for me is the epitome of a great brasil 66 track--
those two organ notes
during the chorus
is what makes sergio so great.
and lani's vocal here is what makes
the group so good.

walt

Ok...

Jon, you hit it on the nail with: "sounds like an echo"...

Ok, my thoughts...

I feel that 45s had 2 purposes "back then".
1. For sales
2. Promotion

MAYBE The echo was created for the purpose of "live" television preformances for the consistancy of 2 singers = 2 voices. (make sense?). 1967 is a little before my time (4 years) and I am not sure what role accuracy (2 ladies = 2 voices) played in television performances then. I have seen the Wichita Lineman performance with Karen lipsyncing with Lani on the first verse (which is only Lani singing). And... I have seen Janis lipsync "Ma(i)s Que Nada" which is "Lani and Lani" singing. "Going out of my head" had a definate Lani solo on the Television.

Yes? no? maybe? :D
(Jon, I am going to send you a message when I am more awake.)

Brasil6699 said:
Ok...

Jon, you hit it on the nail with: "sounds like an echo"...

I know exactly what you mean. On the second, "Night and day...under the height of me..." you can almost hear an echo -- two voices that are slightly off from one another. Janis did confirm that she sang the second solo on "Night and day." And, as with Lani on the first album, could it be Janis double-tracked on that portion of the song? Lani's solo (the first "Night and day...") doesn't have the reverb -- at least not from what I can hear.

Brasil6699 said:
Ok, my thoughts...

I feel that 45s had 2 purposes "back then".
1. For sales
2. Promotion

MAYBE The echo was created for the purpose of "live" television preformances for the consistancy of 2 singers = 2 voices. (make sense?). 1967 is a little before my time (4 years) and I am not sure what role accuracy (2 ladies = 2 voices) played in television performances then. I have seen the Wichita Lineman performance with Karen lipsyncing with Lani on the first verse (which is only Lani singing). And... I have seen Janis lipsync "Ma(i)s Que Nada" which is "Lani and Lani" singing. "Going out of my head" had a definate Lani solo on the Television.

You definitely have a point here. I mean, TV was mono back in those days. One speaker = monaural sound. In order to get the realism associated with two girls singing in unison, under monaural circumstances, an echo would certainly do the trick. It would certainly add clarity where otherwise the sound would become flat. Good point, Brandon.

(Of course, the majority of us around here...Neil, myself, Harry, Mike and Bill...we share your handicap of 1967 being before our time...yeah right!!! hehehe!!!)

Seriously, both singers lipsynching at the same time was commonplace. This is long before lipsynching scandals and all that stuff. In those days, artists rarely (if ever) actually performed on TV. They lipsynched and/or played along with a tape of pre-recorded material. I recently saw a Fifth Dimension clip from 1968 -- both Marilyn and Phyllis were "singing" during Marilyn's solo -- much the same as Karen on "Wichita Lineman." I'd say you hit the nail on the head.

Jon

...trying to remember when TV was mono -- let alone black and white, online...

boy do i love the fifth dimension

of course jon, you meant to say florence--
florence larue.

i wish there was a fifth dimension forum

they are woth it

i collected them in my youth side by side with brasil 66
and their careers (for me)
parallel each other in a way in that their first seven or eight album were the strongest
and of course the girls singing in unison.

they also lead me to the fabulous lara nyro
my favorite singer/songwriter

walt

walterphil said:
boy do i love the fifth dimension

of course jon, you meant to say florence--
florence larue.

You are correct...I meant to say Florence. Oops! :oops:

I always associated the sound of the Fifth Dimension with Sergio also. Must have been the time period, the fact that they shared positions on the charts, etc.

Jon

...getting his vocalists straight, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom