• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Sergio Mendes & Brasil 2002 at the Blue Note, NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

TulitaPepsi

Caught both shows on Tuesday (opening night):Sergio featured Gracinha (who looks better than I've ever seen her with her new blonde-frosted hair) and gorgeous, blonde Jessica Taylor, (who looks like a 25 year old Karen Phillip and sounds remarkably like Gracinha) ...chatted with Bill Brendle, Sergio's music director for some time, who was amazed I knew so much about the whereabouts of Kevyn ("She's in Manila now, right?" "Uhh, yes..How'd you know that?")Frances etc. thanks to being tipped off a few days earlier by BrasilNut (who saw them a few weeks beforehand at Bimbos in SF). Sergio looked tired (must have been either jetlag or the cold, clammy weather), but he was pleasant and gracious to speak with as was Gracinha. And he said he WAS working on a new album but wasn't more specific.

Yesterday, BrasilNut (Jon) arrived in NYC - we had intended to just see Sergio's shows on Saturday, but he got hear early enough last night for us to hop a subway down to the Blue Note last night, where we squeezed in a crowded table (the waitresses were very friendly and accomodating) to catch Sergio's 10:30 show too.

I only wish the New Yorker critic could have seen what Sergio and his tight group did - Except for the sparking opening of Pretty World , One Note Samba/Spanish Flea and the inevitable Mais Que Nada, ALL the music performed was classic Brasilian with a heavy emphasis on Jobim, including several classics as yet unrecorded by Sergio & Co. Amazingly (and refreshingly) there was no Fool/Going Out Of My Head/Look of Love 'English' hits of Brasil '66 (Sergio never even mentioned 'The Good Old Days of Brasil '66' the way he always did). Sergio seemed in a much better frame of mind, he was very 'up', joking with the other musicians and making eye contact with Gracinha who sung 'Anos Dourados' to him in a strong voice. Afterwards Jon & I went backstage, where Jons appearance garnered much surprised comment - Jessia looked at him and said "Didn't I meet you at Bimbos last month...and after September 11, when we performed in San Jose?" Hussein (Sergio's bassist) was friendly and chatty as was Bill who exchanged some amusing comments regarding Karen with us.

Bill also told us that Lani & Herb make a point of Sergio's California shows often and that both of them are as sweet and down-to-earth as can be imagined. He mentioned that he had played for Lani on occaision and could not say enough nice things about her.

Oh, yeah...among the songs performed were Voce Abousou, Lapinha Zanzibar, Promise of a Fisherman, Balafon, A Felicidade, Ela a Carioca, Desafinado, Tempo Feliz, Indiado, Aguas de Março.

We're going back for two shows tonight, and will report back! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom