• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Saturday Evening Post Similar to cover of Christmas Portrait

Status
Not open for further replies.

andywithaz

I found this to be very interesting. I have noticed that the early editions of the Saturday Evening Post have an almost identical cover to the cover of Christmas Portait. The font and design are exactly the same.

Here is an auction with a great picture.

click here

Correct me if I'm wrong, but . . . didn't Norman Rockwell (who did many a Saturday Evening Post cover over the decades) also do the Christmas Portrait cover? If he did, that might explain the similarities . . .

No Rockwell there--just a clever parody. I checked my original vinyl copy and it says:

Art Direction & Design: Tim Bryant/Gribbitt (where have I heard of Gribbitt before?)

Illustration: Robert Tanenbaum (heh...almost a "holiday" name :wink: )

Rudy said:
Art Direction & Design: Tim Bryant/Gribbitt (where have I heard of Gribbitt before?)
Gribbitt was, to put it mildly, ubiquitous on quite a few late-1970's album covers (I have a copy of the late Barry White's The Man album, also from 1978, which sports the Gribbitt credit).

Rudy said:
Illustration: Robert Tanenbaum (heh...almost a "holiday" name :wink: )
Which leads to this question: Did Mr. Tanenbaum do any SEP covers after its 1970's revival (the "original" Post was discontinued in 1969)?

W.B. said:
Gribbitt was, to put it mildly, ubiquitous on quite a few late-1970's album covers (I have a copy of the late Barry White's The Man album, also from 1978, which sports the Gribbitt credit).

That was my first Barry White album. :) I probably have more with that credit on it somewhere...probably more in pop music, I take it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom