• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Sergio Mendes in Seattle October 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiojj

Got the opportunity to finally see Sergio Mendes live....Saturday night the 26th at the Moore Theatre in Seattle. Growing up in Seattle, but now living in Spokane, hadn't been to the Moore Theatre before. Not a bad concert venue--fairly intimate. I was 12 rows from the front. My 14 year old daughter came along--and she noted, she hadn't seen so many older people having such a great time at a concert.

After the opening act--a singer from Tacoma--pretty good--reminded me of Seal musically. Then Sergio hit the stage and opened up with one of my personal favorites--"Pretty World." He performed many, but unfortunantly not all of his hits. I really would have enjoyed hearing "Scarborough Fair," "Look Around," "Like A Lover," "With A Little Help From My Friends," "Chelsea Morning," "Where Is The Love," "If I Ever Lose This Heaven," and some other charted single releases. It was great to have Joe Pizzulo there to sing "Never Gonna Let You Go." That was spectacular. Would have been great to have heard "Alibis," "Real Life," "Take This Love," "Rainbow's End." And others from the 80's. The audience really responded to Sergio--especially with "Mas Que Nada." He wound up doing that twice, 2nd time as part of an encore. The talented people he had performing with him sound alot like the original singers---amazingly good.

With the exception of a few songs I wish he would have done(mainly my personal favorites)---it was a great show. My one real disappointment was there was NO Sergio Mendes merchandise of any kind available--no CD's, shirts, posters, etc. And he didn't do any kind of photo opportunities. I would have bought some stuff! A Sergio Mendes sweatshirt would have been to wear!!

My dad did radio in Seattle and Sergio Mendes was a staple on his show and I grew up listening to Sergio's music. I am on KISS-FM in Spokane daily from 3-7pm, and we do play "Never Gonna Let You Go" regularly. There are times when I wish I was on the air on our sister station KAQQ--they play what is termed "Adult Standards" and they play quite a bit of Sergio.

Hopefully he will return again to the Northwest and I will have the chance to see him in concert and hopefully meet him and have him autograph some of the mint-condition albums and CD's I have of his in my collection.

Overall out of 5 stars I give Sergio's show 3.75.[/b]

Radiojj said:
My 14 year old daughter came along--and she noted, she hadn't seen so many older people having such a great time at a concert.

You mean you've never taken her to a Wayne Newton show in Vegas? :D

It's fortunate that Sergio was able to perform in your area. I can't even remember when I've seen his name in any concerts locally (Detroit area here). He was scheduled last year in December, but cancelled. (At $400/ticket, though, I wouldn't have gone anyway--our local promoters are greed personified!!)

We've got a couple of radio buffs here. What kind of format is your station?

-= N =-

I passed on seeing Sergio in Seattle this time around. I went to his show in Seattle in 2000 and quite frankly, I thought the show was really boring. I didn't know what to expect. I have respect for him on exploring new ideas instead of only playing the hits but it just didn't do anything for me. At one point during the performance, Sergio left the stage and let one of the percussionists go through a box of exotic percussion instruments one by one and play solos on them. I admire the musicians talent to be able to play all of the different instruments, but it felt like an endurance test to me. I'm glad I saw him and feel lucky that I did but at the same time, once was enough.

I went to the concert.

I did not enjoy the opening act. Low budget talent.

I did enjoy Brazil 2002, but the instruments were toooooo loud. I could hardly hear the singers. Maybe my ears are too old, but Lani Hall's sound was what made 66 great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom