sergio mendes in chicago 1970 or 71?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott

at the age of 13 or 14 my father took me to a Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66 concert in Chicago either in 1970 or 71. the concert was at the Sullivan Theater (or at least at the theater designed by Louis Sullivan at the east end of the Eisenhower Expy). Anyway, other than remembering being there, i can't name any of the songs that they performed or who was included in the band at that time - we were in the nosebleed seats. if anyone was at this concert and has the playlist and list of band members it would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Hi Scott: I don't have the answer to your question but I thought I would say hi. I am also a newer member to this board and I really enjoy Sergio. I just saw him live for the first time at the IMAC theatre in Long Island NY. Great show. They sounded just like the record!

There are some very knowlegable people in regards to Sergio on this board. I hope as you get a response. Take care.

Hi Scott,

I wasn't there at the Chicago concert but did attend a Brasil '66 concert around that time here in Philadelphia. Lani Hall and Karen Philipp were the two female singers, while Rubens Bassini, Dom Um Romao, Sebastiao Neto and Sergio himself provided the backing. It was an exciting show. The opening act was Bossa Rio with Gracinha Leporace on lead. They did a great job too, and the audience probably wondered what Sergio & co. could do to top them. A comedian entertained in between.

The concert I saw was part of the tour they did in support of CRYSTAL ILLUSIONS, as that was the album advertised in the tour booklet, which highlighted the group's recent tour of Japan.

Harry
...with thirty-some year-old memories, online...

That would be The Auditorium Theatre on Michigan & Congress, designed by Louis Sullivan. I heard B66 a little earlier at the original Arie Crown Theatre at McCormick Place opening for the TJB. The next time Herb played at Arie Crown, a year or so later, the whole place burned down that night. The TJB just got their instruments out in time.

Not familiar with Sergio's East Coast touring schedule, but he did play both the Circle Star Theater in Redwood City, California (late 1970) and the Monterey Jazz Festival (early 1971 - my parents took us to this one - Gracinha was introduced as a member of Brasil '66 - Lani, Karen & Gracinha were the vocalists.) In early '72 they played the Circle Star again as the newly rechristened Brasil '77 with Karen & Gracinha. :wink:

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom