Reconstructing Made in America

And therein lies the problem. No matter how you slice and dice the available material, or which outtakes you include, it’s impossible to come up with a hit album for 1981.

Neither of them had the musical sense to compete in the Pop genre in the 80s. They really needed to take a left turn into standards. I can't stand Country music but "Those Good Old Dreams" and "Sweet, Sweet Smile" were approximations of that style so maybe that would have been the way to go. Whatever their choice, Pop music was not the way forward for them.

Ed

there has only ever been one Karen Carpenter. Her talent is utterly singular and she should never have been buried in "double tracking" and overproduction the way she was on "Made in America.

Ed
Well, you'd have to know that I would agree fully with this brilliant - and indisputable - observation...and not just MIA, but every thing else they ever recorded...

Careful now Ed - You're starting to sound an awful lot like someone else here...

Well, you'd have to know that I would agree fully with this brilliant - and indisputable - observation...and not just MIA, but every thing else they ever recorded...

Careful now Ed - You're starting to sound an awful lot like someone else here...

Fair! 🤣🤣. This record in particular just buries her. She is a cog in the machinery here. It’s all about the production and that NEVER should have happened. Like…NEVER.

Ed

I was just about to say the same thing, Mark. I like what you did with the track list. My only problem is that I like "I Believe You" and feel that relegating it to single-only status would have been a disservice to it. I think I'd eliminate "Your Baby..." and put in "I Believe You", only because it belongs on this album. I really like "Your Baby..." and would rather it be used on the next album.

Here's some cover art I came up with, a different version of the inner photo that was used on a Brazilian single:

MadeInAmericaRedux.jpg
Very late to the party but I came here to say this.

“(Want You) Back in My Life Again” October 21, 1980
“Your Baby Doesn’t Love You Anymore” October 22, 1980

Looking back at this timeline, I have to say the difference in the quality of the recording of Karen’s vocal from one day to the next is astonishing.

Fair! 🤣🤣. This record in particular just buries her. She is a cog in the machinery here. It’s all about the production and that NEVER should have happened. Like…NEVER.

Ed
It's so incredibly sad how they mishandled her in the studio, and failed miserably in promoting her and her voice, the most beautiful and mesmerizing in Pop/Rock history - and its sadder still how she, for the most part, ultimately allowed them to do it with only a little meek resistance...for us, the saddest thing of all is the recordings she never made and the wonderful songs we'll never hear her sing...it's all so heartbreaking.

Looking back at this timeline, I have to say the difference in the quality of the recording of Karen’s vocal from one day to the next is astonishing.
I couldn't agree more. All one has to do is listen to these songs closely. The evidence points to the fact that Karen's vocals were fine and dandy during the MIA sessions. She CHOSE to sing certain tracks during this period in a softer style. Similar to 'All Because Of You' from the solo album. Almost a whisper.

Karen was in excellent form vocally during the MIA sessions. Take a listen to 'At The End Of A Song' or 'The Rainbow Connection'. That's the old Karen....deep, resonant and rich.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom