• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

SP-4299 Robin Wilson "Ain't That Something"

Status
Not open for further replies.

snapcrotch

Today I took a flyer on an LP listed on Ebay and 'won' Robin Wilson's 'Ain't That Something' (for $16.24). It's produced and arranged by Bob Alcivar, who was similarly involved with The Fifth Dimension and The Carnival. The only information on Robin Wilson I've found is on AMG and it only mentions Robin Wilson via her 1969 A&M release (SP-4153) as "an extremely minor figure in 60's adult contemporary pop, managing only one album that didn't sell...(her voice is) more of an upbeat Karen Carpenter. 'Robin Wilson' is a delight, well worth searching for..." This makes me all-the-more curious. Without pre-empting a future AOTW, what can Forum tell me about Robin Wilson and "Ain't That Something".
(Obviously, AMG doesn't think it exists.) Thanks, from Snappy

Snap, Robin was featured on at least one Herb Alpert TV special..I believe it was a Kraft Music Hall show, but I'm not certain...I don't remember what she sang; but I DO remember that Herb directed the orchestra. He had just opened with "Carmen", and she was featured as the first act.

One thing I'd like to know...is our own lovely CAKEICER[i.e. Shirley Wilson] related to Robin Wilson in any way? I've wondered that since her first post.... :confused:

I would imagine that the album you have is rather rare, and I've often wondered what happenned to Robin after these so many years....

Dan

The "minor figure" is justified,though it is not anyone's fault. Robin Wilson's self titled A&M album had all the makings of an A&M affair-arrangements by Nick DeCaro,Mort Garson & Don costa,produced by Allan Stanton and featured a Bacharach song(What?No Beatle cover?). AMG's suggestion of Karen Carpenter doesn't make it for me at all,though, and not being a musician,I don't know if they possess similar technical skills. "A young Vicki Carr"?-yeah, and that is fair praise. With a song like "Soon It's Gonna Rain"(from the off- Broadway perennial "The Fantasticks"),she would have made a fine theater singer similar to Jill O'Hara,the original female lead in Bacharach's "Promises,Promises". Around Philly, "Where Are They Know" received some airplay-enough that when I found a cutout copy a few years after its release,I happily picked it up. Obscure albums like these fetching the $20 range on ebay seems appropriate and I suspect you'll find something of interest in the title you won. Enjoy! Mac

snapcrotch: "Today I took a flyer on an LP listed on Ebay and 'won' Robin Wilson's 'Ain't That Something' (for $16.24). It's produced and arranged by Bob Alcivar, who was similarly involved with The Fifth Dimension and The Carnival. The only information on Robin Wilson I've found is on AMG and it only mentions Robin Wilson via her 1969 A&M release (SP-4153) as "an extremely minor figure in 60's adult contemporary pop, managing only one album that didn't sell...(her voice is) more of an upbeat Karen Carpenter. 'Robin Wilson' is a delight, well worth searching for..." This makes me all-the-more curious. Without pre-empting a future AOTW, what can Forum tell me about Robin Wilson and "Ain't That Something"?
(Obviously, AMG doesn't think it exists.) Thanks, from Snappy

Glad you didn't pay that much more for it. I was fortunate to have found it 'round here for $4.99.

Seems as though Ms. Wilson had gone from being a "Liza Minnelli Wannabe" to "Accidently" walking into a Barbra Streisand Session.

Notice how "Hands Off The Man (Flim, Flam, Man)", the opening number on SP 4299 is very similar to La Streisand's version on her STONEY END album, released about a year later. (Columbia PC 30378)

Same Musicians, but Strings Added to Streisand's version; also different Background Singers.

Or the Great Minds of Mr. Bones, (who produced Wilson) and Richard Perry, (Streisand's current shepherd) must think alike. :D

Side 1 of AIN'T THAT SOMETHING seems to have fairly decent material. Though I found Side 2 to be a bit unlistenable, and puts me to sleep. Though find myself immediately waking up as the title-track comes on. :laugh:

If you've got an interest in A&M AND Bones Howe, and The Carnival, (who are SIMILAR to Sergio, but on United Artist/Liberty, while Sergio and Bones made two LP's on Bell, years later) isn't enough, why not try the following:

The Sandpipers COME SATURDAY MORNING A&M SP 4262 and A GIFT OF SONG A&M SP 4328, both recently reissued by the Japanese on CD.

Punch PUNCH A&M SP 4307

Jeffrey Comanor ...SURE HOPE YOU LIKE IT A&M SP 4237, also available on CD via Japanese Import

The Alessi Brothers ALESSI A&M SP 4608, which may also be on Japanese CD; check 'Melody Blvd.'

Dave

...Always...With MAX Info...

Gioccho Adesso: Michel Colombier "Doesn't Anybody Know?" WINGS A&M SP 3503

...saving more o' my comments on A&M SP 4299 for when it becomes AOTW in the future...

Robin Wilson recorded 3 albums to the best of my recollection - one was a Broadway original cast album called Henry, Sweet Henry based on the movie version of The World of Henry Orient. She played one of the girls who is entranced with Henry (played on stage by Don Ameche). She was one of the leads.
Robin was also often on the old Joey Bishop late night talk show- and she usually came on barefoot. I saw her featured on a Don Ho (Tiny Bubbles) special from Hawaii. Frankly, loved her, could do without him....
Her "big" record, in central CA, was her dramatic For Once in My Life - but my favorite - hey, it was summer ! - I'll Remember You. The last I heard - and this was about 15 or so years ago - was that she was appearing with Don Ho in Honolulu. She was a "belter" and compared to much of what passes today as "talent" ....

Six months after my original post, William Downey somehow dug it up, shook off the dust, and gave me the most information about Robin Wilson.
My appreciation and thanks to the New Guy on the Corner.

william downey said:
Robin Wilson recorded 3 albums to the best of my recollection - one was a Broadway original cast album called "Henry, Sweet Henry" based on the movie version of "The World of Henry Orient". She played one of the girls who is entranced with Henry (played on stage by Don Ameche). She was one of the leads.
Robin was also often on the old Joey Bishop late night talk show- and she usually came on barefoot. I saw her featured on a Don Ho (Tiny Bubbles) special from Hawaii. Frankly, loved her...could do without him...
Her "big" record, in central CA, was her dramatic For Once in My Life - but my favorite - hey, it was summer ! - I'll Remember You. The last I heard - and this was about 15 or so years ago - was that she was appearing with Don Ho in Honolulu. She was a "belter" and compared to much of what passes today as "talent" ....

I think highly of Robin's talent, too. I still prefer the debut, but I'm getting to like her second LP, as well. I remember having Don Ho's EAST SIDE, WEST SIDE album--recorded Live on the East Coast and West Coast. Robin Wilson appeared on the "West Side", singing "I'll Remember You", along with a few other tracks with him. Think Arthur Godfrey introduced him on the "East Side".

You're right--HIM, I could do without!

Dave

Mr Bill said:
You're posting doubles again I see...

--Mr Bill

Once again, I got the "504 System Connection Timed Out" message...or something like that! :cussing:

My SHOE usually goes right through my computer screen before I read the entire message! Go through a LOT of Monitors that way...! :help:

Dave

..."Ain't That Somethin'!"...

I just discovered this message board and wanted to add a little more about Robin Wilson. She also appeared on ALL IN THE FAMILY in 1975 as Gloria's best friend "Sylvia" in the "Gloria Is Nervous" episode. That same year she starred in HOT L BALTIMORE which was author Lanford Wilson's attempt to turn his successful play into a sitcom. It didn't work. I believe Robin, who now goes by the name Robin Wilson Graham, resides in California and is a therapist of some sort. I wish someone would reissue both her LPs onto one CD. Her belty version of FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE from the first album is pretty exciting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom