• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Sergio at Town Hall NYC this past Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

glidernyc

I just found this board and site. What a great place!

Went to see Sergio on Saturday night at Town Hall here in NYC. It was my second time seeing him live. I saw him a few years ago at the Blue Note. The Blue Note show was fun, but very short (as are all sets at the Blue Note apparently). No encores at that show.

This past Saturday's show was a blast. Some sound mix problems during the first number or two, but then everything settled in real nicely. Great mix of 60s Sergio hits and later Sergio tunes. Voce Abuoso, Fool on the Hill, Look of Love, Constant is the Rain (sorry, don't know correct Portugeuse spelling -- Chave Chuva?) from the 60s/70s time frame.

Sergio himself seemed to have a great time and his band seemed genuinely moved by the reception and reaction of the audience. Took a while, but eventually the audience got off their seats and started swaying to the music. The band itself was excellent. There was no program or playbill, so I couldn't catch the names of the fine musician who comprised Sergio Mendes and Brasil 2003 (I guess you would call them this?). Several encores. The crowd couldn't get enough (I know I couldn't).

I am 38 and a native New Yorker. Been listening to Sergio since I was an infant -- my mom played his records constantly in our apartment in Woodside. Never got his music out of my mind and have regularly listened to his records throughout the years, through all phases of life, despite any other music I was getting into at whatever time.

Excuse my reminiscing, but the show really moved me. It was great.

Brian

glidernyc said:
...I am 38 and a native New Yorker. Been listening to Sergio since I was an infant -- my mom played his records constantly in our apartment in Woodside. Never got his music out of my mind and have regularly listened to his records throughout the years, through all phases of life, despite any other music I was getting into at whatever time.

Excuse my reminiscing, but the show really moved me. It was great...

First of all, Welcome to our Forum! Second of all, no apologies necessary!! We all love Sergio...especially me!!! I'm known as A&M Corner's resident "Brasil Nut", and I've seen Sergio perform close to 30 times over the years! Can't get enough of that Mendes sound. I'm two years older than you. I have a very similar story in regard to how I came to know and love Sergio's music. My parents were fans of Brasil '65 (I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area), and used to see them perform at El Matador and other small clubs in the City. Of course, when Sergio hit it big with Brasil '66, the music played in my household -- and it stuck! :wink:

I've made some sensational "Mendes" friends over the years here at A&M Corner. Paula Worhatch (afficionado of Lani Hall's music as well as learning Portuguese so she can understand the music she loves so dearly...also very, very giving and helpful), Harry Neyhart (extremely knowledgeable about all things A&M), Paul Jeromack (one of my closest friends and a Native New Yorker as well...he called me with a report when he got home from the Town Hall show the other night...told me all about the three Filipino girls who sang "Going Out Of My Head" near the end of the show!), Jeff Kauffman (an extremely talented musician who, in addition to recording his own CD -- sensational -- has met and played with some of Sergio's pals in the course of his career), Brandon Bergeron (another San Franciscan who attended a local Mendes performance with me two days after September 11th, and shared a table with my Mom and I at Bimbo's last year for a Brasil 2002 performance in San Francisco...) The list goes on and on...B.J. Major (and her Mendes site which is sensational!), etc. Great people all! :)

We're glad to have you here, Brian! Don't be a stranger!! Join us for some spirited Mendes-Talk, share your stories and feelings about his music. We'd love to share with you. I know I've learned and gained so much from these wonderful people. Welcome to the club!

Jon

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself - I did too, but I found the sound curiously muffled and fuzzy - It wasn't nearly as crisp as the Blue Note gig. and - I was right on top of the group in the balcony! I could barely hear Jessica Taylor or Dawn Bishop - and I really missed Gracinhas' powerful vocals (she wasn't there). The Three Filipino singers who opened the show were VERY good and strong, but it took nearly as much time for the roadies to disconnect thier equipment and set-up Sergio's that I'm convinced someone inadvertently screwed up the sound equipment for Sergio's set. But as can be expected, There were some exciting bits. "Upa, Nehinguo" (sp!) became an exciting free-flowing jam, and "The Girl From Ipenema" was excellent...but when those three Filipino girl singers came on for an encore for "Goin' Out Of My Head" (they had thier own mikes)..I hate to say it, but they blew Jessica and Dawn away with some powerful and soulful belting. Jessica and Dawn were off to the side and I was wondering what they were thinking...

Jon, thanks for the nice welcome. I like the site even better now!

I agree with other posters that the Saturday show at Town Hall had some sound problems. But, to my ear, they cleared up rather quickly. Perhaps it mattered where the listener was sitting.

As for the opening act singers -- they were nice. They certainly had trained voices. Didn't care for their song selection overall. Enjoyed it when they joined Sergio on stage though. As MasterLcZ notes, it was one of the highlights of the show.

Another highlight (for me, at least) was Sergio's rendition of Waters of March.

To re-emphasize one last point -- Sergio and the band seemed to have a great time. He said that he intended/wanted to play Town Hall and NYC every year. From his mouth to the Gods of Music's ears. It would be great to get an annual visit from Sergio -- I notice he plays West coast venues fairly frequently, but less frequently here in the East.

And finally a question for the Board members -- When Tom Jobim died here in NYC a few years ago, they put together a great tribute concert at Carnegie Hall. Does anyone know if there are any annual tribute concerts or festivals featuring Jobim's work?

Thanks,

Brian

glidernyc said:
Jon, thanks for the nice welcome. I like the site even better now!

We're pleased to have you here and glad that you like our little Corner of the Internet!! :D

glidernyc said:
I agree with other posters that the Saturday show at Town Hall had some sound problems. But, to my ear, they cleared up rather quickly. Perhaps it mattered where the listener was sitting.

We were in Sacramento, CA., when Sergio introduced Brasil 2000. I recall that the show was billed as "Sergio Mendes & Brasil '99. Imagine our delight when the announcer said, "Ladies and Gentlemen...Please help us welcome to the stage...Sergio Mendes & Brasil 2000!" It was a surprise because there was a thread here at the Corner in late '99 concerning what Sergio might call the group in the year 2000 (does anyone remember that thread?) We were coming up with "Sergio Mendes & Brasil '00," etc. Had a lot of fun with it. The show in Sacramento answered our question!

Anyway...the Sacramento show was plagued with sound problems. It was an open air venue -- the courtyard of a Radisson Hotel. Microphones were screaming and cutting out, Sergio couldn't hear through his monitor (and said so several times throughout the show), etc. When the show ended, Sergio didn't stick around to sign autographs...he was mad as hell and did a beeline for the dressing rooms. These things happen occasionally. Part of life on the road.

glidernyc said:
As for the opening act singers -- they were nice. They certainly had trained voices. Didn't care for their song selection overall. Enjoyed it when they joined Sergio on stage though. As MasterLcZ notes, it was one of the highlights of the show.

Paul did tell me about the other singers. Sounds like they were spectacular. Sergio has had some great singers of late. Of course, there's Jessica Taylor (the blonde) and Dawn Bishop (she's a cute African American singer who happens to be a Professor Of Music at Boston University) and the best of all...Mrs. Mendes...the wonderfully talented Gracinha Leporace. A couple of years ago he had a wonderful vocalist from South America named Frances Benitez who sang with his ever-talented and amazing Carol Rogers. Short of Gracinha's tenure (Brasil '66 through today), Carol sung for Sergio for well over 20 years. Of course, he's had the sensational Kevyn Lettau, well-known jazz vocalist Dianne Reeves and Maureen McGovern among others. Quite a stable of vocal talent -- not to mention the incredible musicians he surrounds himself with! :wink:

glidernyc said:
Another highlight (for me, at least) was Sergio's rendition of Waters of March.

Isn't "Waters Of March" just great on stage? Being a fan of anything Jobim, I couldn't agree with you more! :)

glidernyc said:
To re-emphasize one last point -- Sergio and the band seemed to have a great time. He said that he intended/wanted to play Town Hall and NYC every year. From his mouth to the Gods of Music's ears. It would be great to get an annual visit from Sergio -- I notice he plays West coast venues fairly frequently, but less frequently here in the East.

I jokingly told Paul the other night that it's "his turn" to get the Sergio shows out there. For the last four years I've been calling him saying, "Sergio is playing in San Francisco!" "Sergio is playing in San Jose!" "Sergio is playing in Los Gatos!" Sergio is loyal to the Bay Area because this is where Brasil '65 got its start. It's also where Brasil '66 first appeared with the Tijuana Brass (at the now defunct Circle Star Theatre in Redwood City). Other than a San Franciso appearance last year (at Bimbo's 365 Club), he hasn't played the Bay Area in a while... :sad: But I'm sure he soon will. :D

He does seem to have a great time with his musicians and singers, doesn't he? Agreed. I like the way they talk and interact during the show.

glidernyc said:
And finally a question for the Board members -- When Tom Jobim died here in NYC a few years ago, they put together a great tribute concert at Carnegie Hall. Does anyone know if there are any annual tribute concerts or festivals featuring Jobim's work?

I don't know of any, Brian. Perhaps Paul Jeromack (MasterLCZ) or other NYC Cornerites might be able to fill you in on this. If so, I'd like to attend. Being a flight attendant, I like to see shows or base my trips around concert schedules whenever I can. I'd like to know about Tom Jobim Tributes as well! :)

Take Care!

Jon

<<Other than a San Franciso appearance last year (at Bimbo's 365 Club), he hasn't played the Bay Area in a while... >>

Wow - now Bimbo's would be a GREAT place to see Sergio. I've seen a couple of shows there during my visits to Frisco and I love that venue.

Also, continuing on Paul's point -- sound quality is so key to enjoying any concert (obviously). Given the infrequency with which Sergio appears here on the East Coast, it was a shame the sound quality was not all it could be at the Town Hall show. As Paul said, at Sergio's last appearance here in NYC (at the Blue Note) the sound quality was very good.

Regards.

Brian

Does anyone know if Sergio has hinted at a new recording? I'm curious because I ran into a situation with Yellowjackets--they self-released their last recording, not signed to a major label...and a few of the clubs would NOT book them. Most notably Yoshi's up there in the Bay area...they flat out refused. (Regardless of the fact that the Jackets could fill the club anyway.) They just signed with HeadsUP Int'l, which is a Telarc subsidiary...and now they're back in the loop again. Some of the clubs won't book an artist if they think they don't have drawing power, which they see as a band having a label contract and a current album. Makes me wonder if Sergio's management runs into that kind of roadblock, which might signify a lack of clubs willing to book his band. Oceano was his last new release (when...1998?)...and all the rest have been the reissues in Japan. He's hardly on a nostalgia trip either, from what I"m reading here! Maybe he should just make his next recording a live one. :)

Rudy said:
Does anyone know if Sergio has hinted at a new recording? I'm curious because I ran into a situation with Yellowjackets--they self-released their last recording, not signed to a major label...and a few of the clubs would NOT book them. Most notably Yoshi's up there in the Bay area...they flat out refused. (Regardless of the fact that the Jackets could fill the club anyway.) They just signed with HeadsUP Int'l, which is a Telarc subsidiary...and now they're back in the loop again. Some of the clubs won't book an artist if they think they don't have drawing power, which they see as a band having a label contract and a current album. Makes me wonder if Sergio's management runs into that kind of roadblock, which might signify a lack of clubs willing to book his band. Oceano was his last new release (when...1998?)...and all the rest have been the reissues in Japan. He's hardly on a nostalgia trip either, from what I"m reading here! Maybe he should just make his next recording a live one. :)

Paul can attest to the fact that Gracinha's answer (in regard to a new album) was an emphatic shaking of the head, a deadpan expression and a simple, if not drawn-out, "Nooo..." "I'd love to see him put the Jobim material on an album," I told her. "Yeah," added Paul, "it was nice to see the Jobim material...not that we don't like 'Fool On The Hill' and 'Look Of Love,' but it was nice to see Sergio do the old stuff again..." Gracinha smiled and concurred. That was as far as the conversation went. From there we went into Tiago (their 11-year-old son), school, how Gracinha arranges her touring schedule, etc.

As for Sergio, that's another story. Brandon and I asked him about a new album two years ago (two or three days following September 11th when Sergio and the band performed at Flint Center down the street from my house.) He said, "It's in the works..." and left it at that. Again, that was two years ago. Brandon did talk to the rest of the band members that evening, but I'm not sure what they discussed. Perhaps he can fill us in?

Going back to the Blue Note, Bill Brendle, Sergio's musical director (and partner of keyboards) answered Paul's question about a new album with an affirmative, "No... not that I know of, but it would be nice..." Carol Rogers also confirmed this when Brandon and I visited with her following the Flint Center event. "Nope," she said, "nothing new that I know of..." "But Sergio said he's working on it," I replied. "Oh, I think he's just saying that," she countered.

Then again, a Brazilian web site claimed (two years ago) that Sergio had been in Brasil, listening to new sounds, collecting CDs and bringing musicians back the States for a recording session. Nothing (so far) has come of that, other than the fact that he brought Garreto Barrato (his talented guitarist) back to tour with him, but nothing studio-wise.

As for booking, I know that Sergio pretty much gets whatever venue he chooses. He's known for raking in the $$$ and selling out. I was surprised to hear that this weekend's Town Hall performance in NYC was not sold out. That could have been the result of poor promotion. Then again, Sergio did a week's worth of shows at the Blue Note in November. That could explain the lack of attendance at Town Hall. I have never been to a Mendes performance that hasn't sold out.

My brother-in-law told me the same thing about the YellowJackets. Interesting turn of events. Glad they're back in the loop. I've been a fan of theirs for years. As for Sergio, a live album would be sensational. He is waxing nostalgic in a Jobim way -- also playing obscure songs from the Brasil '66 - '77 catalog. Songs such as "Zanzibar" and "Lapinha" have found their way into his lineup. Great to hear these old songs again. Whatever he does, I do hope that he'll get back into the studio soon. It's time for another Mendes project...are you listening Sergio? :wink:

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom