• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

SACD Player Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also remembered last night before retiring that I had one other high-rez type disc. It's a CD+DVD copy of The Beach Boys PET SOUNDS, released in 2006. One disc is a standard CD with the album in mono and stereo. The second disc, a DVD, contains four videos (promotional, documentary-type stuff), a photo gallery. Then there's an audio layer (?) to this DVD that has:

- Album program in High-Res 96 kHz/24-bit PCM Stereo
- Album program in Dolby Digitial 5.1 Surround Sound
- Hang On To Your Ego in Hi-Res 96 kHz/24-bit PCM Mono

The Blu-ray player seems to handle all of this. My copy is the standard jewel-case version rather than the fuzzy digipak. I remember buying it up in Pennsylvania at a Borders store on release day and choosing the jewel-case since it was cheaper.

It's kind of ironic that an album that was originally formulated and designed for mono would have such expanded-for-stereo-and-surround versions. But it's also been released in SACD versions too.

Harry

Last edited:
- Album program in High-Res 96 kHz/24-bit PCM Stereo
- Album program in Dolby Digitial 5.1 Surround Sound
- Hang On To Your Ego in Hi-Res 96 kHz/24-bit PCM Mono

These are probably separate "titles" in the VIDEO_TS folder, so they'll play on any DVD player. You can have PCM audio tracks, uncompressed, at either 96/24 or 48/24 on a standard DVD and it will be within DVD specs (meaning it works on any DVD player). Some old DVD players can't go as high as 96/24, but those are ancient--probably back to the mid 1990s.

I was under the impression that SACDs were no longer being manufactured. I know that the HDCD has gone the way of the cylinder, 8-track tape, audio cassette and 78 rpm.

They are more popular now actually. Mobile Fidelity, Audio Fidelity and Analogue Productions are releasing some nice remastered titles, and some of the majors in Japan are still releasing some also. But the surround titles are rare in any format now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom