• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Sergio appearance on other artists recordings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua do Brasil

Dear Mendes fans,

Sergio Mendes played on a few recordings by other artists.
He played with his Bossa Rio Sextet in 1962 on 2 records with the
great alto-sax jazz legend Cannonball Adderley.

He appears (I’m not quite sure about this but have a Philips compilation from the ’70s, the credits mentioned ’Felicidade: Antonio Carlos Jobim and Sergio Mendes’.) on Felicidade by Antonio Carlos Jobim, The Warner Bros recording the ‘Wonderous world of Antonio Carlos Jobim’.

‘The sound of Ipanema’ from 1964, a wonderful recording with compositions by Bossa Nova pioneer Carlos Lyra. With Alto sax player Paul Winter, Sebastiao Neto, Bass, Milton Banana, drums, Carlos Lyra, acoustic guitar and vocals and Sergio on piano.

Sergio played synthesizers on the 1978 Elektra recording ‘Nightingale’
by Gilberto Gil along with (and amongst others) Don Grusin Keyboards, Lee Ritenour, Michael Sembello and Oscar Castro Neves guitars.
He also played synthesizer on the song ‘Velho Piano’ with vocals by Nana Cyammi on the Elektra-Musician recording US recording debut by the great composer/guitarist Dori Caymmi. Sergio produced both above mentioned recordings.
Finally he played keyboards on the record Kevyn Lettau in 1990 on one song, the Milton Nascimento composition ‘Bridges’. Sergio and Kevyn played a vocal/keyboard duet.

As far as i know thats all that I know about Sergio’s apearrance on other artists recordings. Maybe you know more recordings,

All the best!
Aqua do Brasil

In addition to all you mentioned, Sergio also produced for Edu Lobo's Lobo Lp on A&M Records. He also did production for Johnny Mathis, as well as Sarah Vaughn--her last album--which included most of what was then Brasil '99. :D

Jon...the "Brasil Nut'

Aqua do Brasil said:
Sergio Mendes played on a few recordings by other artists.
He played with his Bossa Rio Sextet in 1962 on 2 records with the
great alto-sax jazz legend Cannonball Adderley.

Two records? Though it has been released in a number of labels(Riverside,Capitol,Landmark via Fantasy),under a few different titles(e.g.-"Cannonball's Bossa Nova","Cannonball Goes Latin")I am only aware of one recording,the Dec. 1962 New York recording with the additonal takes for 45RPM added to some of the releases. What am I missing? Mac

Yes, there is only one album Sergio did with Cannonball. He is not on the Wonderful World of Antonio Carlos Jobim. He is, however (again with members of the original Bossa Rio Sextet) on two Atlantic albums (both available on CD) by Herbie Mann--Do the Bossa Nova and Latin Fever.

It's not really an apperance per se, but he translated one verse of lyrics to the Stevie Wonder song "Bird of Beauty" into Portuguese for Wonder's Fulfillingness' First Finale album. I always thought SM should have recorded that song. It's a fave of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom