🎵 AotW Squeeze: 6 Squeeze Song Crammed into One Ten-Inch Record (A&M Records SP-3413)

1699505690986.pngSqueeze: 6 Squeeze Song Crammed into One Ten-Inch Record

A&M Records SP-3413
Released 1979

A1: Goodbye Girl (Live Version) 2:49​
A2: Cool For Cats (Single Version) 3:10​
A3: Up The Junction (Remixed Single Version) 3:10​
B1: Slap & Tickle 3:59​
B2: Bang Bang 2:03​
B3: Take Me I'm Yours 3:48​

Art Direction, Design – Chuck Beeson
Bass – Harry Kakoulli (tracks: A2 to B3), John Bentley (tracks: A1)
Cover [Concept] – Jeff Ayeroff
Drums – Gilson Lavis
Illustration [Cover Illustration] – Cindy Marsh
Keyboards – Jools Holland
Lead Guitar, Keyboards, Vocals – Glenn Tilbrook
Photography By [Group Photo] – George Du Bose*
Photography By [Squeezed Cover Photo] – Mark Hanaur*
Producer – John Wood (tracks: A2, A3), Squeeze
Rhythm Guitar, Vocals – Chris Difford
Written-By – Chris Difford, Glenn Tilbrook

Track notes verbatim from the album jacket:
  • "GOODBYE GIRL. Recorded 'live' this version features Squeeze's new bass player, John Bentley, who replaced Harry Kakoulli in the Spring of 1979"
  • "COOL FOR CATS. The edited and remixed single version off the album of the same name, which became the biggest-selling single in A&M/U.K.'s history."
  • "UP THE JUNCTION. The follow-up single to “Cool For Cats” reached #2 on the English charts. This is a remixed single version."
  • "SLAP & TICKLE. The third single off Cool For Cats album is climbing the English charts at the time of this writing."
  • "BANG BANG. The second single off the band's first album U.K. Squeeze, was also a chart success, and has always been one of their most popular stage numbers."
  • "TAKE ME I'M YOURS. Squeeze's first Top Ten hit in England, can also be found on their first album."

Released as a 10-inch EP (because, why wouldn't they?).
Out of print, not available via streaming, and please don't pay the Amazon third-party price gougers!

This is one of my favorite slabs of 10" vinyl. A sort of "Mini-Greatest-Hits-Up-Top-That-Point" Ep! After hearing some cuts on the A&M No Wave Sampler and liking what I heard I grabbed this next before committing to getting all their albums. Obviously I was sold on Squeeze after this...

--Mr Bill

This one I only learned about in recent years, so I've been tempted (sorry) to get a copy of it, provided I find one that is NM or sealed. I imagine many of these out there in the market are quite ratty now.

Those die-cut sleeves tend to be magnets for destruction by the albums on either side in your collection/shelf. The Klark Kent Ep with its die-cut "K" is one that tends to get ripped as well. And we won't even mention the original pressing of Michel Colombier's Wings album! LoL...

--Mr Bill

My later Klark Kent is a later pressing, in an oddly-glued 12-inch jacket (not die-cut) to hold a 10-inch record. I do want to find an original green pressing but clean ones are hard to come by.

I also want an original pressing of the 10" Oingo Boingo because mine is a bit worn, but again, good luck finding one that is even playable anymore. And if one comes up sealed, it's $$$.

I have a couple of records with odd jackets, like Bill Withers' Still Bill and Styx Cornerstone, which have "barn door" flaps and those can get mangled. I keep most records like that in plastic sleeves so they don't get further damage.

Which only reminds me now that I need to get an order together for some rice-paper record sleeves, LP jacket sleeves, and some empty LP jackets...

I have Klark Kent three ways:
10" Green vinyl, die-cut sleeve
10" Black vinyl, die-cut sleeve
12" Black vinyl, sleeve with no die cut (which really loses the "K" effect)

--Mr. Bill

12" Black vinyl, sleeve with no die cut (which really loses the "K" effect)
Yeah, mine's the oddball...10-inch record in the 12-inch sleeve, and it's on the silver/maroon label.

I guess it must have sold well if it was reissued a few times during those early years. I'm not sure when the silver/maroon label made its appearance but unless it was in 1980, I kind of doubt my copy was pressed in 1980 (as per Discogs).

The version I want to get (naturally):

1702517089969.png

And it's interesting that the UK 10-inch has a modified A&M label:

1702517226688.png

Back
Top Bottom