Sleep Well, Little Children. Merry Christmas To You.

Another Son

As Christmas dawns, it seems that the Christmas lyrics that Karen clearly believed in so strongly, (and, no doubt, Richard, too), are far from coming true….. the hopes for peace and the messages of good will. It is clear that if one is having a happy Christmas, one is extremely lucky.

A moment’s thought for people of ALL religions, whether celebrating Christmas or not, as well as all the completely non-religious people, and a wish that peace on Earth really could exist, for ALL.

Maybe there’s something we can all do, in our own little way, to bring this about. I’m not sure what…. but ENOUGH WAR!!

Sleep well, little children, WHEREVER you are.

I forgot to ask…. what are some of the most poignant lines that you can think of, from a Carpenter’s’ Christmas song (or other Christmas song), related to the above?

It's not a song, but Fred Astaire's closing lines from the classic TV special "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town" have resonated with me:

But, what would happen if we all tried to be like Santa, and learned to give as only he can give: of ourselves, our talents, our love, and our hearts? Maybe we could all learn Santa's beautiful lesson, and maybe there would finally be peace on Earth, and good will toward men.

To relate this to the Carpenters, I honestly think you touched on a good one in the title of your post: Sleep well, little children. Ah, the joyful bliss of childhood, when we are unaware of everything going on in the world, and to us, there really is peace the world over...and children deserve to be able to sleep well with sound minds. Especially on Christmas, which is the holiest and most magical night of the year for all children. Nothing more magical than waiting for Santa Claus.

Wishing all of you and your families a very merry and blessed Christmas! :)

- Jack

Merry Christmas! This is my art work for a Christmas CD featuring all the songs sung by Karen. It will be be played more now that we'll start the 12 Days of Christmas. :)

Back
Top Bottom