum sound he added to ‘Love Is Surrender’ and the 1991 remix of ‘Top Of The World’ is behind the beat on both of them, which I agree renders them unlistenable.
Same. I'm glad that the 2004 remix of "Top of the World" got rid of that artificial kick drum. The kick drum + loudness wars rendered a lot of the remixes unlistenable to me.

Back
Top Bottom