S.R.O. album jacket differences

Anyone notice Pat’s wrong bass note at the fade out of Blue Sunday?
Yep. One note -- but it sticks out. Notice also how Bob's bone is obviously flat when he hits that high note on the intro to For Carlos? I could see Herb letting Pat's note stay, but Bob's note -- that one surprises me. I mean it's a trombone, you tune as you play, you dig? At a minimum, they could have punched that intro. SRO has its fair number of "notable items" that you don't hear on SOTB--WNML.

As for the bass, Herb had a full, robust bass on GP and WNML; however, he definitely pulled it back starting in various places with SRO.

It sounds better to me in the mono mix for some reason.
I would say the whole Mono mix of SRO sounds a bit better given what we know about the tape damage and slight irregularities on the stereo I still have my mono versions on vinyl as most likely they will never be reissued Digitally ( and Yes they all have been Needle dropped)

...Also, Herb and Jerry moved A&M into the Charlie Chaplin lot, NOV1966... With all that going on select activities were by this time increasingly surely beyond Herb's and Jerry's direct control, and somewhere along the way SRO -- as "product" -- was impacted, yet it was too late to do anything about it (as A&M chose to strike while the fire was red-hot).

In fact, I own that particular pressing, however the cover is nowhere near that color - it's more of the standard "manila" cover. You cannot always trust that Discogs photos are accurate color-wise. Different digital scanners, monitors, and cameras with varying light sources can drastically alter the real color. Whenever I upload a picture, I try to color-match as best I can, but even then, if someone else's monitor is skewed toward one color or another, it'll look wrong.

For some of the work I do (including retouching, video, graphics work, etc.) I decided it would be best to calibrate my monitor. This is where you use a sensor next to the screen to determine color, brightness, contrast, etc. and this in turn creates a color profile I can load in the OS when the computer boots up.

It only makes it obvious how atrocious many of those Discogs album photos are.

While working on the CTI series, I didn't have a lot of time to tweak images (unless everything was so horribly off), so I found the album image that looked close to what I thought it should look like. A little color shift is one thing, but when the hue is so far off that the photo looks tinted, that doesn't help Discogs users at all.

For some of the work I do (including retouching, video, graphics work, etc.) I decided it would be best to calibrate my monitor. This is where you use a sensor next to the screen to determine color, brightness, contrast, etc. and this in turn creates a color profile I can load in the OS when the computer boots up.

It only makes it obvious how atrocious many of those Discogs album photos are.

While working on the CTI series, I didn't have a lot of time to tweak images (unless everything was so horribly off), so I found the album image that looked close to what I thought it should look like. A little color shift is one thing, but when the hue is so far off that the photo looks tinted, that doesn't help Discogs users at all.
Makes sense. And I thought I found a lost treasure!

My two cents on S.R.O. - it maxed at #2 (Billboard) on December 31, 1966. It did chart for 85 weeks.
And somehow there was never a stereo jukebox Little LP (SP419) for the album - or despite all my searching, I never found one.

I always thought the opener on SRO ("Our Day WIll Come") sounded compressed. Part of it is the cowbell in the mix. I'm not sure why that sound makes the whole thing sound odd to me, but it does. The bass is kind of weak -- compare it to "What Now My Love" or "Tijuana Taxi," it's night and day. Other songs on that album don't have the problem, like "Mexican Road Race" sounds awesome to me, it's just the "Our Day" opener that sounds "off" to my ears.

I use Discogs quite a bit for purchasing things that are harder to find. As with any used-item sellers, buyer beware, and don't be afraid of asking questions about condition.

Back
Top Bottom