• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Spotlight: BEYOND (SP-3717)

What Is Your Favorite Song On This Album?

• Kamali

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The Continental

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Reach For The Stars

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Interlude (For Erica)

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Red Hot

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Beyond

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • That's The Way Of The World

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Keep It Goin'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Factory

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I hear this album nowadays, I often wonder if Herb ever revisits his 80s material, specifically the early 80s stuff. Not that I can afford to go see one of his shows right now, but it would still be cool to find out (even on youtube or something) that he and the band just surprisingly launched into "Reach For The Stars" or "Kamali" or "The Continental" in concert, albeit in a different arrangement.
During medleys, the band does offer a rhythm prelude of "Push And Pull" from FANDANGO, but that's about all I've heard from this era.
Can you imagine a solo trumpet intro of "Beyond" played without accompaniment, arranged to segue into the band kicking in playing something else? Now THAT would be cool.

@MJM 64 The album does hold up quite well after all these years. :agree: I was lucky to find a sealed copy a few years ago, since I had played my original copy a few too many times back in the day on lesser equipment and it had some wear to it. It does certainly fit into a "funk lite" or funk-jazz mode (the Earth Wind & Fire cover tune being a good representative of where the album was at), and certainly danceable at times. But that's what the Randy Badazz and Andy Armer sound was all about, very much tapped into that dance/club vibe at the time. In fact, the RandyAndy album makes a lot of sense in relation to this string of Herb's own albums--having read Randy's bio, he listened to a lot of the same music that I did back in those days, and a lot of that influence shows up in his and Andy Armer's tracks with Herb.

When Captain Badazz was just a little badazz, he would spend hours and hours alone in his room listening to music by James Brown, Michael Jackson, Led Zeppelin, Prince, Sly & The Family Stone, Earth Wind & Fire, Queen, Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder, The Rolling Stones, Bob Marley, and the Beatles.

“Those artists and records brought such joy & happiness into my life. They were my school. And they allowed me to dream and travel to places & emotions I had never imagined.”
http://www.captainbadazz.com/bio.html

The track "Beyond" does sort of come out of left field, though, a synthpop/electronica workout that fits in nicely while offering an alternative flavor to the other tracks. Still one of my favorite solo tracks!

PS--check your private messages here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom