Singles on CD??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Song4uman

Hello everyone,
I am going to put together a singles/bside CD set for myself... I was checking on David Grant's website (love that site) and seeing which singles and b sides were on CD and which have not been released on CD. I thought I'd double check some here before I get all of my CDs out and begin searching....someone might know off the top of their heads.....Below are the singles in question for me.
Ticket to Ride
Your Wonderful Parade
Close to You
I Kept on Loving You
Crystal Lullaby (I think this is on a CD....is it 40/40?)
Yesterday Once More
Road Ode
I Won't Last a Day
Please Mr. Postman
Santa Claus is Coming to Town
I Need to be in Love
Calling Occupants
Can't Smile (rerecorded version)
Christmas Song
Those Good Old Dreams
Make Believe...
Look to Your Dreams

Thanks for your help. Since it isn't being released....I'll just make my own.... :)

JOnathan

Chris-An-Ordinary-Fool and I put together a CD set of singles using the mono mixes found on promo 45s. This is the order we used. It's descending order by Billboard chart position of the singles. So it starts with the less-successful and builds towards the most popular. The chart here lists the peak position the song reached in Billboard, and the number of weeks it stayed on the chart. So for a tie, the one that stayed longer is the bigger hit. If both are tied, then the one that did it first is the "better" of the two.

The Christmas singles may or may not be included. I left them off of this list, but they certainly *could* be included. I prefer not to mix Christmas music with the regular tracks.

Code:
Cht Wks      Title
Pos
74  04  BEechwood 4-5789
72  08  (Want You) Back In My Life Again
68  05  I Believe You
67  10  Bless The Beasts & Children
63  06  Those Good Old Dreams
56  05  Goofus
54  12  Ticket To Ride
44  13  Sweet, Sweet Smile
35  10  All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
32  14  Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft
25  11  I Need To Be In Love
17  10  Solitaire
16  14  Touch Me When We're Dancing
12  10  It's Going To Take Some Time
12  13  There's A Kind Of Hush
11  12  I Won't Last A Day Without You
07  10  Goodbye To Love
04  13  Only Yesterday
03  13  For All We Know
03  14  Sing
02  12  Hurting Each Other
02  12  Rainy Days And Mondays
02  13  Superstar
02  14  Yesterday Once More
02  17  We've Only Just Begun
01  17  Please Mr. Postman
01  17  (They Long To Be) Close To You
01  20  Top Of The World

Anyway, this list will give you a starting point as to what the singles were. If you have the REMEMBERING THE CARPENTERS DVD, there's a nice extra on there picturing all of the singles.

Virtually all of these can be found on CD somewhere, though finding the correct single mix can be a challenge. Some only exist on the Japan Single Box.

Harry

And, now that I actually READ your post Jonathan, I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Hello everyone,
I am going to put together a singles/bside CD set for myself... I was checking on David Grant's website (love that site) and seeing which singles and b sides were on CD and which have not been released on CD. I thought I'd double check some here before I get all of my CDs out and begin searching....someone might know off the top of their heads.....Below are the singles in question for me.
Ticket to Ride ------------------------------------------------ mono single never released on CD.
Your Wonderful Parade ------------------------------------- mono single never released on CD. Two versions, one has shorter narration.
Close to You -------------------------------------------------- Use SINGLES 1969-1973.
I Kept on Loving You ---------------------------------------- Only on Japan Single Box without the segue from "Mr. Guder"
Crystal Lullaby (I think this is on a CD....is it 40/40?) ----- Yes, it's on 40/40, but might be a remix there. I forget. Use the album version from SONG FOR YOU
Yesterday Once More ----------------------------------------- SINGLES 1969-1973 - but get an original issue. Some later issues use a remix.
Road Ode ------------------------------------------------------ use the album version from SONG FOR YOU
I Won't Last a Day -------------------------------------------- a tricky one - see below.
Please Mr. Postman ------------------------------------------- I believe this is only on the Japan Single Box.
Santa Claus is Coming to Town ------------------------------ Only on the Japan Single Box
I Need to be in Love ------------------------------------------- Any number of early compilations should have the edited single version.
Calling Occupants --------------------------------------------- Only on Japan Single Box.
Can't Smile (rerecorded version) ------------------------------ SINGLES 1974-1978 from Canada
Christmas Song ------------------------------------------------ Only Japan Single Box - or is it also on the US box sets?
Those Good Old Dreams -------------------------------------- SINGLES 1974-1978 from Canada
Make Believe... ------------------------------------------------ I think it's out there somewhere, but I forget just now. (?)
Look to Your Dreams ----------------------------------------- Ditto. Maybe on the Japanese 3" CD releases (?)

Thanks for your help. Since it isn't being released....I'll just make my own.... :)

JOnathan

Code:
“I Won’t Last A Day Without You” versions

1  ASFY (orig. CD)    Single  Fast
2  ASFY (Rem.)        Album  Slow
3  ASFY (MFSL)        Album*  Fast  *Liner Wrong
3  Singles 74-78      Album  Fast
3  A&M Gold Series    Album  Fast
4  Classics (YOM)    Single  Slow
3  Startrax          Album  Fast
3  Their Great.Hits  Album  Fast
5  22 Hits            Single  Slow  Remix
5  Readers Digest    Single  Slow  Remix
5  Love Songs        Single  Slow  Remix
5  YOM (new)          Single  Slow  Remix
6  Singles 69-81      Single  Slow  Remix  Extended End
5  Gold (UK)          Single  Slow  Remix
5  Essential          Single  Slow  Remix

Harry

I don't think the US single for Mr Guder has been released on CD, it contains an edit version at 2:35, I also don't think that the US version of Look to your Dreams has ever been released to CD that is edited at 4:28.

Once the Japan Singles Box set was released, we got alot that had not been previously released, now if Richard would just work on a US singles version we would be complete. I'd rather him release a DVD soon but after hearing him talk about the official videos from the bonus disc from Japan, you get a good idea how he hates videos, I don't always agree with him but it is what it is. :laugh:.

Thanks so much. We are going to visit family and they have a turn table that will record on to CD......I think I have all of the actual singles that are missing from CDs.....so I am excited about that....just was trying to make sure what I needed to take with. I'll let everyone know how it turns out...

JOnathan

Song4uman said:
Hello everyone,
Ticket to Ride ------------------------------------------------ mono single never released on CD. I have on 45 rpm
Your Wonderful Parade ------------------------------------- mono single never released on CD. Two versions, one has shorter narration. I have on 45...not sure which version...
Close to You -------------------------------------------------- Use SINGLES 1969-1973. GREAT!
I Kept on Loving You ---------------------------------------- Only on Japan Single Box without the segue from "Mr. Guder" I have on 45 b side...
Crystal Lullaby (I think this is on a CD....is it 40/40?) ----- Yes, it's on 40/40, but might be a remix there. I forget. Use the album version from SONG FOR YOU probably 40/40 so don't get the fade ...
Yesterday Once More ----------------------------------------- SINGLES 1969-1973 - but get an original issue. Some later issues use a remix. Got it!
Road Ode ------------------------------------------------------ use the album version from SONG FOR YOU Got it!
I Won't Last a Day -------------------------------------------- a tricky one - see below. I have the 45
Please Mr. Postman ------------------------------------------- I believe this is only on the Japan Single Box. Have the 45
Santa Claus is Coming to Town ------------------------------ Only on the Japan Single Box Have the 45
I Need to be in Love ------------------------------------------- Any number of early compilations should have the edited single version. will check, but also have the 45..
Calling Occupants --------------------------------------------- Only on Japan Single Box. have the 45..
Can't Smile (rerecorded version) ------------------------------ SINGLES 1974-1978 from Canada perfect..have that and the 45 also
Christmas Song ------------------------------------------------ Only Japan Single Box - or is it also on the US box sets? have the 45
Those Good Old Dreams -------------------------------------- SINGLES 1974-1978 from Canada Have the album and also the 45..
Make Believe... ------------------------------------------------ I think it's out there somewhere, but I forget just now. (?) have the 45 unless I find it on a compilation...but i don't think it is..
Look to Your Dreams ----------------------------------------- Ditto. Maybe on the Japanese 3" CD releases (?) album version and 45 also
Thanks again for taking the time to answer. I think I am all set!!

Jonathan

feeling a little sad. Transferred the 45's to CD (kept the volume down a little as there were several people around) and when I listened to the CD, some of the singles have a "warped" sound...I think the Croseley turntable wasn't exactly in sync or something.....so spent the time and didn't get a good result. :confused:

That's a shame, but I've heard that those Crosley turntable/CD makers aren't all they're cracked up to be. Essentially they are inexpensive components thrown together as a low-cost item designed for the masses who aren't all that fussy about their records sound. I guess the idea for these people is that it's a miracle just tho rescue anything from those old slabs o'wax.

I suggest that if you're serious about transferring the sound from your 45s and old albums that you invest in a decent turntable for either your stereo system (assuming you have one!) or directly into a decent sound card on your computer. You'll get much better results.

Harry

Yeah. I have a turntable, but am thinking about purchasing a good USB turntable so that I can go directly into the computer......that way i can fix any scratches, etc. I was just so excited to have these mixes that have never been released.

If you are listening Richard Carpenter.....please release the original singles as a set for the U.S.

:)

Jonathan

Most of the USB turntables are junky and the Crosleys are all junk. The Audio-Technica AT-PL 120 or the Pro-Ject are the only decent USB tables. I use a Technics SP-25 turntable, Audi0-Technica ATP-16T tonearm and Stanton 681 EEE-S II cartridge. Sansui 4000 receiver, Large Advents. CD Recorder is a Tascam CD-RW 750. But that may be beyond your budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom