🎵 AotW Rita Coolidge - NEVER LET YOU GO (SP-4914)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Rita Coolidge
NEVER LET YOU GO
A&M SP-4914

07502149141.gif

TRACKS:

I'll Never Let You Go 4:18
Tempted 3:45
Stop Wasting Your Time 4:12
Shadow in the Night 3:35
Only You 3:15

You Do It 3:19
Fools in Love 3:44
Do You Really Want to Hurt Me 4:00
You Ought to Be With Me 3:15
We've Got Tonight 4:38 -- duet with Jermaine Jackson

All Time High, from 'Octopussy', was added to later pressings

Released 1983

JB

Oooh, an A&M-era that was a nadir for Coolidge... Obviously a final release by her & a climactic release from the otherwise loyal & faithful label she'd put over a decade in...

Yeh, this would need "All Time High (from OCTOPUSSY)" added to really mean anything to Rita & those still her fans, as well as A&M to get something left, once the hit making cupboard was finally bare...!

(The duet w/ Jermaine Jackson on the remake Bob Seger's "We've Got Tonight" surely wasn't it...! Covering Culture Club's "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" wasn't either...! Nor was even covering Joe Jackson "Fools In Love", Chaz Jankel's "Stop Wasting Your Time", or Squeeze's "Tempted"...!)

-- Dave

Last edited:
Dave: You forgot to mention the remake of Al Green 1972 song "You Ought To Be With Me". Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Dave: You forgot to mention the remake of Al Green 1972 song "You Ought To Be With Me".

Yeh, but that was actually the one good song... And the "Only You" is not the Platters tune, of which it seemed that anything like an "Oldies" ('50's-to-early '60's) and at least the soulful Al Green number was what you could count on Rita to do!

The title track was just the typical assembly-line songwriter mill drivel, that characterized Coolidge's later career... The Deborah Allen song rings of a competent but bland C&W number... While the obscure "Shadow In The Night" was a fair try at an almost-hit, but doing little-to-nothing for singer or composer/s...

-- Dave

Last edited:
NOT the same song BUT Pat Benatar did "Shadows Of The Night" (from late 1982 "Get Nervous"). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Rita had one more album for A&M called "Inside the Fire" in 1984, then Rita was dropped from A&M. Rita would not make a return comeback until "Fire Me Back" (1990) & "Love Lessons" (1992). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

"Tempted" sounds on paper like a good fit for her - she's such a mellow singer and her sound is so specific that it really depends on the song selection and production style to give it a vibe and keep it interesting......

I Enjoy this one completely. the title song was played constantly in 1983 on one top40 station here ( who was very notorious for playing the same songs twice per hour.) But there were good remakes of" tempted" and "Do you really Want to Hurt Me. And all the rest of the album that were ignored. Fortunately after a couple decades i was finally able to get a copy of this album. It is truly a Rita Coolidge Classic Rarity. And Well worth the search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom