Rock Hall of Fame 'Revolutionary Women in Music' exhibit

crescentnoon

I wanted to share an e-mail I received that was sent to Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 'Member' Newsletter recipients. I think with the direction the Hall is leaning, it is probably a certainty that we should look past the Hall as any type of fair minded, legitimate musical organization. They seem now, and may have always been, far too political. It is not merely a metric of quality but who they think 'fits in' to their chosen ideology. We should perhaps look to Carpenters as has recently been highlighted as the 'classiest band ever' and realize they are and have always been too good for this 'institution'. I just thought this was too illuminating not to share:

'Revolutionary Women in Music: Left of Center will examine the work of courageous, groundbreaking, rebellious musicians, from the 1970s to today, who use songwriting, music, and performance to subvert societal norms.

These musicians have challenged traditional gender roles; created inclusive, supportive communities that are respectful of women’s diverse experiences, identities, knowledge, and strengths; and empowered women to realize and embrace their authentic selves.'

Well, it's still not beyond the realm of possibility. After all, Karen did challenge traditional gender roles by playing the drums. However, it's not what she or the Carpenters are remembered for, so your assertion is probably accurate.

Well, it's still not beyond the realm of possibility. After all, Karen did challenge traditional gender roles by playing the drums. However, it's not what she or the Carpenters are remembered for, so your assertion is probably accurate.
I find it ironic that Karen (and Richard) challenged THIER (RRHOF) societal "norms," were "ground breaking," and embraced their (K&R's) "authentic" selves, but will never be considered for induction. At the time, Richard and Karen were the rebellion!

I just had to put my 2 cent worth in here and say that I hope to never see Karen or Richard's name in RRHOF! It's the most elitist and biased organization, a bunch of half wits. They must be all tone deaf because the worst band to ever record music (Talking Heads) is in it.

While I am not a Talking Heads fan, there's no way that I can agree with the assessment of them being the "worst band ever" ... or close to it. I admire David Byrne and know that he and the band have had a tremendous influence on other musicians. I can't say I love their music, but I do understand why they are considered a creative force.

There are a great many artists and bands in the RRHOF that I don't particularly care for. But I try to be careful to separate my personal tastes from a more objective standard of what is good. My tastes have also changed over the years. There are artists and bands I deemed awful back in the day, for whom I have developed a healthy respect in later years.

I do agree that the RRHOF has shown an unfortunate bias, and I suspect that for this reason, the Carpenters will never be inducted. It's not a big deal to me either way, except that if they ever were inducted, it would demonstrate to me that their harshest critics were finally listening to the music and not excluding Karen and Richard based solely on their image.

Back
Top Bottom