• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 Play The Hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
I'm not sure what the thought process was for this release - 8 tracks for under $6 - due out on July 13th:

1. Night and Day
2. Look of Love, The
3. For What It's Worth
4. Scarborough Fair
5. What the World Needs Now is Love
6. (Sittin' On) the Dock of the Bay
7. Fool On the Hill, The
8. With a Little Help From My Friends

There are apparently four in this series so far. The other three are Wes Montgomery, Jimmy Smith, and Grover Washington, Jr.

It must be a budget line.

Harry

This is a new trend. I had to spend some time in Target a week or two ago and browsed their music department for the first time in a long time. Probably a quarter of their selection were new, abbreviated complilations with price tags from $3.99-$5.99.

Anything to jump-start CD sales, I guess.

TulitaPepsi said:
No "Mas Que Nada"?! I'm shocked! :D

Well, in this case "The Hits" seems to be other people's hits: Frank Sinatra, The Springfield Twins (Dusty and Buffalo) :D , Simon & Garfunkel, Jackie DeShannon, Otis Redding and The Beatles.

If it ain't a cover, it ain't in there.

Walmart is full of similar compilations. With a program time near 30 minutues tops, charging more than $6 would be highway robbery.

While original album reissues exist, I won't spend money on a repackage.

JB

We live in a Walmart and Target mentality world. Junk albums like this fits with that.

I will not buy music from either of those places, I occasionaly hold my nose and get something at Best Buy, but frankly, buying music from these places is downright depressing.

On line or the rare independent record shops are the way to go.

This Mendes release is overkill and completely rediculous.

The reality is though, that WalMart is in the driver's seat, as they are Universal's biggest retailer! :o

I'm for anything that gets this great music into more hands.

Harry

However, big, small, necessary, or redundant the compilation, the word still needs to get across:

Sergio Mendes & Brasil... are The Best!!!!!! :tongue:artyhat:

Dave

I can see this as a good "door opener" for people who might resist Sergio Mendes because of the Portuguese titles on his other albums and compilations. This all-English compilation might get people to check-out more albums and get hooked. (Hopefully, there is a promo card inside the package advertising the other albums!)

I remember buying "Anything Goes" at Best Buy. Their layout of catagories is so awful that I had to get an employee to look it up on their inventory, then dig around for it. Took 20 minutes and frankly was the worst music buying experiences of my life.

Yes, Best Buy does not have the best selection stocked either. The only thing worse is Borders who has the colossal nerve to sell many titles at list price! Who pays $17.98 for a CD that can be easily found elsewhere for perhaps $12???

Steve Sidoruk said:
Yes, Best Buy does not have the best selection stocked either. The only thing worse is Borders who has the colossal nerve to sell many titles at list price! Who pays $17.98 for a CD that can be easily found elsewhere for perhaps $12???

Steve,
There was a chain out west here called "Tower Records", I don't know if they were out there too, but they were a terrific, smart, well stocked record place that went out a few years back (although they exist on line now), but that was a place I always loved to shop.

Between A&M going down and Tower too, it's a lot less fun to get music :sad:

Coincidentally, I received an e-mail from Tower just last week. While they no longer have their stores, the do have an on-line presence. I too, have been in their stores - especially liked the one on Sunset, where you could find many A&M import CDs from Japan back in the goold old days!

Steve Sidoruk said:
Coincidentally, I received an e-mail from Tower just last week. While they no longer have their stores, the do have an on-line presence. I too, have been in their stores - especially liked the one on Sunset, where you could find many A&M import CDs from Japan back in the goold old days!

I used to go to the Sunset Blvd. and other locations...
Did you notice they have a pretty nice online Herb Alpert selection?

Steve Sidoruk said:

Just FYI...Tower Records online has no connection to the original apart from the name, which a Canadian retailer acquired in the bankruptcy sale.

Russ Solomon started his own record store, R5, in Sacramento a couple of years back, but it folded in May of this year.

Michael Hagerty said:
Steve Sidoruk said:

Just FYI...Tower Records online has no connection to the original apart from the name, which a Canadian retailer acquired in the bankruptcy sale.

Russ Solomon started his own record store, R5, in Sacramento a couple of years back, but it folded in May of this year.

Too bad!

It's a pretty good list, except for "What the World Needs Now". Who was smokin' what to approve that symphonic finish?

Michael Hagerty said:
TulitaPepsi said:
No "Mas Que Nada"?! I'm shocked! :D

Well, in this case "The Hits" seems to be other people's hits: Frank Sinatra, The Springfield Twins (Dusty and Buffalo) :D , Simon & Garfunkel, Jackie DeShannon, Otis Redding and The Beatles.

Always thought Dusty and Buffalo were brother and sister,now I KNOW...

Dan

The real problem is Sergio has so many greatest hits albums already, it becomes overkill, and it probably takes attention away from his current and recent stuff which is abundant. I don't get it- and this collection is really dull...

TulitaPepsi said:
Speaking of which, how is BOM TEMPO selling?

I haven't got it yet, I'm still getting into "Encanto", which I'm very impressed with.
Sergio is a very complicated artist, and he keeps you guessing, which is very cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom