SP 8110 NIGHT & DAY

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimac51

Today I found a copy of Sergio's NIGHT & DAY,A&M 8100,for a buck. This is a compilation of material from the first three Brasil'66 albums,though the cover reads Brasil '77. A Google search shows info at BJ Major's always informative site(www.bjbear71.com) with a photo credit to Paula.Nothing new or special in the song lineup,but this is a mysterious item that I had never seen till today. Are there any other items in a 8100 series? There is no copyright on this,though I suppose this possibly came out between STILLNESS and PAIS TROPICAL possibly to gather some earlier material for future fans who would be looking for the Brasil '77 group(the Capitol Record Club Various Artist A&M compilation,GENTLE RAIN,also credited Brasil '66 material as Brasil '77). The A&M address on STILLNESS is North LaBrea Ave.,as this one does-PAIL TROPICAL uses the P.O.Box 782 address. The label(regular ochre colored) has no copyright,no producers credit,no writer/publisher credits. The catalog number in the dead wax is done by a machine,as opposed to a hand-written style. The credits for the songs are in a peculiar form:the writers are listed on the back cover after song titles,but the publishers are listed seperately further down the cover,in a similar track by track style. Also,there is an asterisk on the back cover at the A&M logo,referring to "Trademark of A&M Records,Inc." at the bottom. The label address is listed,though no mention of tape availability or catalog request,which sometimes would appear during this time. Artwork is cheap-cheapo-a head shot of Sergio in a simple white shirt,the same shot on both sides-no photo credit or album design credit. A disclaimer at the bottom reads:"This stereo record can be played on mono reproducers provided either a compatible or stereo cartidge wired for mono is fitted. Recent equipment may already be fitted with a suitable cartidge. If in doubt consult your dealer." This is rather stilted language for a US album during the end of the mono era and most "dealers" would have no idea what they were talking about. The spine has limited information I also do not remember seeing this album discussed in the 30+months I've been posting here at the forum. Import? No mention. Budget label,a la Pickwick? No mention. Record club? No mention. Any clues,feedback or opinions? Mac

The photo is from the Pais Tropical sessions. IIRC someone somewhere along the line said this was actually a UK release after Pais Tropical. I'll have to dig my copy out, but I thought I had seen a "Made in the UK" and Copyright 1972 on it somewhere, but I could be imagining that.

My guess is this is either a foreign release or a "promotional only" item. A&M's 8000 series was used for promotional records (radio station and giveaways) records until the 17000 series replaced it in the late 70s. I also have a few Latin American A&M records from the early to mid 70s that are in the 8000 series in that region. These are compilations that have no comparable US versions (and some are quite odd).

--Mr Bill

This is one I've heard about, seen on BJ's site and a couple of times on eBay, but have never managed to find. A couple of the eBay versions went higher than I was willing to pay, so this sounds like a good dollar-bin find to me.

I've found the Gentle Rain compilation and the two from the 8000 series that I have are the Forget Me Nots (8400) compilation and The...Album (8096).

Harry
...still missing the Night And Day album, online...

I have two versions of Night & Day...

I located the first copy in one of my favorite used record stores...it was sealed. Thrilled with my "unusual" find, I couldn't wait to get home and give it a spin. Imagine my disappointment on finding a copy of "Herb Alpert Presents Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66" inside! To add insult to injury, the "A" side label was duplicated on each side of the disc!! :mad: Talk about bursting my bubble!!!

Copy #2 came along many years later. It turned out to be Night & Day, inside and out -- vinyl condition marginal. It did, however, beef up my large Mendes collection, something for which I was grateful.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom