• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Sergio's MAS QUE NADA on West Wind Jazz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Just surfing around, I came upon a listing on several sites for something called MAS QUE NADA by Sergio Mendes on the West Wind Jazz label, release date of July 23, 2002. None of the sites had a picture or track listing, but it seemed clear that it was a US issued disc (if it really exists!).

This is either a well-kept secret, or one of those "Muze" bugs that gets reported everywhere that uses the system. Or - could it be the old HERB ALPERT PRESENTS album released domestically?

Anyone know anything about West Wind Jazz as a label?

Harry
...curious, online...

PS: here's one of the pages I found: http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/mendes_sergio/albums.jhtml

If I had to guess w/o any other facts, this would appear to be a case of someone packaging up some Sergio tracks and using a familiar name to market them. Universal, based on what I've read recently, would not readily license their material to an outside label...so I doubt this would contain any A&M material. I've never heard of the label, either, but there are so many small, independent and specialty labels, anything's possible.

-= N =-
...also curious...

West Wind is a Swedish label,primarily dealing with straight ahead jazz. I have a 2CD Thad Jones/Mel Lewis set recorded late 70s in Berlin. I believe the set was also available under West Wind as two seperate LPs during the vinyl era. Their catalog seems to be a mixture of owned material(e.g.-the Jones/Lewis material) and some licensed stuff with no emphasis on a particular artist,sub-genre or label. Artists include Eric Dolphy,Art Blakey and Bill Evans. An interest in Latin jazz has them with recordings from Gilberto Gil,Astor Piazolla and Tito Puente. The Jones/Lewis stuff is OK,sounding a bit undermiked(an ongoing problem for this band's live recordings not on major labels-this might have been originally a radio broadcast) but a nice post A&M snapshot of my favorite big band. Having said all of that,the Mendes material is probably not bootleg material but I am clueless of its origins. Mac

jimac51 said:
Having said all of that,the Mendes material is probably not bootleg material but I am clueless of its origins. Mac

I wouldn't say bootleg per se, but would venture they are non-A&M recordings (probably pre-A&M) that use the "Mas Que Nada" title to provide some kind of familiarity.

-= N =-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom