• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Sold a SOTB today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
OK, so this lady came into the store looking for some "Latin American" music for a project that her kid is involved with at school. I immediately thought of Sergio Mendes' TIMELESS but then she said she meant something Mexican, so I showed her Herb's SOUTH OF THE BORDER and played some samples for her. She went for it. I said, the kids might like the Sergio Mendes better because it has some rap in it, and she said she hated rap...so that sealed the deal for Herb. Turns out the project involves the Spanish club so Herb made more sense anyway.

This isn't the only TJB disk I've sold of course, but I just wonder how those teenagers reacted to the Tijuana Brass sound. :wink: There has not been a rush of teens coming in to buy more Alpert disks, unfortunately.

Mike Blakesley said:
and she said she hated rap...so that sealed the deal for Herb.
Mike -- Nice turn of words! Great to see you turn on someone to my fave HA album!! I hope she enjoys the record. Of all Herb's '60s albums, it wished SOTB would enjoy more critical and popular acclaim. Along with Warm it's probably the most unfarily underrated/ignored of his '60s LPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom