• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Steppin' Out - it's out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that Shout is releasing his new material instead of Concord. I thought SF was only a reissue company. Either way, I can't wait to hear the new album!

Capt. Bacardi

You can lose the commercials with a paid subscription, and create your own playlists. But thing is, a lot of us already own the music we like to play, so other than using Spotify on a mobile device, it really doesn't serve any purpose for me. In regard to Herb's album, I don't need to hear it as a poor sounding streaming version with loud commercials interjected constantly. I'm not that desperate--I'll wait for a CD or FLAC download.

My sentiments exactly. I couldn't have said it better.

I did try programming an A&M-related channel, but it threw in a bunch of shlock that I couldn't stomach. I realized that the diversity is too broad to really do a successful channel. TJB sounds different from Sandpipers; neither sound like Caprenters; none of those sound like Procol Harum; none of them relate to Edu Lobo or Supertramp, Brothers Johnson or Janet Jackson. In this case, I'd rather throw together a playlist myself and play it back via my music server or over the Zune if I'm out on the road.

This is why, when I create such a playlist, I always put the selections in chronological order. They're never going to be a perfect segue, but at least they blend within a general time frame.

This is why, when I create such a playlist, I always put the selections in chronological order. They're never going to be a perfect segue, but at least they blend within a general time frame.
My playlists vary--if I do an artist compilation, I will do it chronological if I can. But, I have a few where I found a nice mix of tracks that sounded good together. I created a cool one with tracks from Pat Metheny (solo and Group) and Lyle Mays, all album tracks, that are very mellowed out and segue into one another--it is like listening to a completely 80 minute program.

Some playlists I create (and label with "[R]") with the intention that they be random. I have a collection of hundreds of 12" singles that I do this with (I found many on compilation CDs, and others are needle drops). Or, just a genre or style of music (such as my ECM Records playlist) that work well as random.

Playlists have replaced the mix tape and mix CDs I used to make.

I was guilty on two occasions here (now fixed!)- but I also got it right with "piqued" a number of times, too. We all get brain cramps once in awhile. :D
I peaked at those posts because they piqued my interest!

I'll wait for the physical CD -- even though there's a 50-50 chance it will get lost in the mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom