Styx CYCLORAMA released

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
A new studio album from Styx, CYCLORAMA, has just been released on the CMC label (BMG). I've not heard any of it, but amazon.com has plenty of information. Six reviews have been posted (averaging 4 stars thus far). The absence of DeYoung drew the most negative review (one star).
This is the first set of new songs from the current touring lineup.
JB

Our classic rock station mentioned the CD today, but they haven't played anything from it. IMHO, it's not Styx w/o DeYoung; it's a farce when the three founding members aren't even in the band anymore. Not that I have anything against the band...just that they call themselves Styx. (But hey, DeYoung lost the court battle on this one.)

At least with REO Speedwagon (their frequent touring partners), Kevin Cronin is still singing lead. Nobody seems to miss Gary Richrath on guitar. :confused:

I picked this album up on the 18th, and Its fantastic.

They did a great job of giving the classic styx sound a modern touch. I really dont miss Dennis DeYoung on this CD. Having experienced Brave New World, this CD is much better off without the broadway type songs he seems to want to peddle as rock. I do miss his amazing voice in the harmonies but he hasnt written a ROCK song since 1978. Cyclorama is just a great rock record that doesnt try to dabble in the adult contempory market (thankfully).

I do prefer Dennis the Rocker. Some of his more showy stuff is OK, but doesn't fit the Styx sound very well. There's just something about the sight of Dennis standing on top of his grand piano singing the end to "Come Sail Away"... :wink:

Ideally he'd have done his Broadway schtick on his solo CDs, and kept rockin' with Styx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom