• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Sergio's Singing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cortnee said:
Cancao de Nossa Amor, I need an aspirin cause Sergio gives me a migraine headache when he sings that particualr song.

Sorry, but you lost me on that one.

I've always found "Cancao do Nosso Amor" to be one of Sergio's best vocals. I'd say it's well-suited to his style. That said, I agree with Jeff. There's a definite style to the way a Brazilian sings a song. Somewhat off key, yes, but if there's one thing a Brazilian can do, it's express emotion through song -- on key or off!! :wink:

Jon

The only part of "Cancao" I don't really like has nothing to do with the vocals -- it's that horn solo (muted trombone?) in the middle -- but even that has grown on me over the years. I don't skip over the song anymore when I play that disk.

Mike said:
probably considers it to be just part of the total package – take it or leave it.

That's the way I've always viewed Sergio's vocals - part of the package. I suppose we can consider it a bonus that he recognized his limitations in that department and always hired competent vocalists to be the main vocalists on his recordings.

Try to imagine any of the classic Brasil '66 albums with no Lani, no Janis, no Karen - just Sergio singing. My guess is that there wouldn't have been many albums in the first place.

Harry

Harry's right. Besides, Sergio is known for dual female vocalists. I've always viewed his vocals as an addition to whatever arrangement he was doing at the time. Being as he's so creative, his vocals are often a pleasant and unexpected surprise.

Just my two cents.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom