• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Somebodys Been Lyin

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolvox

I know RC was a huge fan of Burt
Bacharach and I was wondering
what others think of this song
from MIA. Also there was another
album called Sometimes Late At
produced by BB and Carol Bayer
Sager released around 81 that
includes Somebodys Been Lyin.
It was out of print for many years
but is now available on CD. I
highly recomend this album to any
C's fan. The album contains ballads
that flow together. Lots of horn
parts that remind me of CarpenteS.
I feel the album is a hidden gem.

BB = Burt Bacharach
MIA = Made In America (Carpenters album title)

Harry
...understanding abbreviations, but wishing they weren't so prevalent, online...

SOMBODY'S BEEN LYIN'-great track!Karen sounds cool,sensual.Peter Knight's arrangement is gorgeous,sparkling.Karen and Richard should have done many more songs of this caliber.Karen was born to be a torch singer-and "Sombody's been Lyin' proves it!
Incidentally,I read an album review of "GOLD" the other day,and took notice to the fact that the reviewer pretty much dismissed the whole compilation as being "less than stellar" due to the inclusion of inferior tracks like "Please Mr Postman" and "Theres A Kind Of Hush".Undoubtedly,he would have had a more favorable opinion of GOLD if tracks such as "Sombody's Been Lyin" were included.

I wasn' t enchanted by this song at a first listen in 1981.
The song appears after When You've Got What It Takes, which Richard explains it as an arranger's dream (by which I don't know what he means :oops: and the chorus Let It Out doesn't rightly smooth to me) and also as the closer of side 1.
I thought the song was not strong enough to be put as a closer.

My idea is that the first three songs are very catchy while the remainig two are ,say, more artistic and less easy to appreciate their real beauty.

As I grew older building up more understanding of such elaborate pieces, I became fond of both songs.

Earlier on, I had heard Carole's own version of this ballad and it wasn't to my taste. Her hit Stronger Than Before had more appeal to me so Chaka Kahn's cover version naturally came to me.

Karen made it a really beautiful ballad but to make a better contrast, I feel there should be some other positon in order.
Or this song doesn't seem suitable for this album considering the other selections.
Well, I don't know.
I prefer Somebody's Been Lyin' over The Uninvited Guest but my feeling is that these two songs are similar and a bit too uncatchy to me at present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom