• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Really BAD Gold review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murray

I just found a new review of Carpenters Gold on the web:

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/entertainment/music/8064029.htm

Written by a "critic" who obviously has NO sense whatsoever! :mad:

In the same review, he also slams the new Rita Coolidge compilation,and gets in a jab at A&M records as well.

The author's email address is given at the end of the article. Be sure to give him a piece of your mind concerning his "review"...

Murray

Another "hipper than thou" critic. Probably somewhere choking on his wine and cheese...

Harry
...unimpressed, online...

Hi folk's,

I felt compelled to write my thoughts down and send them to Mr. Man who indeed wrote the GOLD review. I've ALWAYS been "sensitive" to reviews and this isn't my first note to a writer. Anyway, here is what I said:

Dear Sir,

However you choose to disparage Karen Carpenter is your business...almost. You didn't bother to mention that CarpenterS ( yes guys, the logo went too) have international sales of over 100,000,000 units. Or the fact that they garnered three Grammy Awards for excellence in music...before the Awards were given simply to the flavor of the month...hence Beyonce.The fact that they had three number one singles, the biggest American born hit machine of the seventies and their efforts trailblazing a new sound in music and style. It would seem more appropriate to use your writing skills with these facts intact.

Grumbling in Portland, Oregon,

J.N.

So Guys, do you think I made my point? One time when the Captain & Tennille were on the charts, a colunmist wrote that "CarpenterS fans have SWITCHED over to the COOL C&T" Being all of thirteen at the time I had to put in my two sense there too.

A bit defensive...still,

Jeff

I think the review of GOLD was a bit harsh,but it does reflect the sentiment I made on a previous post about most of the hit singles not being her best work.The fact is,songs like "Sing","Please Mr.Postman","Calling Occupants","Theres A Kind Of Hush","Sweet Sweet Smile" and "Top Of The World" are the most embarrassing items in K&R's discography.And putting all of them on one compilation wasn't a smart move.(of course,adding those three lackluster outtakes didn't help matters,either).Timeless standards like "Don't Cry For Me Argentina","When I Fall In Love","Desperado",and I Can Dream,Can't I" would have been more appropriate for inclusion on this set,and more worthy of the title "GOLD"!(and would've garnered better reviews,as well)

And I'd have to agree with the assessment of Ms. Coolidge's rendition of "Higher And Higher" -- if only because of my own bias towards the late Jackie Wilson's rollicking original (although it could be argued that, his earlier hits and subsequent mid-to-late '60's comeback notwithstanding, the rest of Mr. Wilson's career with the Brunswick label was even more futile and wasted in terms of potential). But I don't really think it's fair to attribute this factoid to Ms. Coolidge's association with A&M, and I can lay it out in two words: Linda Ronstadt, a.k.a. Queen of Covers in the '70's. Wonder what that "critic" thought of Ms. Ronstadt's recordings of the same period. (Though it would seem that Ms. Coolidge at the time was A&M's answer to Ms. Ronstadt, which may not have necessarily been the case in actuality.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom